Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ebay – what do you think to the following message I've received?
  • brooess
    Free Member

See below. He’s right, I’m new to selling on ebay.
    I’m shifting some hifi speakers – for which postage is likely to be c£20 and I’ve had numerous requests for collection/delivery face to face – clearly trying to lower the price by avoiding postage which I can understand.
    I’ve refused on the basis I lose Seller’s Rights + at the top of all messages is the following from ebay. I also don’t want randoms coming round to my house.
    ‘Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs’
    One guy’s response is:
    Your loss….
    I have collected over 300 times before without any problems and never heard of “sellers rights”being an issue.
    If you would rather give your money to the Post Office, then I guess it’s your choice.
    There is however the greater risk of damage and missing goods.
    I notice that you seem to be a new user and I would ventutre to offer some advice regarding collection and posting.
    Do not accept paypal payment for goods being collected as there have been instances of people claiming non-delivery and a refund for collected items.
    Always use recorded delivery for any high cost items posted.

Personally I’d believe ebay over a random unknown…

greeble
    Free Member

You’re being over cautious so I suggest… leave auction run its course. if the winner is local then arrange to meet a mutal public location person inspects item and hands over cash simples.
    tbh it is your loss. I’ve picked up stuff alot of times from sellers on ebay and had some great bargins that way.

Dickyboy

Be careful out there – personally I wouldn’t buy secondhand hifi speakers from ebay unless I could collect in person to be sure they worked & to make sure they didn’t get damaged in transit.

The ebay warning is just to stop you selling & them not getting a cut, personally I always let my auctions run to the end as you usually end up with a better price.

leffeboy

Do not accept paypal payment for goods being collected as there have been instances of people claiming non-delivery and a refund for collected items.
    Always use recorded delivery for any high cost items posted.

I think he’s correct.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If the price is right, just ask him to collect and pay in cash…but tell him you will leave the auction open until you have cash in hand.

I’ve collected a few things that I wanted to inspect before paying, and paid cash. Many sellers prefer it, they don’t pay ebay as much in fees,m and saves the ar5e ache of posting and packing. That’s the main reason you see the stock phrase:

‘Item is advertised elsewhere, so I reserve the right to cancel he auction at any time..’

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Done loads of cash on collection sales/purchases, some unofficial “off ebay” to avoid fees etc.. Never had a problem with any.

theflatboy
    Free Member

By the way, you may have misunderstood ebay’s point about completing transactions “off ebay” – they’re not referring to in person collections, they’re talking about when someone messages you asking you to finish a sale early and then sell the item without incurring fees.

clubber
    Free Member

He’s correct about paypal – cash only for collection.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just don’t use ebay.

khani
    Free Member

He’s right, cash on collection only, once its picked up cancel the auction and all you’ll pay is listing fees.
    It’s actually more risky for him and safer for you cos he loses eBay and PayPal protection cos its a private cash sale..
    Unless he’s a murdering psychopath who slaughters you all when he comes to collect

Garry_Lager

Off-ebay sales are a reality of the site, you can’t put an item up without getting messaged about buy it now these days. You should be open to it for the reasons laid out above – I don’t think there’s anyone on earth who would feel bad for dodging ebay/paypal’s 10%.

You should avoid doing it late in an auction that has a lot of activity, IMHO, just out of good manners. If there’s a lot of people interested, the item’s been up for a good while, then you should let the auction conclude.

tomhoward

theflatboy+1 off ebay means ending the auction early and selling privately, thus ebay not getting a cut of the final sell price.

scaredypants

Unless he’s a murdering psychopath who slaughters you all when he comes to collect …

Actually, ebay are very strong on that point. They’ve never found in favour of the axe-wielding murderer in any dispute to date

khani
    Free Member

I mention the safer for you bit.. But fair point…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – what do you think to the following message I've received?’ is closed to new replies.