Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • ebay selling questions – tips & advice please
  • psychle
    Free Member

I'm going to list these bad boys on ebay, to give myself the widest possible market and hopefully a decent price from a collector somewhere:

I've gone and taken a bunch of decent pics (I think, images can be seen here), so I've covered that angle at least. Now just wondering how best to set up the actual auction/ad on the Bay?

Should I put a 'Buy it now' on there, or a 'Make an offer'? Should I have a reserve (I really don't want this set going for £50 or something!), or should I trust the market? When should I list it and for how long? If I list it on ebay.co.uk, how do I make sure it appears on other international versions of the Bay?

All tips and advice welcomed, thanks

the-muffin-man

With that lot I'd start at a £1 and let it run – if you are prepared to post abroad that will fetch silly money!!

I don't think you'd have too much trouble if you started at £50 though, if you want a bit of security.

psychle
    Free Member

I'm hoping for upwards of £250 tbh, hopefully not too unrealistic as they're pretty much NOS with all the stickers and everything, have only been fitted to a bike and then removed 😀

Is there a way to make sure international sites see it? Or do I have to rely on folk searching?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

that is properly horrible – i remember it coming out and thinking the same.

However it will still sell for a lot! Stick it on with a couple of weeks bidding. make sure you link to it from here, retro bike, mtbr etc.

start at a pound – it attracts more watchers and bidders. trust the market.

user-removed
    Free Member

End on a Sunday night, free shipping to the UK (send 'signed for' obviously), reasonable P&P to most of the rest of the civilised world, no reserve, £1 start, specify no bidders with less than 5 feedback unless they contact you first (cuts out the timewasting teenyboppers).

I personally wouldn't bid on or even watch anything with more than a week's running time but that's just me! You're given the choice whilst listing where you want the auction to run – you can specify certain countries. Do be careful with shipping charges if you're opening up the bidding to Oz and the US…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you want really good money, then you've got to offer it for sale in the US. Have you got any idea what others have gone for?

tails
    Free Member

Booooo your splitting the ibis!!!!

start at 99p no reserve as they will fetch a good price and any evening other than Friday or Saturday.

Find out a price for world wide secure shipping.

psychle
    Free Member

Booooo your splitting the ibis!!!!

Nah, just selling a few of the bits that don't suit it, may as well raise the cash… only selling these and the Super Fly Marzocchis…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

User-removed speaks the truth.

Check charges for posting abroad – it might not seem much but then insuring things for, say, £250 suddenly puts a whole new kerching onto postal costs.

Need b@lls of steel but got for £1 start and no reserve.

Not sure about free shipping, if you're looking at something like £250 then a couple of quid p&p ain't gonna put off serious punters. And eBay don't take into account postage charge when they work out you fees.

Always worth putting a buy-it-now on as well when starting the auction. Especially if you decide on £50 start price. Be warned though, as soon as people start bidding then the b-i-n price disappears (annoyingly IMO).

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Need b@lls of steel but got for £1 start and no reserve

No need for balls of steel if you have a friend with an e-bay account and an IP address…

Honestly, I don't for one second agree with how high ebays reserve fees, especially for bikes (they ought to be capped like cars)

psychle
    Free Member

Well, it's listed now… went with a 10-day auction to finish on a Sunday at 1900… wish me luck!

Now, how can I get this out to the cashed up collectors market? Apparently ze Germans love this stuff?? How best to lure them?

Also, if it does look like they're going to go for a song, can I end the auction or not go through with the sale??

Andy

You need to change the "post to" option on the listing to "world wide" otherwise worldwide sellers will not be able to bid. Once you have received a bid you will lose the option to be able to make that changet. You can always set it at a standard rate for world wide of £20 or so and say thats a max and exact postage to be confirmed at end of auction.

EDIT; oh and change "RARE" to "retro", I reckon you will get more search hits! And why not accept returns? I will give buyers more confidence.

vinnyeh

£15 postage! And just for 1st class. 😯

psychle
    Free Member

ou need to change the "post to" option on the listing to "world wide" otherwise worldwide sellers will not be able to bid. Once you have received a bid you will lose the option to be able to make that changet

**** it… looks like I've mucked it up then… does this really mean international folk can't bid at all?? scheiser if so…

£15 postage! And just for 1st class.

Insured of course… I'm only guessing tbh…

Andy

psychle – Member

ou need to change the "post to" option on the listing to "world wide" otherwise worldwide sellers will not be able to bid. Once you have received a bid you will lose the option to be able to make that changet

**** it… looks like I've mucked it up then… does this really mean international folk can't bid at all?? scheiser if so…

I think thats correct but am happy to be corrected. I think the only way you can change it now is by relisting. What I do is select "Post worldwide", select "sellers standard rate" and put in the max I think it will be, say £40, and then state in the listing that its the max and actual will depend on destination.

Oh and Uk I would say a tenner and state in the listing that it will be REGISTERED AND INSURED post.

BTW Have you updated the thread on Retro bike and asked for advice there? Those guys are ninjas when it comes to ebay.

I'd also end at 9pm on a monday. Gives the US market a more reasonable time to bid without losing the european market.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Also, if it does look like they're going to go for a song, can I end the auction or not go through with the sale??

The last few seconds of the auction are where it will rocket. Honest, I've had stuff on at pennies with 30 seconds to go then the red mist descends and all the sniping bids come in and price will go mental.

Technically once you've sold them you've entered an agreement to sell them even if it is for 99p. The worst you'll get is negative feedback, though of course you could 'send' them and have it mysteriously lost in the post and refund the winning bidder…..

user-removed
    Free Member

No way dude – free postage gets the punters flocking in. I promise. As for all the tricksy stuff and getting your mates to shill bid – don't bother. I've sold everything from £4000 vintage Leica cameras and lenses to £5 'skateboarding knee pads', via 1950s Belstaff vintage rubberised, full length jackets (this last went to a Jap bidder for £3500!)

All items will find their market value – whatever someone is willing to pay. That's all it's worth.

If you've c0cked it up, pull the listing and start again – apologise to anyone who's already stuck a bid in and include a link to the new auction. Email me if you'd like a hand – in profile…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ebay selling questions – tips & advice please’ is closed to new replies.