Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ebay seller shenanigans
  • bazookajoe
    Free Member

Won an auction for an old caravan on 17 December, £500 and was the only bidder, couldn’t make payment as the seller to set delivery cost. They were in Haddington and we’re in Edinburgh so not far so happy paying delivery or arranging to collect. Sent message asking to make further arrangements and again two days later when they hadn’t responded. Received a reply asking to phone them.

When I phoned the seller said they were a bit busy to discuss, and caravan was currently in storage but would phone me between boxing day and new year. I sent them a message confirming what was agreed.

I phoned them on January 3rd when he hadn’t been in touch. Seller said they were going to phone that day but didn’t get round to it and when was a good time to speak, I said now as i’m on the phone. Seller said he’d need to phone back next day as he’d still to check bout the storage.

Just spoke and seller had said it’s £50 delivery which would be fine, but his storage cost would be £350 so wouldn’t sell for £500 unless I pay the storage too, so would be £900 in total including delivery. I pointed out that storage costs weren’t anything to do with me, there was no reserve price on auction or other costs stated. As far as I was concerned I won it fairly. Seller adamant they wouldn’t sell for the £500 I won the auction for unless I paid the storage cost else it wouldn’t be worth their while. I said they’d need to cancel the sale then.

Figure that this is just one of those things and nowt much I can do, though are there any other options through ebay like opening a dispute? Found through googling that seller had previously had the caravan for sale for £1500 on gumtree so obviously they were hoping for more.

Bombers / wee in shoes or give it up?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Give it up, lazy attempt to sell something has gone wrong and you’ve had your time wasted.

Do you really want a £500 caravan?

nealglover
    Free Member

Give up.

Not worth the hassle.

Just tell ebay that the seller changed the price after the auction had finished. And refused to sell at Auction end price. Then leave it at that.

They don’t have to sell it to you if they don’t want to.

eBay might close their account, they might not.

But that won’t make any actual difference to you getting hold of a caravan.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Did want the caravan as it was in good condition for it’s age, though realise if they didn’t want to sell it for what I won it for there’s probably not much I can do. Just a bit miffed

Cougar

Chancers. Did you ask them to store it? No. SEP.

Cougar

if they didn’t want to sell it for what I won it for

That’s what reserves are for. Halfwits.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Just report it to ebay and leave feedback. They’ll get a strike on their account and a negative feedback from you but really that is the most you can hope for.

You’re not going to get the caravan sorry to say,

sugdenr
    Free Member

I would play them at their own game, tell them you have decided to pay the full cost if they deliver and you will pay cash on delivery.

When they arrive tell them just like they did, you changed your mind and you are not prepared to pay the 900, offer them anywhere between 550 and 900 as you choose or tell them they can take it back and put it back into their very expensive storage.

If you think the caravan is worth it then there is a deal to be done.

If you decide not to do this then when they send the transaction cancel request via ebay (only they can do it) refuse and lodge a default against them – they will loose their ebay fee of £50 for their trouble and you can leave negative feedback.

maccruiskeen

Suggest they honour the sale of the caravan for £500 and put the ‘storage charge’ back on ebay and see if anyone else buys it 🙂

Really though – walk away, they’ve failed to sell it once. They’ve now auctioned it – and having done so are sabotaging their own sale. They don’t want to sell it. They are racking up storage charges and still don’t want to sell it. They are in denial about how much money they’ve lost and wasted on the van and are determined to keep loosing and wasting more money as a result.

If you want a cheap caravan make a call to a few yards that store caravans – people exactly like you seller eventually abandon the caravan, stop paying the fees and the yards sell the off for about £300.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ebay seller shenanigans’ is closed to new replies.