Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ebay seller refunded me due to mistaken description – who pays to return item?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Just been refunded in full for something genuinely mis-described but if I send it back I’m going to be out of pocket.

Is that right?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No. Make it clear it’s their mistake.

Be reasonable with the return costs. Dont leave feed back until you get a full refund (“full” includes your return costs).

johnhe

I’ve found that generally, returns seem to normally be at the buyers cost. Not always, of course, but I generally feel that companies who pay the return shipping are going beyond the average to set themselves apart.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What do you mean by “Genuinely mis-described”? The seller made a mistake, rather than trying to pull a fast one?
    He’s refunded you already yet you still have the goods?
    Seems like a decent chap. Don’t be greedy! You wouldn’t get any more from a paypal dispute…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Eh? The seller misrepresented an item. Why should the buyer be out of pocket?

I’ve had a list of sellers recenty selling misrepresented crap and in every case there has been a short debate about me loosing £10 – £15 return postage.

In each case ebay insisted I get the return postage refunded. Dont accept anything less.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why should the op be out of pocket full stop. He’s not being fussy or done anything wrong?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The law (Sales of Goods Act, backed up by the Distance Selling Regulations) states the seller is responsible for return postage, you should not be out of pocket for their errors. Common sense really.

However, be warned, we’ve just had a seller refuse to refund our return postage, and despite the threat of legal action against them, eBay/PayPal (who couldn’t give a flying **** about UK laws) sided with them.

You are 100% within your rights to tell the seller their goods can be collected at any convenient pre-arranged time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ebay seller refunded me due to mistaken description – who pays to return item?’ is closed to new replies.