Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ebay scammers from Israel, any one had this happen to them?
  • zer0c00l44
    Free Member

I have got my Ibis on ebay for sale and have had 2 bidders bid from Israel that I have had to cancel. The first bid until they were the highest bidder and I had to tell them I wont post out of the country.He/she had 1 feedback. They said OK.

Then I got up to this, this morning.

Hello,
    I placed a bid on your bike even though I don’t live in the UK.
    I plane on flying to London next week so if I’ll end up winning the bid I’ll pay when the bid ends and then fly over to pick it up myself.
    Hope that’s fine with you. How far from London are you located?
    I guess you’ll pack and get it ready for shipment – right?
    Tnx,
    Roni

Bid canceled. I mean, is there no where closer they could buy a bike from that doesn’t involve a more than 4000 mile round trip.

It absolutely sickens me that the lengths these people are willing to go.

Any one else experienced any thing like this?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

For future reference:

My Ebay > Click Site Preferences on the left hand side menu > scroll down to Buyer Requirements and hit edit on the right hand side.

I have mine set up to block the following:

Don’t have a PayPal account
    Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 1 month(s)
    Have a primary delivery address in a location I don’t post to
    Have 4 policy breaches reported within 1 month(s)
    Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower

Set your auction to UK only, and then they will not be able to bid in the first place.

Any one else experienced any thing like this?

So no, no I don’t 😉

nuke

It absolutely sickens me that the lengths these people are willing to go.

😕 You what? They only want to buy your bike and could be perfectly legit and, if you ‘allow’ overseas bidders then what do you expect? Does your listing state no overseas bidders? Do what bingohoohaa said next time.

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

Bongohoohaa, my listing is only for UK residents and has no shipping option for any where else in the world. That is usually more than sufficient to not get bids from any where else in the world.

Nuke, I hope you are joking, who goes to all the fuss of traveling over 2000 miles to pick a bike up and then travel back with it and pay for the bike to go back with them. Surely you can see its a scam if you cant please dont ever open an Ebay account.

Paying for the bike at the end of the auction and then collecting the bike is a known Ebay scam where they then say they did not receive the bike and claim their money back.

nuke

I hope you are joking, who goes to all the fuss of traveling over 2000 miles to pick a bike up and then travel back with it and pay for the bike to go back with them. Surely you can see its a scam if you cant please dont ever open an Ebay account.

Got an account thanks and had it for years 😀 He didn’t say he was in London just for you…yes, could well be a scam but equally if i was an mtber in Israel i may not be able to easily get brands, certainly secondhand in the right size/model, that we get here so easily. Still feasible but id be asking lots of questions before agreeing to the sale

Paying for the bike at the end of the auction and then collecting the bike is a known Ebay scam where they then say they did not receive the bike and claim their money back.

Every collection ive done on a sale, i do a receipt, two copies, buyer & seller both sign. ID if necessary

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

I just can not see the feasibility of buying a bike from the UK and paying to ship the bike over with them on their return. The bike is going to cost them over a grand, then return plane ticket and paying to ship the bike and possible import taxes if they pay any.

I realise they might not have the same options for bike buying as us over here but surely there are closer more convenient options.

All that plus the fact I already had some one from Israel trying to buy the bike a couple days earlier and I have only advertised it for the UK sets off alarm bells to me.

Would it not be cheaper to pay for the bike to be shipped to Israel?

I think so.

kerley
    Free Member

Where they live is irrelevant if they are going to pick it up from you. They may as well live 10 miles away. Pay for item, pick up bike from your house and then claim they haven’t got it.

It is a local pickup issue, which would just need signed receipts etc,. as evidence they have the bike.

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

If they are going to all the trouble of coming over 2000 miles via plane then they can change their currency to UK Pounds and pay for the bike that way.

I just ant to sell the bike with zero hassle and with out having to check identification and not knowing if it is legit and then getting a signed receipt that can mean nothing. Scammers have been known to give false details you know.

And any way It is UK ONLY auction.

nealglover
    Free Member

Local pickup, cash on collection.

No problem.

nuke

End of the day, its your sale and if you dont want to risk it which is fine, just add the seller who wants to fly over to your blocked bidders list

singletrackmind

Hi my name is Levi .
    I work for Ernst and Youngs in Israel brokering overseas investment in our infrastructure, most of the investment comes in from the USA ,but some does originate in London.
    I fly to London once a month on business and hope that I can pick up your bike as Ibis have no dealer network over here. I am over for work on Thurs and Fri , then visiting with friends saturday and fly back sunday at 4pm.
    Would you be able to meet me at an arranged time at a tain station as I dont have a car this trip?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ebay scammers from Israel, any one had this happen to them?’ is closed to new replies.