Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • eBay scam?
  • g5604
    Free Member

Sold a baby carrier on ebay, seller asked for a refund as said item was fake. I rejected return, ebay refunded money – two weeks later no money and no carrier.

The case had been closed by ebay, I can’t see how to reopen it – anything I can do?

devash
    Free Member

Sadly there’s nothing you can do apart from report it to the police as theft by deception. Nothing will come of it but at least the statistic is there so that one day something might be done about the crapshoot that ebay has become.

bruneep

Yup looks like you’ve been done over.

They have your goods and your money.

Ebay is a terrible place to sell now.

onandon
    Free Member

You kinda messed up by rejecting their return. Should have called eBay, or asked then to call you by online form.
    They would have sorted it.

I sold a Paul smith jacket a few weeks ago, guy said it was fake. ( it wasn’t )
    People say things are fake as eBay make you – as the seller, pay for the return. Effectively the buyer can buy and take a look at the item without risk, knowing they can return at your expense.

Nothing wrong with the system if you know how to use it.

g5604
    Free Member

How did I mess up? Crazy. I provided proof that is was real in the case and ebay ruled in their favor and refunded before I received. I can’t even leave feedback.

legend
    Free Member

you might as well just post up their address for funsies then. Might even find that someone local could send their mum round

Daffy

g5604 – Member
    How did I mess up? Crazy. I provided proof that is was real in the case and ebay ruled in their favor and refunded before I received. I can’t even leave feedback.

By rejecting the claim rather than entering arbitration. If you’d have agreed to the return, eBay wouldn’t have refunded the money until the item was proven to be returned to you.

Kahurangi

There must be a STW’er near your buyer’s location. 😈

onandon
    Free Member

^ exactly as Daffy said.

Kahurangi

Yes, that may be why eBay have ruled against the OP, but assuming that the OP is a good chap* and that the buyer started a frivolous case against him, do we not agree that the OP at least deserves his property back?

* not a classifieds only user, infrequent posting history over several years = one of us

Daffy

I’m not (nor do I believe is anyone else) casting aspersions. I was simply explaining what might have happened. Whilst I agree that the OP does deserve his property back. Upon refunding, Ebay may have told the buyer to destroy the item as the selling of knowingly fake goods is a crime.

In a strange twist of fate, I have been in a similar situation to the buyer, in which I unwittingly bought a fake (im not saying yours is fake OP) Sling on eBay. The manufacturer confirmed it was fake, the seller refused to take it back. eBay refunded me and told me to destroy the item.

IF the buyer has managed to prove that it is indeed fake, then following the logic of – the item was for sale as the seller had no use for it/wanted money, but the item is fake and cannot legally be resold at all, therefore the item has no value.

g5604
    Free Member

The buyer provided a tracking code to indicate they have sent back the item – but will not give me the same code. It seems very easy to do this scam – I think i will monitor the buyers ebay account and do the same back.

ski
    Free Member

Could you not take them to small claims court?

I did it a few years back, think it cost me £35, all done online and you can claim the £35 back if you win.

Saying that, if you win, you will still need to get them to pay up 😉

onandon
    Free Member

small claims court Is generally a waste of time. As you say, you have to get them to pay.
    I won a case a few years ago but gave up once the cost of the debt recovery became apparent.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How much would it cost to get them to the point of having a CCJ?

Daffy

The buyer provided a tracking code to indicate they have sent back the item – but will not give me the same code. It seems very easy to do this scam – I think i will monitor the buyers ebay account and do the same back.

Contact eBay immediately.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ring ebay. If you dont get a good response hand up and ring again. Repeat until you get someone who GAS

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘eBay scam?’ is closed to new replies.