• This topic has 41 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • ebay question (buyer trying it on content)
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member

Sent a frame overseas and the buyer is ranting that its not what he wanted (after seeing more than two dozen snaps and asking about a million questions).

basically he is trying it on and looking for £250 to sort out things that werent problems to start with.

He has raised a not-as-described thingy via ebay. As he paid via BACS can ebay knock me up for the dosh if he pushes it?

Options and opinions please!

uplink
    Free Member

Give him the option of sending it back [at his cost] & refund him his purchase price when it turns up
    Either that or tell him to go whistle

clubber
    Free Member

If he paid via BACs then there's no paypal protection so I'm pretty sure that ebay can't directly claim the money back.

Obviously you may well end up with -ve feedback though.

How about the pics and details of what you described/answered and we can all be the jury? 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

is he right or wrong though?

if it isnt what he wanted then he's shit out of luck, unless you made out that it was something it wasnt.

if he bought something in error that isnt your problem. if the item is wrong then it is!

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Think I will give him the option of agreeing to disagree but putting some cash his way so that he doesnt leave -ve but I guess that is his choice anyway!

BlingBling
    Free Member

Are you kaesae??? 😆

tracknicko
    Free Member

you're gonna pay him to not leave negative? admitting guilt if you ask me…
    if he bought it in error and it was correctly described then eff him!

freeform5spot
    Free Member

whats that?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

No, his punctuation and spelling are too good, and he's just not 'rad' enough…

freeform5spot
    Free Member

tracknicko – I guess you are right. I will tell him politely to shove it!

Stiggy

I had the same problem with a bloke from Italy that I sold a frame to (he was claiming allsorts of bogus damage). Stood by my guns and ebay backed me up. Be super helpful and informative when dealing with ebay if it's turned into a dispute, you can phone them too.

hora
    Free Member

Why do you post overseas?!!! No offence but I wouldnt.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

he was happy to pay postage and so why not I guess (this problem notwithstanding of course!)

DezB
    Free Member

If he doesn't like it he knows what he can do…. stick it back on Ebay.
    Offer to let him use your photos when he re-auctions it.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry. I was being helpful. What aspect does he feel isnt as described?

Marge
    Free Member

Why do you post overseas?!!!

What's that got to do with it unless of course there has been a miscommunication due to language? We've seen enough examples on here of British E-Bay tossers to realise that location isn't the issue. At least in this instance there has been a BACS transfer so there is no chance of being f*cked by PayPal & the buyer.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

colour and decals and now shock.

he thinks the colour is not as shown in the pics and that the decals have lifted more than shown in the pics.

the main one though is about the shock. I had to take it off to get the rear brake through. Hand tightened it back up again to save him the bother when he fits his. Now he is saying that the bearings are shot in the back as there is play in the shock!

now he has taken the whole frame to bits and removed the all bearings and is making comments on them.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, it's a second hand frame, got to expect some wear. Think he's just trying it on. If he's taking the bearings out, he's probably damaged them.

Caveat Emptor & all that….

hora
    Free Member

freeform5spot – ah and you cant get him to pop into a bikeshop for them to verify either way. Bugger probably tries this on, then sells on the frame. Looking at his/her ebay ID- what does he normally sell? 🙄 (just a guess mind).

Marge
    Free Member

Sounds just like a stupid over optimistic E-Bay buyer..

Like mentioned above – it's not new.
    If you buy from photos you take a risk… That risk can be anything from colour differences or bearings in the case of FS frames.

How would these 'issues' justify 250 quid anyway?

hora
    Free Member

I'm guessing servicing the shock, full respray, new decals and bearing kit?

Marge
    Free Member

Re-spray 🙂

and compensation for the 'emotional distress' by the sounds of things…

freeform5spot
    Free Member

I'm thinking tightening the shock up (free), clean and spray with GT85 (£3.99), a new decal (£10) and regrease (free) = £13.99.

carlos
    Free Member

uplink – Member. Give him the option of sending it back [at his cost] & refund him his purchase price when it turns up
    Either that or tell him to go whistle

+1

You can't be more fair than that. As long as it's as described in the listing.

PePPeR

I've got a slightly similar situation with an old digital camera I sold on ebay, It was an old Leica Digilux 1 and it still had its box, I didn't say anything about it having cables but the buyer is now hassling me because it doesn't have its video cable or a mains cable with it, I didn't mention them in my auction and there was never a mains cable supplied with the camera when new, he's also complaining that the seven year old battery doesn't hold a charge, but in my original pictures I photographed it with the camera switched on and the lens is out. The only thing thats in his favour is that I used Ebays autofill for the camera description and it does say it has video cable with in the description but this is when its new, it also says it had a 64mb memory card and funnily enough he doesn't mention that I supplied a 2gb card with it though. Its very difficult selling stuff on ebay these days,I'm stuck in that if I offer him a partial refund it implies I'm guilty when I don't feel I have done anything wrong and I would have answered any questions if he had asked me before the auction finished.

Sorry to hijack your thread a little, but I'm like you stick to your guns be polite and if its raised through ebay explain everything to them and ask them their opinion.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Totally agree with the return option – it's the way to go. Because then even if he opens a dispute then Ebay will take into account you are willing to offer the refund and will side with you.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

ebay cant do anything with regards to arresting funds as this is only possible via paypal. If you think the buyer has a point maybe meet him someway if he doesn't and he's purely ripping the piss just ignore his rants and take the negative, its only one ffs. Having had dealings with you myself, Pete, through the classifieds maybe he does have a point with regards to not receiving expected goods……. ❓

br
    Free Member

Is he german?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pepper – without seeing your listing it's a tad tough, but you're responsible for checking the listing contains ONLY the things you're selling. No cables – dont include it in the listing even if with auto-fill.

I've been on the other side of this, I know what it's like to receive something vaguely like the description (in that it's close enough to be arguable) but still not quite as shiny and as-new as advertised. Offer the return option, if not, he can lump it.

PePPeR

Yeah you're right, its a bummer, offer to return posted to him.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just tell him to send it to Moz for a tune-up. Be good as new.

hora
    Free Member

freeform5spot – Member
    I'm thinking tightening the shock up (free), clean and spray with GT85 (£3.99), a new decal (£10) and regrease (free) = £13.99.

Slighty OT but if it was a Orange sent back to them you'd be looking at £400+ 😆

sugdenr
    Free Member

If you didn't mis-sell it, its his problem. The colour was wrong in the photo? Get real. The decals are a bit too lifted? Grow up, its a bike not the mona lisa.

So you got negative feedback, someone doesnt love you, so what – it is gonna change anything? is it gonna stop people buying from you/you selling? I have one negative feedback in 400 positive, and that was from an unreasonable moron. Who cares, it makes no difference to anyone.

Just ignore him. In a weeks time you both wont care.

This is a lesson to all DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL payments for goods. In this situation paypal would just refund him and you would be screwed, plus fees!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He wasn't Russian was he? I had someone asking if I could dissasemble a FS frame to make transportation easier & 'how much would postage to be to Russia' Told him to do one.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

As he paid via BACS can ebay knock me up for the dosh if he pushes it?

Nope

Daffy

Yes, ebay can knock you up fo the dosh. Their new seller protecton covers cheques and BACS. THEY will refund the buyer and then persue you for the money. They can even take it via the means you use to pay your bill to them.

It was in the new revised TnCs that came into effect last month.

Hairychested
    Free Member

ask him to post back securely, refund the item minus fees, inform ebay you won't be completing the transaction

hora
    Free Member

Daffy, your kidding? Another reason not to post overseas and only to accept cash on collection, but then I had a few auctions pulled for saying 'cash on collection' in my auctions. Feckers.

mieszko
    Free Member

Option with accepting a return would be ok and he would probably think twice about sending it back. First of all You refund him only the frame price and not the postage and he has to post at his own expense. New eBay T&C's are a bit stricter and it doesn't particularly work in sellers favour. I had a guy asking for a refund of some Asics shoes he bought from me. It was all ok but after a month and leaving a positive feedback he asks me for a refund as he went to a sports shop and someone there said they don't look genuine 🙂 Problem was I didn't have a receipt from Decathlon as I got them some time ago and that would probably sort it out quicker. I told him I'll refund him his cash minus postage and he'll have to post at his cost. He wanted me to refund him all and add the return postage on top. He than made a PayPal claim. My description was accurate and it did match the shoes so eventually PayPal decided in my favour.

Some people are a bit optimistic with what they expect. If there is a play in the bearings than it's normal wear and tear. Second thing if he stripped the frame and it's now in bits how will You be able to tell he wasn't the one to cause the damage as he is not an qualified mechanic 🙂

There is nothing wrong with sending abroad (except Nigeria) and You'll get PITA buyers here as well. If You're a private and not business seller the frame was sold as seen and because it was used he should expect some wear (like with the decals) and that he thought the decals were not lifting as much. Was it in his dream he visualised how his perfect secondhand frame would look like and this one didn't match his vision?. You described it to Your best knowledge and there was no hidden damages You were aware of. One negative feedback will not cause any harm anyway and You can add a reply under it as well. Don't pay him to leave You a + feedback as he'll know he'll be able to push it even further. And also he shouldn't be disasembling the frame in the first place as it's now not in the original state he received it.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

nice one mate.

I have checked the ebay T&Cs and it does appear on the face of it that if it came down to it they could chase the seller for the cash even if BACs was used.

Unlikley to come to that though and there are ways of impairing payment if you felt you were hard done by regardless of what ebay decide.

I am sure he is trying it on but we shall see.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘ebay question (buyer trying it on content)’ is closed to new replies.