Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • EBay quandry
  • kevin1911

I sold a carbon frame on eBay last week believing it to be in very good condition. The buyer contacted me within a few hours of it being delivered to say that there were multiple cracks around the pivots. The pics he sent weren’t conclusive, but I said no probs, send it back I’ll give you a full refund. He agreed to this but I think he’s now going to try to get it dealt with directly with the manufacturer, and only if he doesn’t get what he wants from them will he send it back for a refund. I’d prefer to deal with the manufacturer myself so I know that the request will be made with the right approach and attitude. Is there anything I can do here? Am I right in saying that as far as eBay are concerned he’s entitled to try and get it repaired/warrantied before returning for a refund?

riklegge

If you are the original owner, presumably any warranty the manufacturer provides will be with you?

hugo
    Free Member

He bought it with the intention of trying it on with the manufacturer in order to get a new one for an old price, and if it fails, no loss for him.

Not great on his behalf, but he’s done it now, so I’d stick a deadline on it and then he’s keeping it (2 weeks maybe?).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kevin1911

I’m the 2nd owner. It’s made by one of the companies that have been known for excellent service, even when it’s not the first owner. But I’d expect that sort of courtesy is highly dependent on the story and the tone of the request. I think I’d know how to write such a request, but not sure this guy does, so I fear he’ll burn my bridges before sending it back to me.

tomhoward

Contact the manufacturer yourself, now, explain the above. They can make a call on who to help, if either of you.

kerley
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound right. He either wants an refund or not. I don’t think he has any right to mess around for a while trying to get something fixed and then deciding. You have offered the refund, if he wants it he needs to take it.

I would contact eBay and ask them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they are clearly taking the piss and you have offered a refund they need to accept or decline this

One of the reason i almost never sell on ebay is it allows sellers to take the piss

Rorschach
    Free Member

He’s thinking that he’ll send it back and get a brand new one,whilst paying you for a second hand one.
    He can either return it to you for a refund or accept it as it is.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Has he opened an eBay/Paypal dispute? If so, just follow the procedure. When asked for your response, offer full refund and send postage label.

He has x days (30 I think) to respond or return, then the case closes.

So the outcome will be binary. Either he’ll return it within the timescale and Paypal will refund him, or he won’t. Whatever he does with the item in the meantime doesn’t really matter to you.

If the manufacturer is as reasonable as you say, you can explain all this to them at a later date and it sounds like they’ll be cool.

eBay is full of utter spunktrumpets. Just let the system work the dispute through, and don’t worry about whatever other dumb shit the buyer wants to do.

tomhoward

Point is, if he gets the frame back he can go to the manufacturer and sort something out on warranty potentially. If matey boy goes steaming in and pisses them off, then sends the frame back, OP will have no chance. If matey boy gets what he wants, he gets a new frame for the price of a second hand one. Or he sends it back to the OP who can only sell a damaged second hand one.

scaredypants

IMO the approach should be, if the manufacturer declines mateyboy’s warranty claim OP should ask ebay why he should then refund (as frame has been investigated and has “no” fault)

Sundayjumper

Maybe he’s angling for a replacement from the manufacturer on the basis of his story / a few photos. Once his new frame arrives he’ll send the old one back to you for his refund. He now has a totally free spanky-new frame. Win-win.

Of course, the manufacturer will have logged the frame number as having been replaced under warranty, so if it really does fail on you or a subsequent buyer, you (they) are SOL.

kevin1911

Jees, I hadn’t even considered that one Sundayjumper. I’d hope that the manufacturer would want the old frame back to verify the issue before sending a new one… Or would at least want evidence of the old one being destroyed. I’d hope! I’ll email eBay in the morning but as others have pointed out, they seem to always support the buyer not the seller.

kevin1911

On a more positive note… “Spunktrumpet”! What a brilliant phrase!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘EBay quandry’ is closed to new replies.