Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ebay Q
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I bought an item for my son via ebay. The item never turned up so I contacted the seller to let them know. Got a reply telling me it was posted on the 25th January. I waited a couple of weeks but still no item arrived.
    So, I contacted the seller to ask him how we best resolve this as I've never encountered this in the last 7 years I've been using ebay. I got no reply so I opened a case with ebay using their resolution centre option.

I now have a message from them. The seller has provided shipping information.

I now have to respond if I am satisfied with the sellers action. I can either say yes and close the case or escelate it to ebay.

I thought that if the seller has proof of posting (which I don't know if he has? I assume he just gets an automated email asking 'when did you post said item?') then they can use this to claim from the Royal Mail?
    The problem seems to be that the Royal Mail have lost it. But shouldn't the seller refund me and then claim against the Royal Mail?

Has anyone had to go through this? How did you resolve it?

Cheers

user-removed
    Free Member

Seller must instigate the procedure to claim a refund from the PO. Seem to remember they want you to wait six weeks or somesuch though…

andrewh
    Free Member

Seller should refund you and claim from RM.I keep my proof of posing until feedback is received if your seller dooes the sma ehe can ague it out with the post office, like getting blood out of a stone mind.

Just check the listing to make sure they haven't mentioned anything to put the onus on you to buy shipping insurance if you want it. I list my items as 'Postage is Royal Mail 2nd class, happy to send first class recorded at buyer's expense' so my buyers know it's not recorded. If your seller hasn't done something similar then the onus is on him.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

standard listing. 'seller assumes all responsibility for this listing' – nothing much else I can see.

Should I ask him to report it to ebay? then he can go through the process? It's now just another hassle I could do without…..

🙄

MikeG

Continue with the claim, it is always the sellers responsibility to get the goods to you – no matter what they put in the listing about insurance etc.
    If the seller can provide proof of delivery, ie a signature from a tracked mail service then ebay will side with the seller and you will have to fight with RM if you are sure it wasn't you or anyone at your address who signed for it. If all he has is proof of postage then ebay will side with you – and it is the seller who has to go to the RM to instigate a claim on the postage insurance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

RM lost a package I'd sent…I put a claim through after 2 weeks and got a cheque after a further 2.

Escalate it!

uplink
    Free Member

Escalate it

tails
    Free Member

As above really, the problem comes with RM not paying up for something they lost leaving the seller out of pocket. Rather than be out of pocket he has chosen you to be out of pocket! 👿 The above is correct but I do have some sympathy for a small seller.

uplink
    Free Member

The above is correct but I do have some sympathy for a small seller.

Only from a hassle POV
    The seller can claim off RM, he gets 30 odd quid as standard & can take more cover at minimal cost
    Anything I sell – I make sure it's covered
    It may not be the quickest or smoothest claims procedure I've ever come across but it usually works in the end

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks people. Much appreciatted.

kaesae
    Free Member

You only get 45 days to claim and it's better to cancel a claim later on than lose out. If the seller is ignoring your emails slap him with negative feedback until he gets in touch and sorts it out. Demand that he tells you what service was used to post the item.

If the seller doesn't respond contact ebay and find out from them what exactly is happening then come back on here and I'll tell you what I would do, if you want!

Ebay 02080802101 unless they've changed it again. You need your last 4 digits of the credit or debit card registered with them after that just keep shouting agent down the phone.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks keasae, I've currently escelated it with a short but diplomatic note to say that I feel it only fair to refund myself and then the seller can be compensated from royal mail. not sure when they'll get back to me though…

kaesae
    Free Member

Always better to be safe mate. Don't risk your money. When you buy something on ebay always ask what postal service is being used and if the frame will have tracking and insurance upto it's value. If it's sent first class it has a certain amount of tracking that the seller can use to cover themselves with ebay but at £39 comp it's useless if you've bought something at £500.

I've been trading on the bay for years If you have any questions just let me know. I wouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt actions speak louder than words and this seller should be helping you out!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ebay Q’ is closed to new replies.