Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • ebay – paypal you sold your item but now you have to wait for your money
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

I recentley sold my bike, well bits of it as it was split to build up a new one.

I opened my Ebay account and they said YOU HAVE TO USE PAYPAL as a payment option.In fact I even put collection preferred and got a warning stating was breaking some rule.

Now I’ve sold my bits but it looks like the end of October before the funds will be cleared is this normal?

Are they just skimming the interest off literally millions of pounds in ebay users paypal accounts by putting it all in some big holding account.

I’ve heard its all about buyer protection but how does this stop someone just knackering using the gear in a month then requesting a refund.

wwaswas

I sold something and Paypal wouldn’t release the funds until positive feedback was left.

Maybe end of October is just the default ‘well there’s been no feedback ro complaints so we’ll hand the cash over’?

unovolo
    Free Member

Having to offer Paypal as your main way of receiving payment has been obligatory for ages though it doesnt stop you listing Cash on Collection as a option either.

Regards getting payment I can transfer received monies from my Paypal account to my bank account within a day or 2 of receiving it.

Had a ebay account for 11years and probably Paypal the same so dont know whether that makes a difference or that my seller status is ‘Above average’?.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

That seems a bit much to me. Surely if you verify your bank account with paypal it should be fine. I for one wouldn’t be happy waiting more than 3 days (BACS clearing time) for me to get my money if I’ve sold something and then subsequently taken said funds out of paypal.

Contact their help desk if I were you, what happens if the buyer doesn’t leave feedback? I’ve had that happen to me before so would they just keep your money?

robdob
    Free Member

I think ebay are trying to a) be more like a shop so people think that they are shopping at Amazon and have the same backup/expectations of service and b) charging so much to sell because of a).

I’ve listed a lot of things on eBay over the years but in the last year I’ve only gone for collection only and ended 95% early when people have asked and can come and pick up and pay cash.

If they aren’t careful they are going to suffer in the long run as sellers realise it’s just not worth it any more. Most stuff on there is new stuff from big sellers now when I search for stuff.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I sold something and Paypal wouldn’t release the funds until positive feedback was left.

WOW they don’t tell you this crap when you sign up that’s all hidden till there’s a problem

Just spoke to Ebay they say unless positive feedback is left or a tracking number delivery plus 3 days is confirmed this will be the case, gutted also if you are left negative feedback this will also work like a credit record, black mark strike means your back on probation

I wish I had known this earlier, can people just pay direct to paypal and not use Ebay at all?

wwaswas

can people just pay direct to paypal and not use Ebay at all

they can but they then lose all buyer protection so why would they?

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

So add this to the frankly ridiculous “cut” both eBay and paypal take when you sell something and it makes eBay even less appealing to sell stuff on now.

philxx1975
    Free Member

they can but they then lose all buyer protection so why would they?

Dunno about that I’m quite trusting and haven’t ever been scammed but it seems to almost let someone have the opportuniy to play a system, I’m only just reading about Re; scams and frauds and its quite complex and unnerving TBH

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think it’s a new user thing – you just have to ride it out, or sell elsewhere!

mudshark
    Free Member

Paypal has buyer protection right?

wwaswas

yes, but for ebay purchases it has to be linked to the ebay sale.

muddy9mtb

back to the original OP – this has always been the case with PAYPAL
    shame you had to learn the hard way with (assuming) a large amount of money from your bike.
    Frankly it is ridiculous that they INSIST you MUST have paypal listed as an option for payment – ANY protection offered is for DELIVERED items only and then items DELIVERED BY COURIER with a tracking reference. There is no option to remove it even if you specify CASH ON COLLECTION which PAYPAL SAY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO when you clearly cannot post or intend for it to be collected in person – CONFUSED?? well how about “ar*e” elbow springs to mind. After the latest round of ebay intrusion to the seller buying requirements I’ve ditched it and try to sell direct through here.
    just ignore their requests and specify this directly in your listing – their is nothing they can do to stop you doing it becuase of the way they have gone about telling you not to accept paypal (???)
    if someone does pay by paypal tell them it’s a deposit until they turn up and pay in cash then refund the money through paypal, or they not getting the item.

wwaswas

I’ve ditched it and try to sell direct through here

I hope you give stw a similar level of commission on any sales that you make 😉

muddy9mtb

😯 lol – at 15% maybe not….
    sometimes that was acceptable until they started to take it off the postage, then it wasn’t worth it

br
    Free Member

+1 and for at least 4 years – as that’s when it occurred for me

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Nope. If you really are stuck they pretend to be a different company.

Shysters. Really worth avoiding if at all possible.

iffoverload
    Free Member

yep PP just told me to sort it direct when I had a problem with a goods transaction, mind you they still kept the comission.

there must be someone else other than fleecebay.. costs are silly now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So add this to the frankly ridiculous “cut” both eBay and paypal take when you sell something and it makes eBay even less appealing to sell stuff on now.

It’s not that bad as a business though. Paypal fees are comparable to credit card fees, and ebay fees aren’t disimilar to what it costs to advertise stuff. And there’s no risk of it not selling (otherwise there’s no fee). The alternative would be to pay STW or someone the 10% of the items value, have a banner advert, and hope it sold.

When you considder ebay reaches millions of potential customers, and millions more via google-shopping, it’s a bargain.

muddy9mtb

it wasn’t so bad until they started taking that 10% off the postage charge as well? that’s not fair particularly on auction items where its difficult to gauge an end price and generally I would load up the postage to at least cover the fees, yes your “not supposed” to do that but who are they kidding… tell you what I’ll start everything at 99p then when it sells at 99p and costs £2.60 + £1.10 signed postage you can fleece me for the miniscule amount I’ve just made – and by the way it’s not your item ebay it’s mine and it was worth allot more than that. Don’t forget the paypal fees which ARE NOT cheap – 3% percentage plus 20p??? what for…a load of guff.
    remember I’m no business seller, just a muppet trying to sell a few bike bits. which by the way I have a shimano front crankset 38/24 pus a windproof lusso black top for sale if anyones is interested 8) cue shameless plug for my FOS
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/maxxis-high-roller-26×21-lust-shimano-xt-crankset-m785-38-24-165mm-arms

mudshark
    Free Member

generally I would load up the postage to at least cover the fees

It’s people doing this sort of thing that made them make the change – or at least people getting silly with postage costs so in some cases something worth £10 sold for 99p but had £9 of postage, or whatever, but it really only cost £1 say to post.

muddy9mtb

I know what your saying, but the knee jerk reaction to sorting the problem from those that abused the already in place policies impacted everyone. Offering “free postage” sounds great until you have someone who wants to return an item…how do you extract out the postage fee from that refund?
    they had a policy in place but choose not to enforce, just like most of their policies really.

cookeaa

If they aren’t careful they are going to suffer in the long run as sellers realise it’s just not worth it any more. Most stuff on there is new stuff from big sellers now when I search for stuff.

Isn’t that why they bought Gumtree back on 2005? Ebay is becoming a bit pricey to sell with unless you are a commercial outfit it’s no longer an “Online car boot sale” its a “commerce platform” Paypal is the real money spinner now anyway as they make money out of a lot of online transactions, especially those away from ebay…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘ebay – paypal you sold your item but now you have to wait for your money’ is closed to new replies.