Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ebay now charges a final valuation fee on postage
  • DT78
    Free Member

Appears to have been a recent change.

Means an item I recently sold is going to cost me more money to post and fees than I have actually received. It would actually save me money to throw in the bin and not have to package and drive to the post office.

Not sure if there is much point in selling stuff on there anymore…

passtherizla
    Free Member

Sucks doesn’t it. Waste if time and effort. Grrrr.

loddrik
    Free Member

eBay (well, the consumer really) really needs some competition to drive prices down a bit.

Swelper
    Free Member

Gumtree is where its at really

DT78
    Free Member

How is gumtree for bike parts (like mid range few seasons use stuff that doesn’t get any interest on here…)

Also got a reasonable amount of designer clothes to shift, too good for the charity bin.

durhambiker
    Free Member

After not having used it for years I recently decided to sell some stuff. Didn’t bother to look through the T&Cs, so found out after selling various items that PayPal were going to hold onto the funds for up to 3 weeks “just incase there’s an issue”. Wouldn’t even hand over the postage fees, so had to pay out myself to post the items. Then discovered that rather than actually taking their cut before giving you the money, eBay give you all the money, and then charge you in one lump later in the month. Not been hugely impressed with them

ski
    Free Member

FB is now my preferred way of getting rid of my tat, no fees, local buyers and cash on collection 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But then you have to suffer Facebook.

mav12
    Free Member

gumtree are owned by ebay iirc

enzee199
    Free Member

Not sure if there is much point in selling stuff on there anymore…

No, not if you’re an average Joe. Ebay’s all about big massive sellers who save on postage by bulk buying.

I’m sue that’s been the ebay strategy for a while though.

Jamie
    Free Member

gumtree are owned by ebay iirc

Yup.

petefromearth

Gumtree is good for some things, but I do encounter a lot of wierdos on there. Nigerian princes too would you believe! I never give out my phone number first, and never my address until I’ve spoken to them and they sound normal/not a burglar.

Gumtree has a fair few scammers too. Once I bought an expensive-ish guitar off eBay. The next day, the exact same ad, word for word, same photos, appeared on Gumtree for exactly £100 less than I paid.

I only use it for furniture and low value things where eBay is too much hassle. I certainly would not sell anything bike related on there, with the amount of bike theft around here.

CarlThomas
    Free Member

EBay’s 10% fee on shipping price was applied quite some time ago.
    The latest increase is the raising of the sellers fee cap which was £70 to £250
    So…if in August you sold a bike worth £1500 you would have been charged £70. Today? £150!
    Change in service offered? None
    Pure greed.
    We do need an alternative to eBay as whilst the service they offer is good, the charges are getting out if hand.
    I would like to see a Close My eBay Account campaign on a certain day
    Of the month… Maybe if eBay see a significant number closing their account on one day they may consider their excessive charges.
    Pipe dream.
    Oh…and let’s not get started on their tax avoidance

Jamie
    Free Member

The latest increase is the raising of the sellers fee cap which was £70 to £250

Not checked in a while, but that seems veeeeery steep if true.

Edit: 😯

atlaz
    Free Member

It was probably to stop those people selling something for 10 quid and charging 80 quid shipping

Northwind

atlaz – Member

It was probably to stop those people selling something for 10 quid and charging 80 quid shipping

Yep. And also made things fairer when you sold things for a fixed price including shipping.

Ebay’s still expensive but it gets you access to the biggest audience in the world, if you don’t think you can sell an item for 10% more on there than you can elsewhere then don’t use it, basically.

CarlThomas
    Free Member

Would I make it up Jamie? 🙂

I don’t agree regards the postage. 1. We now have to artificially increase postage charges to take into account eBay’s greed and 2. EBay actually limit the postal charge on many items.

I also disagree with the ‘if you don’t like it go elsewhere’ type argument. Whilst I fully appreciate that we live in a free market economy eBay pretty much have a monopoly. Yes, well done EBay, good business model yadda yadda yadda, but you are being excessively greedy, and let’s talk about your tax contributions from the millions of pounds turnover in the UK.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I don’t agree regards the postage. 1. We now have to artificially increase postage charges to take into account eBay’s greed and 2. EBay actually limit the postal charge on many items.

Aye, they started doing that to stop the cheap item/expensive postage type scams. I sold some text books and was limited to postage of about £3.50. University textbooks are heavy and cost 3 times that to post with RM (couriers were cheaper in the end, but not £3.50 cheap!)

DT78
    Free Member

Well, after my initial shock of the fee invoice I’ve worked out that on the satmap 12 I tried to sell on here for £300 (with no interest until I put it on ebay…). It eventually sold for £375 including postage which puts me at about £311 minus all the deductions. So despite a large chunk going to ebay I did actually make more than I expected on that item.

The other item…a couple of books, it actually cost me money to sell them.

the-muffin-man

The other item…a couple of books, it actually cost me money to sell them.

You could just put a start price and postage cost that covers your postage cost, fees and a bit of profit?

Every item doesn’t have to start at 99p.

bland

Or

a few weeks after selling, go to resolution centre, open case, cancel sale for reason “other” and send.

Most click cancel, some question it where i just say apologies, i sent it to you in error, please ignore, some decline and most ignore it.

In all but decline cases you then receive a final value fee credit once you close the case after 7 days!

Cheeky yes but causes no issues and you can still leave feedback. So if it happens to you you know why, just click accept. Its a strength in numbers thing

rj2dj
    Free Member

It has stopped people quoting ridiculous prices on postage. I actually think it’s a step in the right direction, though of course I’d like the fees to be lower.

If sending anything remotely heavy then go for a courier like MyHermes. They are cheap and cheerful, but will get the job done cheaper than RM.

brassneck

If sending anything remotely heavy then go for a courier like MyHermes. They are cheap and cheerful, but will get the job done cheaper than RM.

Beware of the size restrictions though. Looking like I mgiht hgave to resort to Yodel for a frame <shudder>.

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve found recently I’ve been getting 10% more by selling via pinkbike. eBay is dead for bikes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ebay now charges a final valuation fee on postage’ is closed to new replies.