Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ebay – not as listed, what are the options?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I've just received an new SDG Bel Air from a supplier on ebay. It was listed as titanium but because it also mentioned cro-mo rails in the description I emailed for confirmation and was assured that it was a titanium railed saddle. I received it today and the rails are clearly marked cro-mo (they also don't flex when squeezed between thumb and forefinger like the ti. rails on my other Bel Air do).

Although the price I paid would have been a good deal on a ti. railed saddle it certainly isn't for a cro-mo railed one. It's early days and hopefully it'll all get sorted amicably. I've offered to return the saddle for a refund or replacement or said that the seller could refund half the price and I'll keep it (I might be able to fit the uppers onto the ti. rails of my current saddle). Is there anything else I should be doing this early on, or is it just a case of waiting for the seller's response. Obviously I'm holding back on feedback until things reach a resolution.

tails
    Free Member

sounds like your doing everything right. who is the seller i don't wanna trade with them.

PJay
    Free Member

Well, I don't think that I'll name and shame (not yet anyway), it could have been a genuine mistake. I don't think that they looked at the saddle when I emailed, they stated that it was an RL model which they only do in titanium. It's also one of the new all brown models and I didn't think that the cromo ones came in any colour other than black. I suppose that it's possible that the wrong rails got fitted at the factory or maybe SDG do do some coloured OEM ones. I'm hoping that it gets resolved though otherwise it's not going to be the bargain I thought it was.

nickjb
    Free Member

there is a time limit on starting an official dispute so don't leave it too long. Ebay seems to side with buyers in disputes.

PJay
    Free Member

I've finally heard from the seller who's spoken to Silverfish; apparently the brown RL Bel Air only comes with ti. rails. However, since a magnet sticks to these CR-MO marked rails something appears to have gone wrong. Hopefully I should get a good resolution.

PJay
    Free Member

Now that's interesting, I've been in touch with Silverfish UK too and the brown Bel Air is available in CR-MO. I wonder what's going on.

uplink
    Free Member

I wonder what's going on.

The sellers lying?

andyfb78
    Free Member

did you pay with paypal?
    if so you WILL get a refund, regardless, they simply organise one, and believe the buyer up to £500 where they require 3rd party input.

I know as I have just been victim of a muppet who knowingly bought the wrong thing and claimed a refund off me….. I had no choice, paypal just reversed the payment.

you will have to post with proof of postasge and it will take 10-28days for them to make a decision…

PJay
    Free Member

So what's the process for returns? They've offered a refund but I've just found out that the seller is a well know retailer with a somewhat checkered reputation (although they have 99.5% ebay feedback). Since the item is significantly not as described do I have to send it back and trust them to then return the payment (and presumably I'll need to cough up for recorded delivery to prove they've had it) or should I be able to ask for a refund before returning the saddle?

I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt for now but I'm starting to get a bit concerned.

— EDIT — Yes I did pay will PayPal, so I should be covered. Will I get my postage costs refunded?

andyfb78
    Free Member

First look on the paypal website under disputes or claims, maybe give them a ring for their advice. then email ebay trust and safety to lodge it in their system. they will just advise you to contact the seller, but at least they then have arecord.
    Paypal is an ebay company, but they work independently, so don't share info. (they may on more expensive items) but your contrct is with paypal (who you paid) so they will sort it if the seller is awkward.

make sure you have proof of postage and maybe take pics of condition and have a witness to the packing and then send back. paypal will refund you the money if you do not get it back from the seller. though this can take 28days.
    they then chase the seller, so you will be covered.
    it is possible the seller can raise an appeal on damaged returned goods, hence the pics and witness, but the chances are very slim as Paypal are not helpful to the seller.

hope that helps.
    good luck

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi P Jay

Any chance you could drop me a mail?

Richie@silverfish-uk.com

Thanks

PJay
    Free Member

Email on its way.

wwaswas

ooh, maybe it's a fake?

chakaping
    Free Member

Time to name and shame, before anyone else is taken in by this ruthless fraudster.

PJay
    Free Member

It could be a genuine mistake, especially if the brown versions do come in steel and titanium railed versions, mix ups do happen. They've agreed to an exchange so hopefully I'll get my saddle!

I've heard people comment that there's no difference in feel between steel and titanium railed saddles, but swear that my ti. railed Bel Air is much more comfy than the steel railed one on my other bike.

higgo
    Free Member

Ebay item number: 320449853015
    Titanium in title, Cro-mo in spec, shop in Northwich
    (which by coincidence is where Dave Hinde trades from)

Merlinman

Leopard, spots 😀

PJay
    Free Member

The saddle did have titanium in the title and cr-mo in the specs. but I emailed for clarification before bidding and was assured that it was titanium.

I'm not sure whether to send the saddle back to the shop now or wait.

higgo
    Free Member

If it were me, I would do it through Ebay and get my refund before letting go of the saddle.

There are some vendors who I would trust to deal with directly but many who I wouldn't.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – not as listed, what are the options?’ is closed to new replies.