Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ebay joker question.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

I bought an electrical item on Ebay. Item is actually broken, in multiple ways, none of which are mentioned in the listing.

I kick off, emailing him through Ebay’s resolution centre. Messages go back and forth for a while. At first he blames the couriers, but when I point out that there’s no damage to the box he changes tack and accuses me of doing the damage myself. I take loads of photos and upload them to the resolution centre. He then claims the item in my photographs is not the item he sent (?).

Then he says “just send it back to me then”

Problem is, I don’t trust this guy. If he’s prepared to post a broken unit and then lie about it, is he really gonna say he’s received it back and refund me? And when I say broken I mean twisted metal/broken plastic-non functioning-electrical buzzing-broken.

Is there a way of escalating the dispute so Ebay gets to see the discourse etc? From what I can see it just keeps giving me the option to respond back to him. Which I’ve had enough of now. He’s clearly trying it on.

I also suspect him of driving up the price artificially, I lost the initial auction when it went well over what it was worth. He then emailed me after the fact saying the winner refused to pay and did I want it? But that’s just suspicion really…

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s very likely some of the damage was done by the couriers as it was so poorly packaged that a slight knock would’ve broken internal components, but other damage was so severe that it must’ve been done before transit.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There is a time frame after which you can escalate. 9 days from original filing?

Never engage in further conversation after they start getting crazy. Just stay quiet, wait and escalate. eBay can read the messages and tell they are a nutter. Though, just cos they can I dunno if they do or just do ‘refund’!

Then you post it back with a delivery confirmation service, uploading the tracking #.
    Once it’s delivered they refund

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nemesis
    Free Member

Does it really matter. The item wasn’t delivered to you as described.

Make sure you take lots of pictures. Send it back recorded. You’ll have to follow ebay’s resolution process.

edlong
    Free Member

I also suspect him of driving up the price artificially, I lost the initial auction when it went well over what it was worth. He then emailed me after the fact saying the winner refused to pay and did I want it? But that’s just suspicion really…

Very, very likely in my experience. The giveaway with numpties is when you get the “second chance” message within minutes, or even seconds, of the auction ending. eBay has made it much harder to spot – until a few years ago you could see who the other bidders were on items and spot multiple accounts / people getting their mates to bid, but not any longer.

I remember one where I got outbid, and within minutes had the message that the winning bidder had won two auctions for the same thing and didn’t want it, did I want to buy it at my previous highest bid price? No thanks. Couple of days later, the item’s relisted, and the highest bidder was immediately the person who had “won” the previous auction. eBay don’t care, it was reported and the seller’s account was suspended and then back online within weeks. They (eBay) take a cut of the final price, so stopping people artificially inflating prices isn’t exactly in their interest.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ah, so there’s a timeframe. After which I’ll be able to escalate. Great, thanks guys. Yeah, I’m not gonna talk anymore with him, good tip.

franksinatra

I found eBay resolution people really good.

I purchased electrical goods that turned out to be fake, apparently from a UK seller. When I raised complaint the seller offered a refund if I returned them, to China. Raised a dispute and was contacted immediately by eBay, they read the messages and immediately refunded.

My advice, follow the process and escalate. If you have returned and he has not refunded (Including your postage) then eBay will sort it out. They usually fall on the side of the buyer anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

Go here:
    http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/eua?query=1309

Click on the Call Us link (gives you a passcode) – phone the number

Speak to a rep and get all the info added to your case. It’ll do you more good than posting on here!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d also rather not pay the return costs. Fair enough if I’d changed my mind or something, but he’s basically sent me a pile of junk knowingly.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The bloody halfwit’s just emailed me shouting that if he doesn’t receive it by Thursday he’ll ‘close the case’

😀

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, right. He can’t close the case and it’s open for 8 days.
    Ebay will get your return costs refunded too.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The funny thing is, I don’t think he realises that all his replies are being recorded in the resolution centre. Reading through all his messages; he’s managed to make himself look stupid and dodgy at the same time.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thought I’d update on the (strange) outcome of this.

After eight days I ‘escalated’ the case to Ebay customer support. Less than twelve hours later they refunded me no questions asked.

Result. Except I’d not sent the item back yet. I expected a torrent of abuse from the seller but heard nothing, which was odd. After a day or so I emailed him to tell him to pick up his item or bung me some money to post it back to him. He emailed back to say that no refund had been taken from him so just to bin it.

Strange indeed. Has Ebay taken the hit to keep us both sweet I wonder?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Don’t think so. When he gets his next ebay bill it will probably include the refund.

bombjack
    Free Member

After eight days I ‘escalated’ the case to Ebay customer support. Less than twelve hours later they refunded me no questions asked.

Result. Except I’d not sent the item back yet. I expected a torrent of abuse from the seller but heard nothing, which was odd. After a day or so I emailed him to tell him to pick up his item or bung me some money to post it back to him. He emailed back to say that no refund had been taken from him so just to bin it.
    This is great from a buyer perspective, but its crap for the seller – I sold a rear shock on t’bay which the buyer then destickered and claimed was blown, I told him to send it back as the one he pictured didn’t look like mine – Just a plain black air shock, he didn’t, paypal refunded him and I lost the shock and the money.
    Ebay is full of jokers and scumbags.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t doubt it. In this case though, the seller knowingly posted me a very obviously broken item which was not mentioned in the listing. So I’ve no pity for him personally.

muggomagic

2 reasons why I try to avoid selling and also buying from private sellers on eBay now. It’s just too much hassle as there are just so many asshats on there.
    I sold a lupine light on there a few years back which clearly stated in the title and description that the light wasn’t working as the HID bulb had blown. I even posted links to lupine’s dealer website detailing cost of repair etc.
    The person that bought it emailed me saying it didn’t work and wanted his money back. I said it clearly states it in the listing. He then raised a dispute stating it didn’t arrive and PayPal gave him his money back! so ended up £200 out of pocket. When I finally managed to speak to someone at paypal saying that it must have arrived as he emailed to say the light didn’t work, they just said there was nothing they could do about it once the decision had been made.

bombjack
    Free Member

asshats

Now there is an under used word.
    Love it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ebay joker question.’ is closed to new replies.