• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alanl.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ebay – I've seen it all now…!
  • allthepies
    Free Member

STRAAAAAVVVVAAAAA…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is this legal?

No, but not uncommon.

I’ve seen a few in Reading, they’re not as quick as a moped, no quicker than a fit guy on a road bike really.

SaxonRider

It looks very similar to the old Hercules mopeds that I grew up around.

They’re not such a bad idea, as long as we don’t pretend they’re bicycles. I would think of something like the thing on Ebay as more like an ‘ultralight’ motorcycle, in that if the engine dies, you can still pedal.

Why are they illegal?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Looks quite French.

Edit: the above is what I’m heading towards with my statement. Just the ticket for getting morning bread in the sleepy rural village.

molgrips
    Free Member

He needs to sort those brake levers out.

And presumably give it lights, indicators and a number plate.

piemann
    Free Member

There’s a guy in Manchester selling similar bikes on Facebook.
    He calls them Kwikasfucki (sp?)

SaxonRider

Just the ticket for getting morning bread in the sleepy rural village.

Quite right! My parents used to ride them in Bermuda, so bought one for us to use at home in Canada. It was a pleasure to nip down to the shops on, or wherever.

JackHammer

When I used to work in Newport there was a guy who would pass me on the way home with one of those attached to his bike.

zippykona

No tax, no insurance, no mot,no motorbike crash helmet. Probably an instant ban as soon as you put it on the road.

cokie

Not sure my Thule would support that monster. I’ll just have to collect and ride it home.

SaxonRider

No tax, no insurance, no mot,no motorbike crash helmet. Probably an instant ban as soon as you put it on the road.

But if you bought one, what would need to happen in order to make it compliant with all government and insurance regs? Would it be possible in the UK to actually custom make something like this, and get it retroactively approved?

verses

No tax, no insurance, no mot,no motorbike crash helmet

God bless Hooky Street
    Viva Hooky Street
    Long live Hooky Street
    C’est magnifique Hooky Street
    Magnifique Hooky Street

thenorthwind

No tax, no insurance, no mot,no motorbike crash helmet. Probably an instant ban as soon as you put it on the road get caught.

FTFY.

D0NK

as thenorthwind says getting caught is the issue. I passed someone on my commute a while back, old specialized iirc, something in a tape wrapped box on the rack powering one of the wheels, I knew it was dodgy coz the guy didn’t have a chain fitted. Another guy I’ve seen a few times has a leccy bike, I think I’ve spotted him not pedalling uphill so presumably both of those are illegal, but with a silent electric motor (if the first guy actually fitted a chain) if you noticed a policeman taking an interest you could just start pedalling and blag it was a proper e-bike, with that noisy petrol engine strapped on to your frame you’re going to struggle to claim it’s legit and it’s rather noticeable.

But the chances of anyone actually looking out for this stuff is very low, just an extra something to throw at you if you get caught doing something else illegal (or used as a mitigating circumstance if some idiot drives over you)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

my gf drive on it easy 🙂

I bet she does! I bet she does! Eh?

docrobster
    Free Member

You’d have to get it inspected by someone from dvla and as above would need lights and a speedo but no reason couldn’t get it on a Q plate if it was considered road safe.
    When I was 17 I stuck a 6v battery, head lamp and a brake light on my old mx bike and had it road legal for a bit. Till I crashed it into a parked Capri. Local coppers didn’t know what to think.

crofts2007
    Free Member

It’s the fact it is using V brakes in an attempt to stop it that worries me.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Vees… In the dry 🙂

seavers
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDqiZoZzUM[/video]

tor5
    Free Member

Been removed? Anyone got a copy of the listing?

alanl
    Free Member

Nothing new.
    And I dont think there is need for any paperwork etc so long as the power level is below a certain level.
    https://bsamuseum.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/1954_winged_wheel_usa.jpg

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – I've seen it all now…!’ is closed to new replies.