Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ebay item- dispute, or just forget it?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Following on from this thread..

The wheel in question was part of a complete bike. Just got round to taking the cassette off. Otherwise a good buy. Nice guy to deal with, so hoping he’ll resolve it but so far not that promising..

Forks are also a bit leaky – but having had them apart now, its just an o-ring issue so i’m happy to sort that.

Now the proper RS kit is £21 from TFTuned. The freehub is £58 at CRC.

Seller has highlighted that;

Overall the bike was a very good price (I don’t doubt this)
    They had to swallow the paypal fees (part of selling on Ebay)
    They had to pay £40 for postage (contacted the seller, said i’d use the buy-it-now option if they’d post it for free)

He’s also said that as a used item I should expect wear and tear. No issue with that. Also don’t doubt the fact that you wouln’t spot the hub unless you remove the cassette (like I did)

He’s offered a refund of £20.

I’ve asked for £50 against the freehub.

So if he doesn’t accept that should I take the £20 and put it down to experience, or raise a dispute via paypal? I am not returning the bike (some parts have new homes)

I don’t think a transcript of the email corrospondance is needed, but can be provided (i’ve been polite though as far as I can tell!)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Take the £20 and take it on the chin/as experience imo

racing_ralph
    Free Member

oh and contact hope -see what they say about a freehub – they may be pretty good

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you dispute it the best you can expect is to return for a refund. Assuming you don’t want to do this, the only other option if to take the £20.

harrisphil
    Free Member

depending on the freehub you want but £20 should buy you a wheel on ebay

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

5thE,

Options for sorting a dispute are;

Offer you a partial refund (If you’re offered a partial refund, you can accept it, request a different amount)
    Ask that you return the item for a full refund
    Ask that you return the item in exchange for a replacement item, if you agree

Although of course there is no guarntee that’ll get me anywhere!

5thElefant
    Free Member

5thE,

Options for sorting a dispute are;

Offer you a partial refund (If you’re offered a partial refund, you can accept it, request a different amount)
    Ask that you return the item for a full refund
    Ask that you return the item in exchange for a replacement item, if you agree

Although of course there is no guarntee that’ll get me anywhere!
    You’ve already asked and ebay can’t enforce a partial refund. I guess they might fold under pressure, but realistically if you’re really not happy you’re looking at a refund.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’d take the £20 and put it to experience.

a cheap bike of ebay – bound to need cash spent on it.

kimbers

what tj said
    id considr the 20 quid a bonus

Jeffus
    Free Member

As above take the £20, 2nd hand stuff is always a risk..

Suggsey
    Free Member

As last comments, if you got a real bargain in your eyes in the first place what you actually got was a bike with some faults for what it was actually worth-take the twenty quid and send the hub etc off to Hope, they are an excellent firm and go way beyond expectation if its a manufacturing fault (they replaced the hub body and refurbed freewheel when a second hand Hope Hoop ‘exploded’.

Merak

Let it go man,………just let it go.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Cool, thanks 🙂

colnagokid

Take the £20
    I recently sold a used frame/fork on ebay – the guy complained and eventually raised a dispute, sent the frame back and got his refund….
    I appealed the desicion and won- keeping the f/f and the cash.

Not saying that you’re anythng like the lying cheating scumbag that I had to deal with, but you might end up losing out.

Moral of the story is- be careful buying 2nd hand gear unseen

Northwind

Personally I’d go after it, but then I’ve got a bit of a zero tolerance thing about these. Is it worth the hassle? Possibly not. Ebay won’t hand down or enforce a judgement for a partial refund but once you get to the point of a dispute it’ll become better for the seller to make a larger refund than it will to eat the costs of return postage etc. My own recent experience is that sellers won’t take you seriously without a complaint, unless they are also generally top blokes.

colnagokid

Seller dosn’t pay for cost of return postage Northwind- probably to stop people “buying” just to have a look to see if they actually want to keep the item.

Northwind

“colnagokid – Member

Seller dosn’t pay for cost of return postage Northwind- probably to stop people “buying” just to have a look to see if they actually want to keep the item.”

All the times I’ve won a dispute for “not as described” Ebay/Paypal refunded me full cost + return postage.

Jamie
    Free Member

Take the £20 and buy loads of lottery scratch cards and leave the rest to karma 8)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s a difficult one, because the seller may have been very aware of that particular issue, you’ll never know for sure. But, buying a 2nd hand bike on ebay unseen has it’s risks. The seller probably sold it in good faith as used and described it as such. As you say, I don’t think you can expect them to have stripped it down and checked (or had professionally checked) every moving part, then reassembled to sell. Put it down to experience. They’ve offered a small part towards the freehub replace cost, which is probably fair enough.
    I’ve always considered ebay (and STW ads) a bit of a gamble.

colnagokid

@Northwind Fair enough. but ebay pays for that, not the seller

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ebay item- dispute, or just forget it?’ is closed to new replies.