Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ebay help please
  • iainc

I sold an item the other day (mini HiFi £70) – the winning bidder was a new ebay member with no profile/rating. Item sold Wed, he has still not payed but has said he will do so today. he is now asking questions – 'does the cd palyer make a noise' ? what is the best thing to do here ? wait and see if/when he pays ? relist ? not had this situation before so unsure what is best action.

Thanks

andy7t2
    Free Member

i'd email him saying he needs to pay within the next 2/3 day or you will have to relist/second chance the item and leave negative feedback

falkirk-mark

Tell him of course it makes an effing noise its a cd player that is the whole point of it (to make a noise) 😈

iainc

LOL. It does make a noise sometimes – a clicking noise that is, which I have been quite open about, so think he is looking for a way out.. jeez, it's a 10+ yr old hifi that cost a grand and is selling for under £100 👿

BigJohn

Reply "Why are you asking me – it's your mini hi-fi now. You just bought it."

iainc

BigJohn – can I do that ? he is saying now

so theres a problem in it which is not there on the
    description

to which I have replied :

There is no problem, it is quite a few yrs old, it cost over £1000 when I bought it and it's now going for less than £100. It is not new and is not being sold as such. If you don't want it that is fine, I will relist it. I have 100% positive feedback….. please let me know by return.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Link to the auction?

He bid, so he should be paying. Shouldn't be offering him the chance to back out really- if he doesn't pay, file an unpaid item dispute and get your fees back.

Questions should be asked before bidding.

iainc

just realised I put this in the wrong forum, oops.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280500299079&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I also said this in answer to another question :

the cd player does make a bit of a clicking noise sometimes, but you only hear it if it's quiet and you are right beside it.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If the noise is a fault/niggle, it should have been mentioned in the description really. If it doesn't effect the use in anyway, then thats fine.

When he bids he enters a legal contract to pay- but if you think hes likely to receive item, and then file a "not as described" dispute, may be better to do a mutual withdrawl and re-list.

iainc

rockthreegozy – yeah, in hindsight I should have mentioned it in the original description, agreed, however as it has no impact on the operation it wasn't even in my mind when listing it. live nad learn I guess !

Jamie
    Free Member

Just for future reference, in you eBay preferences you can block certain people from bidding to avoid idiots. Currently my account is setup like this:

Don't have a PayPal account
    Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 1 Month(s).
    Have a primary delivery address in a country I don't post to
    Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

Annoyingly you cannot set it to 0 feedback, only negs.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Jamie, the flaw with that is you still get 0/low feedback idiots 😉

Also had a few issues with established sellers too..

iainc

just mailed him,

I have been asking around about this to see what is best thing to do. The clicking noise has no effect on the operation of the cd player, and as such it wasn't something I was thinking about when listing it. That said I did not put it on the description so can understand your concern. I am happy to cancel the deal, if so I will relist without entering negative feedback on the auction – It's your call ?

think I will stick to stw classifieds from now on !!..

Jamie
    Free Member

Can you do a second chance offer?

I try too, even if i sell it for less i usually make about the same as not paying eBays 10% FVF and ancillary costs.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Me too, I hate ebay now a days, back in the day… lol!

I just sold a Zippo lighter and on the listing I always specify a 2 business day dispatch time. The guy emailed me complaining that he hadn't got it and I pointed out I had specified a 2 business day dispatch time due to difficulties getting to a post office that is open. Anyway I did however offer to refund him half the postage as it was actually day 3 by the time I got to the post office. Needless to say he never responded and has yet to leave any feedback!

speaker2animals

It's just people. I think you'll find that if you sold enough on STW or any alternative you would probably come across someone who is a bit of a drongo. Unless you are very lucky. Due to unemployment and lots of debt i have had to sell quite a bit on eBay in the last month. I would say that I've had about 4%.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If he doesn't pay you must file an unpaid claim against him otherwise you will still get stuck with the eBay selling charges.

Personally I'd have emailed him back saying ask questions first, not after buying it. Sounds like he/she might back out but just explain you will have to put a dispute in against him/her for recovery of fees.

iain1775
    Free Member

I thought sellers couldnt give buyers negative feedback anymore?
    Didnt this change about 4-6 months ago?

Leaving you with no effective way of alerting other people about non payers

Another reason to add to the long list (feedback issues, high fees, compulsory paypal, lots of idiots and freeloaders on there now etc) as to why I now completely avoid selling stuff on ebay

iainc

iain1775 – I think you are right 😥

all pretty crap really – assuming he backs out I'll probs stick it back the classified's here next week !

Bazz

Grrr… don't get me started on e bay, sold an old Altura cycling jacket about a month ago, i stated in the description that it was both stained and faded and needed re-proofing, i only put it up because i hate throwing usable things out and i got a new one on cycle to work, anyway it sold for £4 (it was a £50 jacket 3 years ago) got a stroppy message on monday from the buyer saying he wasn't happy, took the idiot over a month to send it as well 😈

Tonylem
    Free Member

Bidding history looks very strange to me.

Edit, Doh, just realised thats the way Ebay displays bidding history now.

iain1775
    Free Member

what with ebay fees alot of the time just giving stuff away on freecycle works out cheaper 😉

iainc

Tony – I thought that as well – one bidder seemed to be bidding against herself – I was wondering whether I just wasn't seeing all the bids. Having not sold that much on ebay it's all a bbit of a black art to me still..

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like the buyer has a decent case, tbh, although I'm sure you weren't trying to con anyone.

You better back out gracefully, there's an option to say both parties agree not to proceed – so you won't pay.

iainc

chapaking – you're right in that in hindsight I should have mentioned it, hence my mail to the guy about cancelling the deal, as I can see his point too (although not too pleased with his late/non paymet/sporadic contact etc. Can you tell me how to find out more about mutually backing out the deal and avoiding fees ? – EDIT – just found out how to do it, ta

Thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

Ebay is a bit of a maze, I only know I did this for a nice-but-elderly buyer who got a bit confused and only bid on one of a pair of items I was selling.

Go into the options for cancelling the deal and you should find it, I think the buyer then gets sent an email and has to agree.

iainc

thanks chapaking – my edit coincided with your post 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ebay help please’ is closed to new replies.