Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ebay Hearing Aids
  • andykirk
    Free Member

My dad is going slightly deaf…. once you have his attention you can hold a conversation with him but getting his attention is not always easy.

We are waiting for what seems like forever for an appointment with the NHS for a hearing test than hearing aid issue.

I have considered going private but the cost of hearing aids seems a heck of a lot. Cue Ebay search…. does anyone have any experience of these things? I would like to get him one to use over Christmas, budget 50 quid max.

Thanks.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If he’s over 50 yrs old go direct to boots or spec savers and you can have nhs hearing test and hearing aides from them – within the week

Do not put anything in his ear from eBay !!!
    You could cause damage to his hearing

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/hearing-aids/nhs-hearing-aids

Just some friendly advice from a hearing aid wearer !

tjagain

Hearing loss come in many forms and needs aids adjusted to suit.

Don’t do it – you could put him off wearing one when it doesn’t work for him

antimony
    Free Member

The problem sounds like it’s the GP who is stalling. Under the AQP (any qualified provider) contract, the provider has 8 weeks from referal to fitting. The provider could be your local NHS trust or another provider such as Specsavers (Boots have recently opted out of NHS provision). Ask your GP when the referral was made and to which service provider.

andykirk
    Free Member

Well…. thanks gents….. I knew Specsavers was too good to be true – I’m in Scotland and it appears this service is not available.

Looks like we will just a have to wait it out until the NHS have time for us.

Terrible carry on that NHS, can’t get a doctor’s appointment either for 3 weeks. When I was a lad it was a couple of days.

Thanks anyway.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

What about these guys

Your hearing

antimony
    Free Member

They will be fine but pricey – any good aid is going to be pricey, very much new bike kinda price. You can buy a cheap aid from the back of the papers in the same way you can buy a BSO from sports direct – what’s the minimum you would spend on a new full sus bike? Thats probably the minimum price to spend on an aid.
    Please don’t buy second hand, as well as being completely gross, there is infection risks and the wrong prescription can cause further hearing damage.

Tri-X
    Free Member

There are specifically designed iPhone apps that will tailor the audio compression and gain across frequency.

e.g. [/url]

globalti
    Free Member

Once he’s had the Specsavers (or hospital) test they will keep a record of his hearing profile and adjust any hearing aids to suit him.

Watch out if he goes to a care home for a respite day – my late MIL had three sets of aids stolen by agency carers. Somebody told us they send them to their relatives overseas to sell for a lot of money.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Watch out if he goes to a care home for a respite day – my late MIL had three sets of aids stolen by agency carers. Somebody told us they send them to their relatives overseas to sell for a lot of money.

Sweeping statement of course British agency workers never steal a thing…no no not us only those johnny foreigners bloody savages !

hope your father gets an appointment soon

tjagain

hearing aids get lost all the time in care settings.

aracer
    Free Member

My mum is quite capable of losing her hearing aids all on her own without any outside assistance. Of course it doesn’t help that she tends not to want to wear them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ebay Hearing Aids’ is closed to new replies.