• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by los.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ebay frame purchase – am I about to get ripped off (again)?
  • los
    Free Member

Just thought I’d canvas opinion here before doing something foolish. A few days ago I spotted a new Dialled Love Hate frame on Ebay with a starting bid of £150. I put a bid on for that amount so it’d be easier to keep track of the auction and also presuming others would bid above that. But no-one bid so it looks like I’ve won the frame for £150.

Seems a bargain but now checking their feedback (yep, I know I should have done this before) they only have a history of 6 transactions over 3 years, all as a seller. The blurb and pic on the auction was taken directly from the Dialled site. Now I know I ought to think the best of people unless proven otherwise, but I have been proved otherwise, when a ‘sale’ on here proved to be fraudulent (I didn’t check his history, it was his second post and I paid by Paypal gift so I lost £170).
    I have emailed the seller for a pic of the actual frame, its serial number and their address but no reply yet.

Any thoughts on how to progress?

Cheers

Los

PS original ad here

drofluf
    Free Member

Don’t Paypal gift!!!

Can you collect in person?

soma_rich
    Free Member

What worries me about his auctions is that they are all stock photos and not of the actual items….

neninja
    Free Member

He has recent +ve seller feedback for a seatpost.

Just pay through Paypal at the checkout, that way you are protected if nothing arrives.

Just looks like an infrequent Ebay user who is too lazy to take some pictures.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Don’t pay until your sure its legit.

los
    Free Member

Nope definitely not going down the PPG option again!
    Yeah just realised I have a wedding in the same county (not sure of the distance from Lympne to Maidstone) so that’d be one way to find out

verses
    Stuey01
    Free Member

It’s Ebay, you’re protected and the ebay dispute resolution is heavily weighted in favour of the buyer. Pay by paypal, not gift or bank transfer. You’ll be fine.

los
    Free Member

Thanks for the directions Verses!

uplink
    Free Member

Be careful that you only pay via the ‘Pay now’ link on eBay, don’t pay via any email request/invoice

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I live in Maidstone. If you want I’ll collect it for you (I’m known on here and very involved with Bedgebury Forest Bike Club – 100’s in that who will vouch for me!)

If interested, drop me a line and we can sort out the detail.

Boris

los
    Free Member

Thanks Boris, really appreciate that. Can I get back to you once I’ve heard back from the seller (presuming I do)?

madden96
    Free Member

Just make sure you dont send as a gift mate 🙂

Pickup in person would be best.

And i replied on my Forks Post Mate, if your still interested.

bland

He appears to be a peticoat wearing sticker fan who uses a blackberry if that helps you track him down?

clubber
    Free Member

Just say that you’re going to be local to the seller soon so you’d like to collect – if he’s legit, it’s unlikely that’ll be an issue.

Then just say your trip got cancelled so you’ll have to take the post option. Simples.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I live in Maidstone, I’ll go and collect it for you and then you can send me the money and I’ll post it up to you.

los
    Free Member

CLubber – good plan, could be the way to go
    madden96 – thanks but picked of F120s in the end
    bland – will that distinguish him from other Maidstone residents (Boris excepted)?

los
    Free Member

ianpinder, many thanks – boris has also offered, may take you up on that though
    Update – heard back from the guy who’s given me a frame serial number. Will run it by Dialled but beginning to think I’ve done this guy a disservice 😳

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ebay frame purchase – am I about to get ripped off (again)?’ is closed to new replies.