Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • eBay fees??!??!?
  • alexonabike

Are they having a laugh?!

I have just listed my bike and they charge £11.50 for the listing fee, plus they'll charge 10% 'shafting' fee if the bike sells!

Which equates to costing me (hopefully?) in the region of £50-60 to sell my bike! Plus, if the buyer pays PayPal, I'll get stung again!

Think this will be my last dealing with evilBay.

druidh
    Free Member

Fine. Sell it somewhere else and see if you get as big a market / high a price.

djglover
    Free Member

I listed my bike here for £290, and someone wanted me to throw in postage. About 10% of the total cost I think. I got £410 collected on ebay for it, so I'm pretty happy with it. Cost me a few quid to list if that though, not 11!

stumpyjon

druidh – true, but I do think Ebay is shafting the individual user in terms of fees and policies over the business sellers. Methinks the time is ripe for an alternate auction site to get it's act together and fill the void that Ebay has now vacated. If anyone knows of such a site please let me know 😉

geoffj

Start the auction at 99p and you don't pay listing fees.

allthepies
    Free Member

It's a monopoly and they're milking it for all it's worth.

djglover
    Free Member

Ah yeah, I did start at 99p.

mamadirt
    Free Member

£11.50 listing fee!!!!? How on earth many pictures did you upload? I generally pay in the region of £1.50-£2.00 listing (including any buy it now price and photos) and always start the listing at the lowest price I'd be prepared to accept with no reserve. Agree about the final value fees and Paypal's cut though but I was pleasantly surprised when I sold my Tazer last month – I'd budgeted for around £75 fees all in and ended up paying around £60 to ebay and Paypal.

alexonabike

0.99 start price, 3 piccies, the killer was the reserve.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Reserves only put people off, if people don't know what the reserve is they dont seem to bid. I used to do all the customer sales, ex demo's and any other random bike sales at SJS and they always sold very very well with no reserve and a decent listing. I do think that the recent increase in final fees from 5.25% of the first 30 3.75 of the next 70 and 3.25 of the rest (iirc) to 10% of the final price is a serious sexual assault!!!

djglover
    Free Member

No reserve, start at 99p and you get a lot of interest and a lot of last minute frantic bidding. Let the market decided the price…

geoffj

what the DJ says!

nickjb
    Free Member

i'll second that. stuff rarely goes for much less than it is worth unless you have a bad ad (no pics, dodgy description, sound like an arse, etc).

nickjb
    Free Member

… and its 10% of the final price up to a max of £40 iirc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘eBay fees??!??!?’ is closed to new replies.