Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ebay – feedback as a seller
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

New to selling stuff on ebay, what sort of feedback do you leave and when do you leave it – as soon the buyer pays? Reason for asking is I sold 3 items recently, one paid straight away so got glowing feedback, the other 2 I’ve had to chase up. One has just paid (the mighty sum of £3.40) after 48hrs. What feedback can I leave him?
    “Thanks for paying – eventually”? Does everyone automatically get great feedback to avoid them giving you a poor rating?
    Coming to the realisation why I avoided selling on ebay…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Just shrug, give the feedback and move on.

aracer
    Free Member

Pointless leaving feedback like that, sellers don’t get to look at their buyers feedback, the only difference it makes is to sellers, and by leaving even slightly negative comments like that you run the risk of a buyer retaliating. I just don’t bother to give feedback for most of my ebay transactions.

Stevet1
    Free Member

just don’t bother to give feedback for most of my ebay transactions

Isn’t that the same as giving negative feedback?
    What’s an acceptable neutral feedback?
    “Thanks, hope to do business again”?

Gary_M
    Free Member

“Thanks for paying – eventually”?

Because the buyer took 48 hours to pay? People have other things going on in their lives, not everyone has constant access to the internet.

But as above I very seldom give buyers feedback now.

jam-bo

I haven’t left or looked at feedback for years.

nickhit3
    Free Member

yeah… agree with GaryM

don’t waste your time giving catty remarks in eBay feedback. If they pay up in under 7 days, its a win. Try stipulating your terms in the buyer information if you’re new or a nervous ebay seller. “paypal only, postage only upon payment within 48hrs of purchace” something like that. Just leave a nice generic reply and get on with it “thanks for the purchase- smooth transaction, thanks !” etc. Be nice and do give feedback. It takes seconds and I always find it shitty when someone doesn’t. If they refuse to pay/timewaste = negative feedback, and report buyer. everything else, neutral or positive. a 48hrs wait is acceptable tbh.

DezB
    Free Member

People have other things going on in their lives, not everyone has constant access to the internet

Pretty sure if you’ve just gone on eBay and bought something you can pay within the next 2 mins however busy a life you live! I bet most of them use the phone their face is glued to 24 hrs a day anyway.

But yeah – this don’t waste your time giving catty remarks in eBay feedback 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

Interesting remarks about the payment. I must admit I’m with DezB, If they’ve just won the auction then surely they can pay up. Within 24hrs isn’t unreasonable if they’ve bid on something?
    Anyhow, will leave some non-committal feedback and see when the next guy is going to pay.

nickhit3
    Free Member

I must admit I’m with DezB, If they’ve just won the auction then surely they can pay up. Within 24hrs isn’t unreasonable if they’ve bid on something?

Why is there an assumption that they are sat there waiting for the auction to end? I’ve won countless auctions and not been there the minute it ends- and latterly sometimes days later paid. Ebay is different now to the old days and ppl have a million reasons they may not be there the minute an auction ends. If this is a buy it now transaction then this is a different issue, to which immediate payment could be reasonably expected.. You’re going to have a rough ride on ebay if you get this annoyed about it so soon, dont sweat it and lay out some purchase terms. Been using ebay since 2001 btw, never had a shitty remark from a seller after waiting 2/3 days to pay. If someone did, id never look at them again. life is too short for that kind of bs frankly.

ivorlott
    Free Member

Pretty sure if you’ve just gone on eBay and bought something you can pay within the next 2 mins however busy a life you live!

I always snipe, so pretty much absent when auctions close.
    Payment within 3 days is acceptable from my POV.

Stevet1
    Free Member

You’re going to have a rough ride on ebay if you get this annoyed about it so soon, dont sweat it and lay out some purchase terms

Fair enough, all points taken on board.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Pretty sure if you’ve just gone on eBay and bought something you can pay within the next 2 mins however busy a life you live!

People use automatic bidding, they don’t sit in front of their device constantly typing in a higher value.

I always pay straight away when I buy something but someone not paying within 48 hours really isn’t a big deal.

kerley
    Free Member

I have sold a lot of stuff on eBay and typically if someone doesn’t pay within a few days they usually won’t pay. I open a case the minute I can (after 48 hours) so I can then get my fees back 5 days later and relist the item.

If you are that busy then don’t bid of items. You seriously can’t press a pay button which takes all of 10 seconds?

Due to timewasters who don’t pay/don’t see any rush I tend to list 95% of my items as Buy it Now with immediate payment ticked which completely removes the problem.

nickhit3
    Free Member

glad to help. look at it this way, if a shop assistant made an unsolicited remark about how i was paying for whatever reason then.. they’d get an earful and I’d not shop there again. Its nice to be nice!

DezB
    Free Member

I bet most of them use the phone their face is glued to 24 hrs a day anyway.

I notice nobody has quoted this part 😕

nickhit3
    Free Member

I bet most of them use the phone their face is glued to 24 hrs a day anyway.

there you go.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I notice nobody has quoted this part

No because it was just a pointless comment 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

As for feedback on buyers, it may as well be removed as only positive feedback can be left.

Sold an item a few weeks back and looked at the 100% feedback of the buyer and from the 21 feedback she had received 5 of them mentioned that she didn’t pay.
    She also didn’t pay me so I wasted 7 days before I could relist.

DezB
    Free Member

No because it was just a pointless comment

Ha! See above yours! 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

A comment pointing out a pointless comment can’t possibly be a pointless comment as it has a point. The point being the pointless comment it pointed out 🙂

nickhit3
    Free Member

A comment pointing out a pointless comment can’t possibly be a pointless comment as it has a point. The point being the pointless comment it pointed out

get to the point will you

nickhit3
    Free Member

As for feedback on buyers, it may as well be removed as only positive feedback can be left.

😯

really? that’s news to me regarding ‘only positive feedback can be left’

How is that possible then?

zzjabzz
    Free Member

A point in every direction is the same as no point at all…

DezB
    Free Member

‘only positive feedback can be left’

If that’s true, then aracer’s not bothering with feedback is the way to go, as it’s rendered rather ahem, pointless. Like my posts.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As a seller you only have the following feedback options –

Positive
    Report this buyer
    I’ll leave feedback later

So a bit pointless really 🙂

nickhit3
    Free Member

I cant see how that is possible. Ive never bought an item and not been given an option or choice to leave negative feedback..

EDIT : sorry, was looking from buyers POV there! doh! as you were

Gary_M
    Free Member

So you did 🙂 \/\/\/\/\/

nickhit3
    Free Member

yeah, edited my reply there ^

aracer
    Free Member

It’s apathy rather than a deliberate decision. It also mainly applies to feedback as a buyer (where I could leave negative) – I’m not sure why I should praise somebody doing what I expect them to when something arrives on time and works. I suppose I’m a bit of hypocrite as I tend to leave feedback as a seller in order to encourage them to give return feedback – given I don’t sell much, every feedback as a seller is valuable. Though I do more often leave feedback on auctions and/or private sellers.

I wonder how many items I could have left feedback on in the time I’ve spent on this thread…

kayla1
    Free Member

Just shrug, give the feedback and move on.

This. I tend to leave feedback in batches when I remember to, which is usually every three to four days, whether the buyer has left me feedback or not. I occasionally get a “LEAVE mE FEeDBAKC!!11!!” message from sellers, which I ignore, and leave feedback when I feel like it. I rarely leave a neutral or negative, only if the seller has really **** me off. There are bigger and more important things to get shouty about.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Okay so the last item still hasn’t been paid for despite me contacting them and asking for payment (how very dare I!). Give them the full 7 days then raise an item not paid for dispute?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

But as above I very seldom give buyers feedback now.

Which is annoying when selling.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Glad to see the thread’s still going after I gave the obvious correct answer in the first reply 🙂

Item not paid for, shrug, click whatever the appropriate button is on the eBay site and re-sell it.

Remember, eBay does a fabulous amazing service in connecting buyers and sellers all over the country who would have had absolutely no practical means of finding each other previously (i.e. before the growth of the internet). Who remembers the small ads in local papers? So it doesn’t work perfectly every time. Some people are dicks and some of them are just hopeless even if they aren’t trying to be dicks. Shrug. Have another go, or don’t bother if you don’t think it’s worth your time.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m not sure why I should praise somebody doing what I expect them to when something arrives on time and works

Well, cos that’s what you do on Ebay, to root out the good from the con artists.
    ( DezB : 1011 positives 😉 )

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m not sure why I should praise somebody doing what I expect them to when something arrives on time and works

😆

You must have a very high opinion of your fellow human being. I suppose this means I’m just a pessimist that believes in rewarding people that do a decent job.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Okay so the last item still hasn’t been paid for despite me contacting them and asking for payment (how very dare I!). Give them the full 7 days then raise an item not paid for dispute?

Just to update this ongoing saga of my introduction to selling on ebay – I raised a “seller not paid dispute”, but its all good now because the buyer has messaged me saying
    “I’ve ben on holiday and my sun bought it”
    But later added
    “I’ve had a bug fine for my car so can’t pay”
    It’s £6.50, those Bug fines must really wipe a person out.
    Also now I’m wondering what bug related incident he was fined for, having too many bugs on his windscreen? or maybe someone saw him run over a helpless bug and not stop.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – feedback as a seller’ is closed to new replies.