• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mc.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ebay fee 12% WTF?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, last time I checked the fees appeared to be around 6%, making 10% total with paypal, my latest invoice shows it’s 12% (on one BIN).

WTF?

Andy

Yup and then add another 4-5% for paypal fees 🙁

irc

A company with a near monopoly in it’s market puts prices up? Who’d have thought it?

richmtb

Was 10% last time I sold anything. I thought that was a bit of a pisstake to be honest. Still you do tend to get a few quid more selling stuff on there and its generally less hassle than a lot of other “classifieds” ahem.

It does seem like they are taking advantage of their dominated position though

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Still shows 10% on the fees on their site

scandalous
    Free Member

put your mobile number on each advert.

people who are really interested in what you are selling (rather than tyre kickers) are more likely to contact you and deal outside of ebay. This will also allow you a chance to assess whether they are likely to be schisters as well.

use ebay as an advertising tool – its too expensive to sell high priced items on it nowadays

bearnecessities

Did you also put a best offer option on there? I think that adds to their cut.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

remember a comment on a previous ebay discussion “if your auction ends youre doing it wrong”.

Have sold a £500 frame and a £600 bike “off” ebay, in both cases met the buyer so they could inspect and walk away, they saved shipping fees, I saved a fortune in PP/Ebay fees. Abuse of their T+Cs? Maybe. Bothered? Nope.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Did you also put a best offer option on there? I think that adds to their cut.

I did. the final value fee was 10%, I’m not sure if that added to it (it wasn’t in fact used). Then there’s 10% on postage (high, posted to Greece) and insertion fees (the ones that are often free on promotions).

I was too shocked/depressed to inspect the fee structure, I may have a look later.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

As above, put your mobile number on the ad. I’ve not had any luck selling my full susser on here so put it up on eBay at slightly more than I want. Have had a couple of folk ring direct to see and possibly buy outside of eBay. If it goes via the auction, the added few quid will all but cover any fees.

Jamie
    Free Member

To see how much you’re going to get stung next time:

http://ecal.altervista.org/en/fee_calculator/ebay.co.uk/

SD-253
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member
    remember a comment on a previous ebay discussion “if your auction ends youre doing it wrong”.

Have sold a £500 frame and a £600 bike “off” ebay, in both cases met the buyer so they could inspect and walk away, they saved shipping fees, I saved a fortune in PP/Ebay fees. Abuse of their T+Cs? Maybe. Bothered? Nope
    Can’t argue with you if your a seller but as generally no downside if buyer. Also no chance of selling of Ebay for some items, clothing for example. Collection only generally gets you a lower price although not always (someone selling hay near me therefore collection only no option) I think Mobile phone in the advert would appear to be a good idea. The only problem is your back to collection as I can’t see how you can buy without worrying about getting the goods via postage and no Ebay/PayPal protection. Anyone know how??

hora
    Free Member

Im surr its more than 10% on ebay alone. Normal 7day auction. Item sells for £55. Ebay fee 6.66 – NOT factoring in PP cost either. They email me daily ‘polite collections-money owed’. I paid. A week later I tried listing something else- ebay lets me fill everything out then stops me. They want to link a card to my ebay.

**** off ebay.

MS
    Free Member

I love how they get 10% of the P+P fee..! Just means I don’t put the exact cost of P+P on my listing and over estimate.

Don’t mind ebay to shift stuff lying around as it has a huge audience. But wouldn’t like to use it for anything of significant value or to sell for business purposes!

bearnecessities

They never used to charges fees on postage?

MS
    Free Member

According to their fee page its the final value they take the 10% off which includes the postage

Jamie
    Free Member
    mc
    Free Member

Ebay are robbing b******s.

They take 10% of the final total cost including postage, then they also get the paypal fees (ebay owns paypal for those not aware).

The paypal fees themself are actually pretty reasonable compared with other similar providers, but the 10% fees are blatant abuse of their market dominance.

As a buisness seller, I could get a fee discount, however it involves that many hoops, it’s just not worth it. Especially since my annual sales would only qualify for the 5% discount band.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ebay fee 12% WTF?’ is closed to new replies.