Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • eBay etiquette?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I rarely use ebay but I made an offer on a motorbike that had a buy it now and make offer option.

I made the offer last night at about 6pm. I checked my email this morning and the offer was accepted at about 6am. I planned to email seller mid-morning once I’d worked out days I could collect it when at about 11am I got a message from the seller that just said ‘you’re not a time waster are you?’.

Now, I don’t know if I am being a bit sensitive but I just don’t think that is a particularly appropriate way to communicate with someone who is going to be carrying out a fairly substantial transaction with. The fact he didn’t give me more than a few hours to get in contact with him is bad enough but not even a polite message.

I was tempted to reply and tell him to forget it but I’d be the one penalised for not completing the sale. Is that the ‘ebay way’ now? Is the ‘time waster’ thing so common place that sellers are completely jaded with it and just assume every potential buyer is the same?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

It is more and more common since eBay tilted the balance hugely towards the buyer.

I have sold things and had them returned for the following reasons:

– Pair of shoes. Both not the same colour according to the buyer. Complete waste of time and money for something that sold for less than a fiver.
    – Jacket. Buyer tried to negotiate a discount because it didn’t fit the way they thought it should. Ridiculous.

It is not unusual for buyers to threaten negative feedback if you don’t dance to their tune. I can understand the seller’s attitude, but that is a bit unprofessional. People like Torchy and other folk selling bike stuff have been pretty good to deal with.

As a seller I don’t even bother with no reserve auctions anymore. I just stick in a price I’d be happy to get and start it there. State comprehensively if I’ll accept returns or not and let it run its course.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Fleabay.

It’s dealing with dodgy buyers and sellers. True there are some honest folk on there.

Otherwise a place for chavs.

Good luck.

weeksy

People are just fed up with idiots. If its the right bike and right price, buy it.

nealglover
    Free Member

He’s probably been messed around with people bidding and not buying before so he’s a bit defensive.

Just tell him you are not a timewaster, and carry on as normal.

CountZero

The fact he didn’t give me more than a few hours to get in contact with him is bad enough but not even a polite message.

It would have been polite to have dropped him a very quick message telling him you needed some time to work out when you would be able to pick it up, and you’d be back in touch in an hour or two. Two minutes out of your day to send an email isn’t that big a chore, surely?

footflaps

People are really sensitive about response time selling on Ebay and on STW, you have to be really sharp on comms to keep everyone happy.

darkcyan
    Free Member

I do a lot on e-bay mainly as a seller.

To get on your case so quickly is totally out of order.

Ok if you haven’t paid within a couple of days that’s another matter.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘eBay etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.