Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • EBAY dispute; advice pls
  • theotherjonv

never had to do a dispute before so not sure of the do’s and don’ts.

In short, i bought a pair of WK gloves advertised as AGE: ADULT.
    Received today, there’s a label clearly inside marked YOUTH. As a result they don’t fit.

I messaged the seller and he said ‘Advert states no returns / refunds’

So I opened a dispute for goods not as described.

He came back and basically said ‘why did i open a dispute, we could discuss and resolve outside of ebay’, suggesting his ‘no refunds’ line was just an opening offer and he was prepared to listen all along. I told him to refund the paypal, and once I had it then I’d return the gloves. He says he won’t refund the paypal until the dispute is closed as being satisfactorily resolved.

If i close the dispute, is that it done, or if he then reneges can i open a fresh one? For sure, I’m not sending the gloves back until i have the money back, it’s not an insignificant sum. But put bluntly after his initial misadvertising, his first responses, etc., i don’t actually trust him now, so while I would still have the goods, they aren’t a lot of use to me and i just want the money, which if i escalate the dispute through ebay if i understand right they’ll just refund to me directly?

wwaswas

don’t close the dispute, do everything through ebay.

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t close the dispute until you have been refunded. He had his chance, and he blew it.

If you close it, you won’t be able to open a new one. So just let the process take it’s course. The only downside is you will be liable to send the goods back to him.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t close the dispute then he can tell you to **** off no worries.

Just ignore his emails or messages. eBay will find in your favour and issue you the refund. You post back through a tracked service. Upload the tracking number to their site and when it says delivered, you get your money back.

I had one with a guy selling an ‘unlocked’ mobile phone that was locked. He was ranting and raving and being quite inconsistent in his arguments and ability to speak English.
    Regardless, I got my money back.

iolo
    Free Member

Remember to leave negative feedback.

geoffj

Just ignore his emails or messages. eBay will find in your favour and issue you the refund. You post back through a tracked service. Upload the tracking number to their site and when it says delivered, you get your money back.

Do they refund the cost of return postage too?

Daffy

As above, don’t close the dispute, keep responding through it to keep it live.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do they refund the cost of return postage too?

The only downside is you will be liable to send the goods back to him.

…you do get original postage costs refunded.

Also, OP, you did file the case as a SNAD, right?

theotherjonv

‘Item not as described’

Have responded to him telling to refund before i close the case.

Jamie
    Free Member

Have responded to him telling to refund before i close the case.

I wouldn’t bother closing the case until eBay marks it as resolved….as in let eBay do everything.

DezB
    Free Member

He’s got frustrated because once a dispute is opened it can’t be closed for 8 days. Bloody annoying for a seller. If you want to annoy him, just leave it for eBay to sort.

davidrussell
    Free Member

i’d second that about keeping the dispute open. I get really peeved with folk who do things like this via ebay and then when you open a dispute they get all offended as if it was never their intention. I had a similar issue with a user sending a set of pedals. Basically they were not marked as dispatched and 10 days later they hadn’t turned up, so i opened a dispute saying they hadn’t arrived. then i got a huffy email saying i should just have contacted them as they were “just about to be posted”, to which i replied that perhaps had they sent them within a reasonable time frame and marked them as despatched i would have had no need to raise a dispute 🙂

in your case thats significantly not as described so see the dispute through.

njee20
    Free Member

Basically they were not marked as dispatched and 10 days later they hadn’t turned up, so i opened a dispute saying they hadn’t arrived

I’d send a friendly message before going in with the dispute I must say…

davidrussell
    Free Member

to be fair njee i thought i was sending them a message as Ebay directed me through those channels. I take your point though.

iolo
    Free Member

Bloody annoying for a seller. If you want to annoy him, just leave it for eBay to sort.

Even more annoying for a buyer if you don’t getwant what you’ve asked for.

markymark1993
    Free Member

As a part time eBay seller and buyer myself, I would of said only open a dispute if its absolutely necessary as its often easier for both buyers and sellers to come to agreement via messaging. As your the buyer I believe you would need to send the item back before getting your refund. I would say tho when returning an Item send it tracked as some naughty sellers can say that they never received it, Although sending tracked will cost you more, you will have proof incase for eBay incase they try to do the dirty. Hope this helped!

njee20
    Free Member

As a part time eBay seller and buyer myself,

What does that mean? Surely that describes virtually everyone!

I would of said only open a dispute if its absolutely necessary as its often easier for both buyers and sellers to come to agreement via messaging.

OP didn’t get what he ordered, sent a message, told “tough”, opened dispute. Seems an entirely reasonable sequence of events! That the seller then continues being a dick is hardly a surprise.

As everyone has said – just conduct the whole thing through eBay, job done.

markymark1993
    Free Member

I miss read apologies did not realise the seller replied as I just quickly scrolled. Yup I agree as the seller is unwilling to assist you let eBay sort it. But please remember to return your item as tracked when your case gets approved as this seller sounds dodgy and the type to say he simply didn’t receive it.

markymark1993
    Free Member

It simply means I have had experience with problems like this, was a pretty simple hint Tbh. Well virtually everyone? Not everyone sells on ebay especially these days due to commission rates. So me saying as a part time seller and buyer simply says that I am saying from both a sellers and buyers point of view, Simples.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

As a part time eBay seller and buyer myself, I would of said only open a dispute if its absolutely necessary as its often easier for both buyers and sellers to come to agreement via messaging. As your the buyer I believe you would need to send the item back before getting your refund. I would say tho when returning an Item send it tracked as some naughty sellers can say that they never received it, Although sending tracked will cost you more, you will have proof incase for eBay incase they try to do the dirty. Hope this helped!

POSTED 29 MINUTES AGO # REPO

The buyer (OP) had contacted the seller and received the bum’s rush. So he did the only sensible thing,open a dispute. This way, all correspondence ca be seen by Ebay.
    OP, don’t close the dispute, even when payed back. Leave that to Ebay. Do reply to any correspondence from Ebay or the seller, but sick to your guns.
    Oh, and do leave negative feedback AFTER it’s allbeen wrapped up. You will probably lose the return postage costs- not cheap as they must be signed for- so you have every right to be unchuffed.
    If there is a next time though, open a paypal dispute,not ebay, as it’s quicker and easier. Paypal can freeze his account, which tends to focus the mind! Ebay can’t.

markymark1993
    Free Member

I wouldn’t know about the PayPal dispute but I know that ebay cases can take a while, Ive had them last as long as two weeks on high valued items, but yeah thats what I said after making a mistake of not reading the bit about the seller not willing to assist the buyer. Which I did apologise for and again agree with your reply.

singletrackmind

Me too .
    Won an auction for what I thouhgt was a pair of Spec Turbo Pro road tyres. Seller sent me 1 . Advert used the word ‘Tyres’ twice, once in the headline and once in the description.
    I paid £23 , which is more than Specialized deal price of £20 as they are having a tyre amnesty just now. RRP is £34.99
    Seller wont respond to any emails , have opened a dispute and sent 3 emails.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘EBAY dispute; advice pls’ is closed to new replies.