Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ebay dilemma…
  • JackHardcore
    Free Member

Bit of a rant, just sold a set of as new bonty tubeless wheels with new tubeless ready nobby nics all setup ready to go on Ebay.

5 mins till auction ends and get loads of questions from one guy asking about tubeless, tubeless strips, if tubeless is reliable etc anyway repliced to what I could but as I was in work had to go away from the PC to help someone. Came back 10 mins later and this guy’s won (for all of £92), paid but sent another two messages one before listing ended and one after:

Any problems at all ?
    Don’t want any hassle with these wheels as they will be my first tubeless rims 🙂

Ok, I have bought these on trust and will leave feedback after riding on them 🙂
    Thanks

That’s unrealistic right? So I’ve replied:

Hang on now mate, perhaps it would have been advisable to do your research and ask your questions before the last few minutes of the auction.

No offence but I don’t know who you are, your riding style, your skill level etc. I’m not prepared to wait till you have potentially hammered the hell out of the wheels to come back to me and let me know you’re happy with them or not (and if not then risk bad feedback). You can still get punctures with tubeless, it’s not a miracle cure just much less likely. You need to renew the sealant periodically and carry a tube with you as you really need a track pump to re-inflate if you need to patch the tyre etc.

You’ve bought a set of tubeless wheels in excellent condition and a set of tubeless tyres that are all but brand new and that is it. You’ve not bought some guarantee that the tubeless system is right for you and is without any fault whatsoever, I’m afraid that’s an unrealistic ask and one I’m simply not prepared to make.

I value my perfect feedback greatly, I wouldn’t sell something that’s not fit for purpose but I’m afraid I cant make guarantees on a technology.

If this is not acceptable then I’ll cancel the transaction, issue you a refund, no hard feelings and I’ll sell them to the next highest bidder.

Please let me know ASAP.

Regards

That’s fair enough of me is it not? Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks!

Cougar

Sounds reasonable apart from tone really, it comes across a bit confrontational to me. “Hang on now mate” sounds like the sort of thing overheard at closing time when a glassing is on the cards.

restless
    Free Member

I agree that you need to set out your boundariesm but also agre with previous poster that your wording could be seen as slighlty confrontational.

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Perhaps…. hmm. I was a little taken a back by the cheek of the “ill ride them first and decide if I’ll leave you positive feedback after that” though to be honest.

It’s a set of wheels and tyres, inspect them, check everything is smooth, true and as described but it’s not a bloody “try before you buy” ….

Cougar

Agreed, but you’re overlooking the fact that people are idiots.

yunki
    Free Member

I’d refuse to sell to him… the bloke sounds like a wally.. I thought your response was very reasonable indeed considering..
    I would have done a lot more swearing and threatening and general abuse hurling personally

chris_db
    Free Member

People regularly try to get “partial refunds” or hold the seller to “feedback extortion” – it’s happened to me as a regular ebay seller.

When it occurs I immediately offer a full refund, record it as extortion with Ebay and demand my item is returned.

It’s the only way.

Do not send the wheels if you feel you are being extorted. Re-list them; there’s every chance you will get more for them second time round and Ebay will refund your fee.

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah to be honest I’m actually not that keen on sending them to this guy anymore, I think I’ll cancel it, refund and re-list.

Cheers

Cougar

Bear in mind,

Buying and selling are equally nervy. It could be innocent. Maybe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When I sold my Van it went in under 2 mins on BIN. Cue hurried e-mail explaining that he had bought it not just booked a viewing, on that occasion he was just happy to buy unseen. Always worth being forward and to the point.

Woody
    Free Member

I’d refuse to sell to him… the bloke sounds like a wally

My thought too and you may save yourself a load of grief as the buyer always has the upper hand once they have the goods.
    Had someone try it on too with a recent item I sold, with rubbish claims about condition and he was straight in with ‘I want x amount discount or full refund + postage cost’. I told him (politely) to go fornicate with himself and surprise surprise I got good feedback and heard nothing more.

Some people just try it on but I’ve a feeling your buyer is simply naive, especially as he still bid while awaiting replies to late questions!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ebay dilemma…’ is closed to new replies.