Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • eBay, contracts, pricing etc
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Where do I stand?*

An expensive bit of MTB frippery advertised on eBay by a Bricks & Mortar UK LBS.

Object listed at same price as CRC, showing 5 available.

I “Buy It Now” and pay with paypal immediately, using the 20% special offer discount on Monday.

I get an email at the end of yesterday to say that:

unfortunately it seems as though there has been a stock error with your order (#238410) and we are not actually able to fulfil your order which I can only apologise for. I’ve been in touch with our supplier to see if we could get the stock from them but unfortunately they are out of stock. I’ve taken the liberty of having a look to see if we can offer you anything as an alternative but I’m unable to find an equivalent from a different brand or in a different colour etc.

BUT

The exact same item is still listed on eBay, with 5 available, 2 sold and the price has been increased by 50%.

I’ve suggested they send me one of those ones that they obviously have in stock to sell at the new price. I have yet to hear back.

the problem is, if I accept their refund and their welshing on the contract (under sufferance), I risk losing the c.£40 paypal voucher that I wont be able to re-use at, say, CRC.

* I know the real answer is to take it on the chin and get on with my life, but I’m grumpy now and want to fantasise about my impending court win etc…

legend
    Free Member

Renton’ll be along shortly to share your pain 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The exact same item is still listed on eBay, with 5 available, 2 sold and the price has been increased by 50%.

I’ve suggested they send me one of those ones that they obviously have in stock to sell at the new price. I have yet to hear back.

When were they sold? After or prior to your purchase? If the shop in question doesn’t have some kind of inventory management system that live updates Ebay & they run multiple listings of the same item it can be a bit of a headache & they may have genuinely missed a listing to update quantities on.

A lot of Ebay sellers inflate prices when items are OOS so they don’t lose listing positions, then bring them back down again once the item is in stock, saves them a bit in listing fees, so to find it listed elsewhere on their shop albeit at a higher price is no guarantee of actual stock.

Personally, get a refund & move on. You can leave them appropriate feedback, which will affect their DSR’s which is generally a nightmare for Ebay business sellers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

I think 1 of the sales was before mine (at the lower price probably?) and the 2nd sale was probably mine as it’s still in the system as a completed sale for now.

Sandwich

Hand it all over to Trading Standards and let them have the joy of it.

Stoner
    Free Member

I really doubt TS have the time or resources to give a fig.

kayla1
    Free Member

Aye, Trading Standards won’t GAF and the seller will probably think ‘entitled ars*hole’ if you mention it. Just move on, chalk it up and don’t buy from them again? If you really want to be vindictive use the feedback system but, man, life’s too short to be holding grudges over stuff.

amedias
    Free Member

if you really really want the item, buy one the ‘available’ ones at the new price.

if it turns up, unleash hell on the lying barstewards

You’ll have the item you want, and at the end of the day and might get your discount.

If you didn’t really want the item anyway then move on and ask yourself why you’re getting het up over something you don’t want.

jam-bo

the problem is, if I accept their refund and their welshing on the contract (under sufferance), I risk losing the c.£40 paypal voucher that I wont be able to re-use at, say, CRC.

surely they got the full amount from paypal/ebay, so thats what they’ll refund?

Stoner
    Free Member

surely they got the full amount from paypal/ebay, so thats what they’ll refund?

They will, but Im guessing that the voucher value from paypal/ebay get’s recovered by them, and into the ether since it wont be valid anymore. Otherwise that would be an ace scam between you and a retailer to fleece free cash from ebay….

Stoner
    Free Member

well, as expected I’ve got stiffed.

I spoke to the seller who claimed that the lower priced item was “clearance stock that had sold out” and that the higher priced one in stock (exactly the ******* same thing) was not going to be sold at the original contract price. So a refund it had to be.

Once the full refund arrived in my Paypal account, ebay obviously took the voucher code value back (since the funds came from them in the first place) and I don’t get a chance to use it again. I’ve just wasted half the evening on CS chat with eBay who couldn’t give a stuff apart from put a black mark in the seller’s copy book.

So, dear Koo Bikes, also known as Cog Bikes http://cogs-bikes.com/ in Plymouth, you’re a bit ******* shit really. Don’t list stuff you have no intention of selling. Making up crap about one item being clearance stock, but the identical one sitting next to it on the shelf is not, is a bit ******* shit. You waste customer’s time, and in my case, you’ve cost me the use of a 20% eBay discount. You are not going on my Christmas card list.

nickdavies

You don’t necessarily have a contract – a buy it now from a business seller is the same as any distance sales contract, seller advertises, you offer a price, seller accepts or rejects and ships the goods if required. It would normally become a contract upon acceptance (usually shipping is acceptance, unless t&c’s or written acceptance overrides this) and the contract isn’t completed until you’ve accepted the goods.

In all likelihood there could be a genuine stock error on the cheaper item, and they could have paid more for the newer one, and they don’t want to discount it. It’s a bit crappy so you can report seller non performance to ebay if you like which can affect them negatively, but at the end of the day distance selling regs work both ways and it costs retailers a whole lot more than consumers and as a consumer you get the majority of the benefit.

richpips
    Free Member

Stoner has your STW account been hacked?

£40.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Whinge on their FB and twitter feeds.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve always been a tightwad, richpips!

Its the frustration at being screwed over by incompetence/deceit and not being able to do anything about, nor the shop giving two shits.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Bunch of ****s.

A pleading and explanatory call or Ebay or Paypal customer services will probably see your voucher reinstated.

Please ensure they receive negative feedback.

Another thing to note is that when they cancel the transaction stating “out of stock” they automatically receive a low detailed seller rating against that transaction, which has the same effect as negative feedback. Providing they have done this, then a negative won’t affect their rating to any greater degree (only ons low dsr per transaction counts against them). But leave them negative anyway for being lying ****s.

Stoner
    Free Member

Unfortunately my pleading has fallen on deaf ears at eBay.

The seller will be getting a good volley of neg when I can leave feedback in a few days time (have to wait 7days apparently).

Ebay customer service said that the seller’s “non-performance” goes on their record as well.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

It all goes on their record, but only one instance of failure (be that negative, low dsr, cancelled transaction etc) counts per item. These are known as defects, and then count one only.

Its an odd system in a way. If you leave my negative, then additional low seller ratings caused by opening a case etc won;t make it any worse, so I think some seller loose the incentive.

If he does this regularly he won’t last long. You need less than 2% defect rate to be top rated and less than 5% to keep your account.

gardron
    Free Member

Koo do this all the time on ebay, it’s very annoying. Had it with XX1 fat cranks from them in the past.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Another thing to note is that when they cancel the transaction stating “out of stock” they automatically receive a low detailed seller rating against that transaction, which has the same effect as negative feedback. Providing they have done this, then a negative won’t affect their rating to any greater degree (only ons low dsr per transaction counts against them). But leave them negative anyway for being lying ****s.

That’s why you never cancel a transaction on Ebay 😉

It all goes on their record, but only one instance of failure (be that negative, low dsr, cancelled transaction etc) counts per item. These are known as defects, and then count one only.

Its an odd system in a way. If you leave my negative, then additional low seller ratings caused by opening a case etc won;t make it any worse, so I think some seller loose the incentive.

If he does this regularly he won’t last long. You need less than 2% defect rate to be top rated and less than 5% to keep your account.

To be fair, looking at their Ebay shop (51000+ feedback, so probably 150,000-200,000 transactions, as only 25-33% of buyers leave feedback on average) they will just take the hit, when doing volume like that.

Unfortunately I would suggest just leave them the neg, and move on. I can’t imagine Ebay will be interested in your voucher either, such is life.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

That’s why you never cancel a transaction on Ebay

If you refund a transaction without canceling it, then a defect gets issued automatically nowadays. Lots of people used to just not cancel, as you mentioned, but ebay caught on.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘eBay, contracts, pricing etc’ is closed to new replies.