Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • eBay Chinese replica team kits – any experience??
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Looking at the Chinese replica cycling team kits on eBay.

I know they aren’t going to be as good material or pad as more expensive ones but the bibs and jersey are under £30 delivered!!

Not particularly after a team as such, just another set if bibs and a jersey for cheap cheap!

Anyone risked it and got specific seller recommendations??!

TheFlyingOx

Similar, but not eBay. I got a load of TLD stuff from AliExpress and it’s as good as the real thing for 1/3 of the price.

isitafox
    Free Member

I got some fake Fox racing kit last year from a seller on ebay who had everything removed shortly after for it being fake. It’s really decent quality, probably made in the same factories as the original gear anyhow, and I’d definitely recommend picking a set up. Will try and see if I can go that far back in my history to get the seller if they’re still trading.

porlus
    Free Member

Took a punt on a 2014 bardiani jersey from aliexpress. Think it was around £13 inc delivery. Materials are great. Nice lightweight perforated type fabric as you would expect on name brands. Silicon grippers on the bottom of the body part. Fits well, nice snug racing fit. Would definitely buy again. Steer clear of the shorts though. Bought some and the fit in the pad was bobbins. Like wearing a nappy and cant get it to fit snug.

joelm76
    Free Member

Yep, as above for me, the fit on the jersey was ok, but shorts just didn’t work properly, i thought it was impossible to mess something like that up but apparantly it is. Fabric seems good though?

iolo
    Free Member

Fake kit doesn’t go to fox/tld/rapha/whoever.
    It goes to some unscrupulous dodgy back street gaff with the morals of a (insert insult here).
    Enjoy it but without buyers the sellers wouldn’t exist.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It can also be destroyed on import and it’s also an offence to import stuff.

Also shorts are on of the most important things on a bike. Fit beats price

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t dress up in team kit but I’ve had a few bits and pieces in plain colours from the Chinese sellers.
    As above – good quality stuff at a great price.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Sorry should have been iolo, not after the team kit particular just was all i saw, now seen the plain strips and will likely go for one if them. It was price and quality, not pictures on it!!

Cheers all for the info, seems like it’s worth a punt

cloudnine
    Free Member

Got a link please?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

why would you want team kit, are you in the team?

never mind fake team kit, thats making my brain hurt

Doug
    Free Member

Fake team kit for fake team members. Makes sense to me!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Not particularly after a team as such

OP you might want to stick this in bold caps as it appears to be getting missed 🙄

as with most Chinese direct sales you take a risk, but most people have positive experiences. I know a couple of people with Chinese kit and its better than some branded kit they paid far more for in the UK. Personally I go for UK-sourced branded kit in sales, from brands I know fit me.

Fake kit doesn’t go to fox/tld/rapha/whoever.

Fox has been shifting poor quality cheap kit trading off a once-decent brand name for years, and you totally lost me at Rapha.

iolo
    Free Member

I am basically saying that any fake stuff will no doubt be feeding criminals. The Rapha came in as ive seen that for sale on ebay before today.
    If you do not like Fox kit that’s fine, don’t buy it. They however pay big money for advertising, design, material research etc and a guy in China just buys one, gives it to hid warehouse manager who then gets the staff (many of whom are probably kids the dame age as yours) to produce them for 5 pence a day.

ctk

Same kids who make the real Fox stuff!

Buy Lusso made in UK

iolo
    Free Member

Is that true ctk?
    I would like a link as I have a fair bit of fox kit. I will boycott if that’s the case.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Fake team discovery kit a few years back… I still wear the shorts under baggies on big rides and still impressed how they’ve held up.

monkeyboyjc

I bought a fake sky team kit from eBay a few weeks ago – just as a piss take as my boss has just bought an F8.

The I’ve used it a few times now the shorts are more comfortable than my other pairs costing £60+ and the top is great too. I cant see how ralfa justify the £150 (×2) rrp on the ‘real’ replica kit. In fact it’s so good I bought a Fake Tinkoff Saxo team kit as well to use on a Paris-Geneva trip.

dhrider
    Free Member

Anyone who has used AliExpress had any problems?
    They get some glowing reviews on Trust Pilot although I am aware alot of the time it is only the bad stuff you read online….
    https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.aliexpress.com

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maybe because they paid for someone to design it not copy it, maybe the fabrics are checked to maker sure they are made of what they say it is. Might be something to do with the Rapha and the rest putting money into cycling and funding some of these pro races that are going on right now. There is certainly a bit of name mark up going on but a chunk of the other costs are real, you can just get round them if you copy another design.
    Your also breaking the law
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/banned-restricted.htm#2

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you overcharge massively for your products them folk will under cut you IMHO it is your choice if you wish to pay a premium for the “brand”.
    I have no interest in wearing any brand or team kit. I would certainly not feel guilty about getting fakes anymore than they feel guilty about charging you a premium [ I would imagine in excess of £100 on some stuff] for their brand.

Neither is something I would choose to defend either

YMMV

monkeyboyjc

Dhrider – I’ve have good and bad experiences with Ali express – bought a set of carbon rigid 29er forks last year with no problems, arrived quickly and as discredit. But this year I bought a new set of 24″ forks for my daughter, seller marked as dispatched but the tracking info didn’t work and they didn’t answer my messages so I disputed and got refunded through the site.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I would certainly not feel guilty about getting fakes anymore than they feel guilty about charging you a premium [ I would imagine in excess of £100 on some stuff] for their brand.

MDV…

Buying fakes says you want to have the real thing but don’t want to pay – great but why do you want the look?
    Buy the cheap unbranded kit, enjoy the feeling that you you spent less not that you got a knockoff set.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MDV…

Google is also no help in letting me know what this means

Buying fakes says you want to have the real thing but don’t want to pay – great but why do you want the look?

I dont and I dont know why they do.

Buy the cheap unbranded kit, enjoy the feeling that you you spent less not that you got a knockoff set.

I imagine they dont want people to think/ and or look like they spent “less” and very few people , rightly or wrongly, are going to feel bad about copyright infringement.

elliot100
    Free Member

very few people , rightly or wrongly, are going to feel bad about copyright infringement.

Until it affects their interests, of course. Surely some of you cheapskates would be appalled if the product of your employment was ripped off.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some might some might not. Has, despite the protests, a company ever gone out of business because of fake goods bearing their name?
    IMHO if you wish to rip people off with expensive branding you should expect that “cheapskates” will buy knock off stuff with your brand. you probably still gain as you are still out there and aspirational to the point fools will pay £150 for something that costs about £5 to make.
    No one knocks off Aldi gear and they still make a profit from that.
    Each business model has pluses and minuses
    the minus of an expensive brand is you get copyright infringement the plus is a massive mark up for the brand.

hora
    Free Member

Why buy fakes? Just buy sale kit ffs

Wheres the QC? The dyes? You want non-qc’d dyes/kit next to your balls?

rOcKeTdOg

So buying fake team kit is abusing kids but buying plain kit isn’t? Who do you think makes the plain stuff?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you missed the big picture here, think of your balls that is why no one should buy fakes.

tomhoward

So buying fake team kit is abusing kids but buying plain kit isn’t? Who do you think makes the plain stuff?

That’s not so much the issue, if it’s that same stuff, just with a different colour that infringes copyright. The issue is if it’s something that is a pure copy, made from inferior materials, potentially toxic dyes and bears no relation at all to the original, save for a fox/tld/Rapha logo.

Say what you like about the price/quality of genuine kit, but you can rarely say it’s dangerous/criminal.

jota180
    Free Member

Are there any recorded incidents of cyclist’s having their balls poisoned by fake team wear?

monkeyboyjc

Ah. Now I know why my balls have shrivelled up!
    Thanks hora! 😀

taxi25
    Free Member

IMHO I don’t think manufacturer’s loose many sales to fake kit. People who buy the fake stuff for £30 aren’t the same customers who’d pay £150+ for the genuine product.
    For the sponsor their names out there even more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I agree with that ^^^^^

made from inferior materials, potentially toxic dyes and bears no relation at all to the original, save for a fox/tld/Rapha logo.

Say what you like about the price/quality of genuine kit, but you can rarely say it’s dangerous/criminal.
    You sound like you work for them tbh/
    Have you [ or any one else]any examples of people balls falling off from the use of fake kit and its “toxic ” dyes ?
    Any example of it being dangerous ?

cheekyget
    Free Member

The way I see it is …..you only really use the kit for 1 season …if you ride hard …so £30 a pop ain’t bad
    I do it every year

I even crashed this year and had to have my kit cut off me….I didn’t mind for £30 …but if I paid full price oooooooh!!!!

iolo
    Free Member

Your wife sleeps with another guy but it’s fine as he has a mask with your face.
    She gets fake you.
    Is this fine?

scandal42
    Free Member

What’s the difference between people wearing their favourite teams footy top at a match and someone wearing a team jersey when cycling?

jota180
    Free Member

Dunno, is it some weird analogy about your wife and a man in a mask?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is he dangerously inferior to me and whose balls drop off ?

smurfly13
    Free Member

Love it! Do like to post something that causes minor opinionated discussions.

FYI I have ordered some cheap kit off ebay from China, but it’s the plain colour stuff with no team images. I’m sure a 7 year old will probably make it and my balls will drop off but at least I have the comfort in knowing I look cheap!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘eBay Chinese replica team kits – any experience??’ is closed to new replies.