Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ebay – buying from abroad. Tax / duty question
  • rkk01
    Free Member

OK, so if I see a brand new product, being offered on ebay by a retailer, I’d expect to pay import duty / VAT etc on bringing it in to the UK…

But, what if said product is a moderately skanky, clearly used, second hand piece of kit? Do the same rules apply??

Interested because I’ve seen something very nice being offered by a Canadian seller.

frogstomp

Yes, it is based on the declared value of the goods..

godzilla
    Free Member

Just ask whoever sends it to posts as “GIFT” and of puts a low value on it ie $40’ish.
    No biggie,but ask the question to the seller before you buy as some wont do it.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ta. it’s for a pair of skis – so final value might be quite low (hopefully), but shipping is going to be a biggie irrespective of tax / duty…

Will keep it on my watch list

druidh
    Free Member

You pay tax/duty on the shipping cost too.

poly
    Free Member

Just ask whoever sends it to posts as “GIFT” and of puts a low value on it ie $40’ish.
    No biggie,but ask the question to the seller before you buy as some wont do it.

Some are quite sensible for not doing it because:

– it is illegal: why would you break the law for a complete stranger.
    – if the goods go missing or get damaged in transit the courier will point to the customs value (which must be right because its the law!) and you get sod all compensation.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Add the £18 or whatever Parcelforce will slap on for an ‘admin fee’ for handling the parcel too…

+1 to Poly. You’ll be stuffed if it goes walkabout.

twohats
    Free Member

I would add is that shipping from Canada is flipping expensive and very very slow
    Pretty much 90% of the stuff I buy on eBay comes from the states and I’ve never had issues with import tax, vat etc…

godzilla
    Free Member

Illegal or not people do it, i mainly buy stuff from abroad via ebay, if the item does not arrive i am coverd by paypal for the full ammount, it would be the seller that would loose out not me.
    I am speaking from experience, the only time i have ever had a problem was when i purchased a coat without asking the right questions and got charged £18 duty.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – buying from abroad. Tax / duty question’ is closed to new replies.