Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • eBay bike selling query
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve sold my bike on eBay this weekend, and the guy buying has been pretty poor with contacting me.

I had to email him to say thanks for buying etc etc. He emailed back, jjust saying he would like to pick up in person, (fair enough) but didn’t say anything about how he would pay, what his name was, or offering to ring or anything, which I think is just courteous. Few hours later I send another message saying I haven’t received payment by pay pal, he emails back, thought we could do cash, save you on PayPal fees. Ok I think…

Later I found his number on the EBay invoice, rang him and he was almost oh yeah the bike. I’ve arranged to meet him and pay cash for the bike. Not long back he texted suggesting I CANCEL Ebay, and we go halves on the sellers fees ie the 10% fee that EBay now put on bike sales..

Would you be inclined to do this… It will save me some cash.

To be honest it hasn’t felt quite right from the outset…however his ebay feedback is good, he is currently selling a few brand new mobile phones on there. When I tried to dig about his biking knowledge he did know you could no longer get hold of the brand of bike, but he didn’t ask any questions at all.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cancel after he collects and pays.

monkeyboyjc

i’d decline his offer – sounds like he’s paying in cash so that you drop the price a bit hense wanting you to cancel the ebay transaction so that yopu cant give him bad feedback.

Although ebay seller portection is limited, its still there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tmb467
    Free Member

Nope – if you were gonna do that the time to arrange it was before he won it.

Suppose it does depend on how much the fees are really. That’s the problem with eBay – well, that and the fact that the person you sold your possession to now doesn’t value it in the same way you do.

When people ask that I normally say no as it involves me taking all the risk. Although I do always ask anyone I’m buying from to do the same (not up to me if they agree or not)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok if I agree to cancel when we meet up & exchange cash, and not before, will there be any detrimental effect on my eBay rating etc if I cancel?

Scapegoat

No, you can even leave each other feedback, once you’ve both agreed to cancel the transaction. It’s safe enough once you’ve got the cash in your hand, but it is unethical. You’re cheating eBay out of their fee. It may be steep, but it helped you sell your bike. Whether you owe them a ny loyalty is up to you and your conscience.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Tell him to bring the full sale price in cash or don’t bother coming to get the bike. If he wanted to do a deal outside of ebay he should have made you an offer before the auction ended – it’s then your choice if you want to dodge the sellers fees.
    I’d be tempted just to tell him to sling his hook and either offer it to the second highest bidder, or just relist it and cancel the sale.

nealglover
    Free Member

Tell him to bring the full sale price in cash or don’t bother coming to get the bike.

This.

I hate it when people do a deal, and then try and change it afterwards.

Bregante

Are you arranging him to meet at a mutual location? If you haven’t already done so, don’t give him your address.

This fella operates on pink bike but the principle is the same

http://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=146142

bumps
    Free Member

Just sold a couple of bikes on ebay. The whole range of buyers from paypal honest and pleased with their purchase to won and then decided after payment they didn’t want it (cost me the refund fee – nob) and all in between.

Personally I wouldn’t do what he suggests. I hold people to the sale policy quoted in the item. I let people collect from home but made sure the bike was not where I keep them normally, and I ensured they paid paypal before collection. Him not coming to your address is a moot point – if you hit buyer details its all there anyway so not much to be gained from meeting elsewhere. However…

One guy asked to pay cash so I said I’d meet him at the bank, bank the cash so I knew it wasn’t dodgy and then give him the bike out of the back of the car. He didn’t have an issue with it and your guy shouldn’t if he’s honest.

Paranoid? Maybe but better that way than ripped off.

nealglover
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t do what he suggests.

Bumps, I wouldn’t either, but if you had done it that way in your case you mentioned above, you wouldn’t have had to refund and lose money. You could have told him to do one 🙂

bumps
    Free Member

Bumps, I wouldn’t either, but if you had done it that way in your case you mentioned above, you wouldn’t have had to refund and lose money. You could have told him to do one

That’s a fair point! 😯 I didn’t think about it like that but will next time – good tip!

Scapegoat

Bumps, there’s a current scam where the buyer pays PayPal and collects in person. They then open a PayPal dispute saying the item hasn’t arrived. Without proof of postage or a a signature on a parcel, PayPal have found in favour of the buyer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I got back to the guy and said would do through Ebay, so he is paying the full amount in cash.

Bit cheesed off with him… it sold on Sunday, but he couldnt pick up over the Bank Holiday.

Arranged to meet today (at a mutual location) and he has just texted to say his car has broken down, and would I mind driving to his house to drop it off 😈

He hasnt done anything as yet to properly go against Ebay rules (I dont think) but he is proper peeing me off with his attitude etc with the sale.

Can I pull the plug on him, or will I get in to trouble with him and Ebay?

taxi25
    Free Member

How far is the drive ? Did he mention paying for fuel.
    Very cheeky if he hasn’t.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

He did mention paying for fuel, but it would be a big time inconvenience too, going in to almost Leeds City centre.

Had a text from him saying he will see if a mate can drive him today or tomorrow…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sod him im cancelling, not had the courtesy to get back in touch to say if he was actually going to meet tonight as suggested.

Kamil wont be getting the bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘eBay bike selling query’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts