Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ebay bike sale advice please
  • neilthewheel

i posted a bike for sale on ebay last night. Already I have a fellow asking if he can come to see the bike today. Should I let him come or is he probably just trying to force a cheap sale/bypass ebay rules/case my house for future burglary? It’s a road bike so you can see from the pics it is in good condition.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m happy for people to come see, but I have a shop – you could agree a place to meet if you’re worried.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I am not going to buy a decent bike from you without a lot of proof of ownership and identity unless you meet me at your home or your workplace

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Don’t be paranoid…if you want to buy a bike you’d bloody well want to see it first! And what’s wrong with bypassing ebay in a sale? They’re not a charity…if he makes an offer and it’s what you want then sell it and end the listing!

jimjam
    Free Member

Coincidentally I’ve spotted a nice road bike on Ebay. I’m currently trying to arrange a time to go look at it but the seller’s being a bit cagey. As well he might be, for unbeknownst to him I plan to accost him with a sharpened spoon, bind him with duct tape and then set about performing an artistic and erotic display with a tom cat, a shetland pony and a staple gun of such debauchery, such lasciviousness and such depravity it would make a Tory MP blush.

After which I will pay the asking price for the bike and bid him good day.

nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t think I would buy a bike without looking at it. Its the seller that benefits from a cash sale outside ebay so worth considering

skids
    Free Member

I would be happy that someone wants to come and see the bike, shows they are serious and they might make you an offer

angeldust
    Free Member

Think to remember is that ebay is full of idiots, some honest, some dishonest, and it is difficult to spot the honest buyers. However it is difficult to argue with the size of the audience the item receives.

I recently sold a bike on there with a minimum bid of £1000 (twice what someone on here would tell you it was worth). I had dozens of requests to sell it for cash before the sale ended (between £750 and £1300). I just told people to bid if there were interested and that I would not be supplying my address for collection until the payment was made and received after auction had ended (I do this for all items). Eventually got £1150, and was happy with that, as was the buyer.

You don’t need the hassle of meeting people to view, and unfortunately there are too many time wasters/crooks on ebay to allow that. Describe the bike accurately, and take lots of photos so you can prove the bike is as described, and has been collected by the buyer. If that diminishes the market, tough.

neilthewheel

Thanks folks! Looking forward to that bit with the Shetland pony.

angeldust
    Free Member

Further note: I’ve sold a few of my old bikes on ebay at around the £1000 mark, without ever allowing someone to view first, so it is quite possible. Descriptions have always been truthful, and I’ve never has any issues, or anything other than good feedback. They have always sold to ‘non-mtber’s’ or people ‘just getting back into it’.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve bought bikes outside of eBay to the advantage to both – buyer & seller. eBay takes 10% & PayPal another 4% so I have negotiated a discount of half of this against what the seller really wanted – give or take.

Most people I’ve met on eBay have been pretty decent & sometimes tend to buy ‘good’ bikes as toys & soon tire of them.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

without ever allowing someone to view first

Just what someone with something to hide would do. I wouldn’t be bidding on a bike that the vendor doesn’t want you to see.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i tend to meet buyers at the nearest motorway services. dont like strangers rolling up at my crib.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Chat to the prospective buyer about what he’s looking for, you’ll soon realise if he’s a serious cyclist or a crook. Let them come and see it, don’t show them where it’s usually stored. If he wants to test ride it, make sure you get the full asking price in your hand in cash before he goes.
    There’s a lot of dicks on ebay, but there’s also a huge number of nice normal people.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

One thing i would do 100% is not show them the bike in the garage / shed.

I always take the bike in the house and show them in the kitchen or whatever.

If they don’t come in a car don’t let them ride it!

No door number until they arrive in the street.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ebay bike sale advice please’ is closed to new replies.