Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ebay advice
  • trailertrash

I bought some Magura Martas on ebay, front and rear in two separate auctions, same seller. They were advertised as the default of used/cosmetic wear and tear. They looked fine and dandy in the photos. I paid quickly and the guy posted them quickly, all good.

This is the front one sale link

Unfortunately when it arrived the front/right hand lever had a lot of slop and had been painted with gloss black paint around the pivots. I dismantled it and found that it was quite badly scored by rubbing on the mount and had been repaired with plastic metal then painted over. It is weaker than it would normally be. The seller denies all knowledge, says he bought them from a reputable bike shop, was quite happy riding it, and as I didn’t ask for more details before buying them he is saying “tough luck that’s ebay”. I can’t be bothered with the hassle of negotiating a return and have asked him to contribute to a repair. He has not replied. I am sure he has a different perspective on this but I am disappointed.

Any advice?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered with the hassle of negotiating a return and have asked him to contribute to a repair.

Sounds like getting £ out of him may not be easy.

The easiest thing is to set up a dispute, that may focus his thoughts.

geoffj

Any advice?

Goods not as described, open a dispute.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

IMO actual condition doesn’t reflect ‘used/cosmetic wear and tear’. Open a dispute at the very least.

trailertrash

Dispute opened. Thanks for the advice.

hora
    Free Member

don’t muck about with brakes (or sell them as mucked around with).

cann68
    Free Member

“The seller denies all knowledge, says he bought them from a reputable bike shop”.

Strange how he states in his auction that they were taken off his bike?

Damn rip-off merchants.

neninja
    Free Member

If you paid by Paypal you will more than likely get your money back. It just takes a while.

TheSlider
    Free Member

“If you paid by Paypal you will more than likely get your money back”
    Echo that ! My sister got her money back recently because the keyboard she brought from e-bay was used by a smoker and was filthy !! AND she has the keyboard as well. Result ! Good luck mate

trailertrash

I’d like to think he didn’t mean to rip me off, and that he was just careless about his (lack of) description and never really looked at his brakes when he had them on his bike or when he took them off. The bushings were shot away suggesting simple lack of attention. Perhaps I put his back up by insisting on him seeing me right. Dunno. Either way I hope it turns out ok as the £170 I gave him for the pair was quite high in relation to the prices you see in our classifieds on here for pairs of Martas.

trailertrash

cann68 – Member
    “The seller denies all knowledge, says he bought them from a reputable bike shop”.

Strange how he states in his auction that they were taken off his bike?

Damn rip-off merchants.

To be fair he bought the bike from Leisure Lakes a couple of years ago and then took the brakes off it to sell recently, so no he didn’t just get the brakes from a shop – my ambiguity there, sorry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ebay advice’ is closed to new replies.