Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Eats in Edinburgh
  • grannyringking
    Free Member

Looking for some suggestions – overnight visit to Edinburgh with mrs grannyringking – we always end up in the same restetaunts – looking for some fresh ideas – any recommendations?

tjagain

what sort of food?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Scran and scally in Stockbridge is a good gastro pub.

Seasons on broughton Street is great Nordic style. Where you just pick number of courses and mark things you don’t like on a list, so becomes an experience.

joshvegas
    Free Member

This needs some guidance as per tj.

Because its a loooooong list

tjagain

20 plus restaurants within 500m of my flat. From Michelin starred to cheap and cheerful! I go to the ship on the shore for its seafood.

speedstar

Tanjore. Clerk street. Dosas.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I love bubba q. http://www.bubbaq.co.uk/ Kind of carnivore heaven.
    Also kismot curry house does a good deishi.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-d943693-Reviews-Kismot-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

cbike
    Free Member

Beirut (BYOB) , Kims mini meals, and the Korean bbq near the kings theatre are great.

grannyringking
    Free Member

Open to pretty much anything, usually go to gustos for pizza, the Thai place on George street (can’t remember the name) and tapas (cafe Andalusia).

poolman
    Free Member

As recommended on here lat year di giorgio in stockbridge, was lovely. I hope to return this christmas. That gastropubthoughmay edge it.

Wheres the ship on the shore? I love oysters.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Vietnam house. BYOB

BoardinBob

Wahaca for Mexican

tjagain

poolman – Member .

Wheres the ship on the shore? I love oysters.

the Shore leith

poolman
    Free Member

Ok thanks, i ll go

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Saboteur or Ting Thai Caravan at Teviot Place are both excellent and reasonably priced.
    Pizza Posto on South Bridge (across from Festival Theatre) is also excellent and has very good prices

mucker

Have to recommend “Let me eat too”, at the Cowgatehead (between the Grassmarket and Candlemakers Row).
    Great food, coffee and music, hoo’mungus portions and sensible prices, the pierogi are incredible.

5plusn8
    Free Member

the Shore leith

Used to be really nice all along the shore, its a bit less nice now but the Ship is the best of it.

rickmeister

Garderers Cottage gets a good review as well.

alishand

El Cartel on Thistle Street. Sublime mexican food, and frozen margaritas.

You can’t book a table so either rock up early, or get your name on the waiting list, go and drink nice beer in the Bon Vivant, and they’ll come and get you when ready.

warton
    Free Member

Ting Thai Caravan

+1

also, Lovage is nice, just off the royal mile. quite formal, but very good.

kennyp
    Free Member

So many good restaurants here it’s hard to know where to start. La Sal if you like Spanish (difficult to find as it’s tucked away down a backstreet). Valvonna & Crolla if you like good Italian. Ignite if you like Indian. L’Escargot Blanc if you like French. Mamas if you like pizza. Bonnie Burrito if you want fantastic takeaway burrito. The Witchery if your wallet needs emptying (is superb though). Bann’s if you want good quality veggie food. Absolute Thai if you like Thai. Vietnam House if you like Vietnamese. The Three Birds if you want bistro.

And loads loads more. Just stay from all those bland chain places.

hedley
    Free Member

If you like whisky and good food then the Dining Room.

28 Queen Street and run by The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

http://www.thediningroomedinburgh.co.uk/

scruff9252

Agree with alot of the above. I’ll also add in the mosque kitchen for really good curries – no alcohol (obviously), often communal tables but seriously good food.

Also check out Harikuju Kitchen in bruntsfield for Gioza and awesome Japanese food.

Thai lemongrass is also pretty good

DougD

If you like pizza I’d recommend Pizzeria 1926, Origano or Civerinos over Mamas.

For Thai I’d recommend both Ting Thai caravan (informal) or Nok’s Kitchen in Stockbridge (bit more formal).

Haven’t tried Saboteur (Vietnamese) yet but run by the same people that do Ting Thai caravan so if that’s anything to go by it should be good.

Ada knocks out some excellent Turkish dishes and tasty grilled meats

Gary_M
    Free Member

Mamas if you like pizza

That’s good to know as we’ve booked it for a night in edinburgh at the end of this month.

Also going the weekend before and we struggled to get a table anywhere, managed to get one at the Printing Press on the Friday – any good?

matt_outandabout

I’m cooking up on an open fire at Sciences Primary all day today if you want to join Primary 1…. 😀

rajboab
    Free Member

Chop Chop on Morrison Street near Haymarket station for a Chinese banquet of various dumplings and accompanying dishes. Reasonably priced and very informal.

lucky7500

The Gardeners Cottage is indeed good as an experience. I’d put in a vote for the educated flea on Broughton street as well. You pretty much always need to book as it’s quite small but the food has been fantastic the couple of times I’ve been.
    The Basement at the top of Broughton street does good Mexican style as well, although it is more of a bar atmosphere than restaurant. If you happen to be in the Southside part of Edinburgh then SouthPour is probably worth a shout as well.
    I have to put in a recommendation for Hakataya, just off Rose street if you happen to like Ramen. It’s the best I’ve found so far in Edinburgh!!

oldtennisshoes

ticks for future reference

kormoran
    Free Member

For all day breakfasts, lunches and afternoon tea affairs Twelve Triangles on Duke Street Leith (Bottom of Loch End Road) is awesome.

Top of Leith Walk – Cafe Marlene has done some fantastic steaks

Armaan’s Tasty Bites Duke Street Leith – kebabs etc

East Pizza – new on Commercial Street Leith. Been once so far, really nice pizzas. Will def be going back

The Tail End on Leith Walk – great sit in Fish and Chips

Edit David Banns is fantastic, highly recommended although uphill all the way from mine. Cool going home tho’

muddyground
    Free Member

Magna Hungaria on the London Road was authentically different. Really enjoyed it – made a change from the inevitable Italian. Didn’t really rate Oregano – nice food and service, but instantly forgettable. Did like the decor though – which I copied for my dining room.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Try Meze Meze on Rose Street for Turkish / Greek / Mediterranean tapas. Also never been dissapointed at Cafe Truva for breakfast / lunch.

Zest just off St Andrews Square is good for curry as is Mother India on Infirmary Street.

Someone above mentioned the Printing Press. Never been but has a good reputation. The (head) chef is on Masterchef professionals at the moment.

waliboy

Hanedans on West Preston Street is a favourite of mine, relaxed, simple Turkish food but it all tastes amazing.

bruneep

David Bann veggie restaurant was very good. I’m a non veggie

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Eats in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.