Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Eating whale is kinder than eating chicken – discuss.
  • Northwind

I did a sneak edit on the actual economic side of it.

Oh, and

jam bo – Member

japanese are killing an endagered species

except they aren’t.

Sei and Fin whales are both endangered species.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I can’t find a longer clip, but there’s a sequence in Carl Sagan’s Cosmos which more-or-less treats large whale species as societies, capable of sophisticated communication over near-global distances conveying colossal amounts of information. Then of course goes on to point out that these societies have been almost wiped out and deafened by human activity. Then goes on to speculate on what people would do to any off-world alien society they encountered. It’s slightly hippy-trippy stuff, and the marine biologists may have concluded since that whales are pretty dim and all that singing is just Reddit-style trash talk and dank memes, but it got me rather.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGFFyqTe0u0[/video]

I’m not eating any whales. And if you convince me that the killing of a chicken is morally equivalent I’ll probably go back to being vegetarian pretty fast. 🙂

jam-bo

Sei and Fin whales are both endangered species.

i didn’t dispute that.

tinybits
    Free Member

specifically on the subject of japanese whaling, what’s weird is that they don’t even make money off it; the whaling fleet is dependent on subsidy. And the quantity of meat exceeds demand.

Then is makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
    Why spend even more money, to kill something that most of the rest of the world gets pissed off about, while pretending it’s for scientific reasons.

Buggered if I can work it out.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Wow that’s weird – I dunno why but for some reason I feel like going out and buying an electric scooter?

Northwind

jam bo – Member

i didn’t dispute that.

OK then, were you aware that in previous years when they’ve said they’re only taking minke, they’ve ended up also catching sei and fin whales? Course, this year could be miraculously different but it’s their SOP.

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Eating whale is kinder than eating chicken – discuss.’ is closed to new replies.