Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Eating out
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, it’s not another Michael Douglas thread!

If you were about to go out for dinner, and had the choice of pretty much every form of international cuisine, what would you choose and why?

Answers on the back of a greasy napkin if you please.

tomhoward

One that I hadn’t tried before.

I really do love all styles of food, picking a favourite would be like picking a favourite limb.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Eating on your own or with company?

On my own then perhaps a Thai where they sit you down in rows. I’d feel less self conscious.

If a couple then I’m into Lebanese/Turkish at the momnent and fits in nicely with the warm weather. Plus you usually have nice sharing platters of olives, stuffed vine leaves, falafel etc

RustySpanner

Too much choice!
    Not fussed as long as it’s good – impossible to choose.
    Not been to a really good Chinese restaurant for ages though, so possibly that.

And followed by a full English breakfast the morning after.

molgrips
    Free Member

It depends on mood, to be honest.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Italian for me and my wifey-no idea why, our favourite local restaurant is an Italian though. Had some amazing meals out in Venice last year.

Off to Paris in 6 weeks which will be my first time eating proper French cuisine.

miketually
    Free Member

It would depend on what we’d eaten recently.

messiah
    Free Member

Pho

A huge bowl of the Vietnamese soup with all the greenery and stuff to bung in it would go down perfectly right now.

*schluuuuurp*

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Japanese probably, some nice sushi and sashimi then a ton of shabu-shabu.

Or anything else from Asia generally, maybe a Malaysian curry – best curry’s I’ve had

brakes
    Free Member

some kind of pan-Asian restaurant that did amazing sushi, sashimi, tempura, ricey soupy noodles, a thai beef salad with mint and lime and watermelon, curry…
    or if I had to pick, Vietnamese.

dammit I’m hungry now.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Thai – nom nom

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

thai or vietnamese

geoffj

Nice bit of proper sushi
    Fresh, low(ish) carb, loaded with omega 3

zippykona

Roast.

toby1

Mexican, I’m a simple creature 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Had some amazing meals out in Venice last year.

eh? whereabouts? IME eating in Venice is expensive and poor.
    Anyway, all depends on mood – right now a nice thin and crispy pizza with some cheap red wine would work for me – Pizza Gina Sorbillo would do nicely.
    For the Apple fanbois

mmmmmm pizza, followed by ice cream from Gay Odin.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Veggie sausage sandwich + pint of cider. Or two.

BigJohn

Spanish for me.

A proper old style stand-up tapas joint.

That lovely bellota ham that tastes like bacon flavoured toffee, the pork tenderloin cooked rare, the tomatoes with roquefort sauce, artichoke hearts with scrambled egg, the chicken, clam chorizo & scallop paella, the garlic prawns, the griddled asparagus, the grilled lamb kidneys, all washed down with a few glasses of Tio Fino…

…ooh hang on, isn’t that the menu at my birthday party at home on Saturday… Oh so it is. 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

French or contemporary British. Locally, here: Cafe 21

brakes
    Free Member

here: Cafe 21

Bistro 21 used to be my go-to restaurant for special occasions when I live in Durham.

samuri
    Free Member

Really high quality Indian would do it for me although I do like tapas.

tomhoward

bacon flavoured toffee

*faints*

ThePinkster

My local Teppanyaki grill will do for me at the moment.

Wonderful food and entertaining floor show performed by the chefs while they cook.

ocrider

A proper old style stand-up tapas joint.

If there ain’t a patanegra hanging from the ceiling, I’m off next door.

Add to that some padrones, sepiones and croquetas, wash it down with buckets of wine and then we’ll decide what we shall have for dinner!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep Venice has a terrible rep….we stayed in Cannareggio which is the furthest place possible from St Marks Square. Had an excellent fish meal at a place called Alla Bacca and an even better meal the following night but can’t remember what it was called. They were both closed on the Monday that we were their-as are all good restaurants as there is no fish market that day. Had a couple of expensive plates of disgusting mess though too.

Any recommendations for decent places to eat in Paris that don’t require a remortgage beforehand?

ThePinkster

When in Paris this is the place to eat – Nos Ancetres les Gaulois

Great atmosphere, amazing food and really good set price for as much food & vino as you can quaff.

alpin
    Free Member

Indian.

or maybe a descent Chinese (of which there are very few in Schermany).

or a visit to the Augustinerkeller on Arnulfstr for some venison. hmmm…

crikey
    Free Member

I’d go Middle Eastern; went in a lovely Lebanese restaurant in Gent with my Dad the last time he travelled anywhere, and it was so good we went back for another night, with the full shisha and pidgin French conversation with the owner ’til the small hours.

Like Mexican too, but more of a Tex-Mex than deep authentic Mexican.

I don’t like fancy food, and tend to go for ‘peasant food’ with the rough edges smoothed off, or the head cut off…

Mackem

Indian or Greek- Basque food is nice but there isnt a lot of variety. The Indians are no better than I can make, Greek food doesnt seem to exist, Italian food is spag bol and pizza.

RustySpanner

The Indians are no better than I can make,

Really?

Ever had a Nehari?

Dreams of Sunday morning and wipes drool off chin…….

Soap Street, Manchester. Open about 11ish.

tomhoward

Indian or Greek- Basque food is nice but there isnt a lot of variety. The Indians are no better than I can make, Greek food doesnt seem to exist, Italian food is spag bol and pizza.

You are eating in the wrong places…..

Mackem

I’m talking about the Indian restaurants in the Basque country (and the Italian ones etc). I’m no great cook, I’m sure the Indian chefs are just catering to the local taste. (which is to be scared of any spice)

I live near Bilbao.

RustySpanner

Mackem – Member

I’m talking about the Indian restaurants in the Basque country (and the Italian ones etc). I’m no great cook, I’m sure the Indian chefs are just catering to the local taste. (which is to be scared of any spice)

I live near Bilbao.

If you start swimming now, you just might make it. 😀

Bet the seafood’s a bit special.

Mackem

I’m allergic to seafood. 🙂

D0NK

Ever had a Nehari?

Nihari where I get them*, fantastic!

Quite partial to indian, but anything really, I’m not fussy, do prefer strong flavours tho, I don’t really do subtle.

*ah I see this & that do a daily menu too, nihari is saturdays at rice n three

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was at zarzarbazzar in Bristol recently which has many styles available in serve yourself fashion. I gravitated to the Indian sub continent. Recommended for a slightly different dining experience.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Eating out’ is closed to new replies.