Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Eating on the bike
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Planning to do 100km tomorrow, did 60km last week and don’t want to do too much further without having something on the way.

So when should I start eating? And will a couple of granola bars and the emergency Haribo be enough? Going to get some arm warmers at lunch so might buy a couple of gels to try as well.

d45yth
    Free Member

You could do with aiming for around 300 calories an hour. A bit of protein helps when riding for more than a couple hours too.

titusrider
    Free Member

i would suggest you are carefully with gels, they can be hard on the stomach if u arnt used to them.

my recommendation would be shot bloks and some bars (with plenty of water)

CheesybeanZ

flapjack , the local pound stretcher does some with fruit or chocolate .

binners

You’re bound to pass at least a couple….

FuzzyWuzzy

Eating something decent like a banana an hour before the ride will help, then I’d prob just have a flapjack or energy bar after a couple of hours and take a gel for emergencies (this is assuming you aren’t stopping). Peanut butter & jam sandwich is nice to if you can be bothered to do them before (and can be a hassle to carry depending on pocket space). Guess depends how fast you’re going to be going to (a 3 hour hard training ride vs a 10 hour pannier-laden touring ride, you def want to be stopping for real food if the latter)

fasthaggis

Have your breakfast then go.
    Take two bars,two gels,two bottles and just nibble and sip all the way round.
    It’s only 62 miles after all.

This is more than enough for a healthy young thing to manage on 🙂

Or if you really struggle ,follow the Binners method at every opportunity 😀

jota180
    Free Member

I usually go with bananas, fig rolls and something like a couple of those individual cheeses or a Pepperami for a savoury hit. I also have a couple of gels for emergency use

I usually have something every hour or so, so 1 banana or 2fig rolls every feed

jonba
    Free Member

Is this road or mtb. I couldn’t ride 60 miles off road without food. I’d be looking at 5+ hours of riding!

Bananas, cereal bars, flapjack, haribo. No need for special food unless you are really going for it in a race (even then it is more the convenience/ease of consumption of gels and drinks than anything else)

Start eating straight away. I aim for a banana/bar every hour when riding for 4hours+ (hard riding, not pootling on the flat).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can only comment on if this distance is for road… I’d be able to make it round without any food but would be noticeably harder towards the end… have something solid over gels.

Actually re-reading your post …it sounds like the plan you have is a pretty good one

Lifer
    Free Member

On-road and aiming to keep my speed up to 26km/h. Been gradually increasing the distance while maintaining that average so far.

fasthaggis – Member
    Have your breakfast then go.
    Take two bars,two gels,two bottles and just nibble and sip all the way round.
    It’s only 62 miles after all.

Yeah I know but just need reassurance really! Bonked once in my life (on the mtb) and definitely want to avoid that again. 60km was after 3 weetabix for breakfast and nothing else. Little and often sounds like a plan.

Day of firsts today, first arm warmers, first pot of chamois cream and first ‘proper’ energy bars (went for Mule bars IIRC they’re quite popular on here?)

disco_stu
    Free Member

I did a 100km on the road last Sunday, I had an omelette for breakfast and then when out on the bike – 2 ice creams and a few slices of home made fruitloaf.

Lifer
    Free Member

Interesting, take the old Soreen Banana loaf when I’m hiking but thought that might be a bit heavy on the bike. Guess there’s only one way to find out!

Kryton57

I use Soreen banana loaf. If you get the “lunch box bars” you get handy 150cal bars wihch fit 3 or 4 to a pocket.

My last 100k included Soreen 3 bars, I eat 1 every hour on the hour, and an energy+caffiene gel 1 hour from the end.

Haven’t seen much mention of it but “Nectar” juice from the makers of Goodness shakes seems to be a superb addition to my bottles. You can mix it in 3 strenghts, I had 1 bottle at middle strength (exercise strength for hydration) and 1 at hydration + red bull strength – this one I use last – for 100 miles distance, 1 bottles normal strenght for short rides or 2 for 100k’s.

Lifer
    Free Member

Nice, thanks for the info Kryton all very useful. Haven’t been able to get hold of the little bars round here but will get some online because I do love the banana loaf!

jota180
    Free Member

if the 100k is road miles, I wouldn’t normally eat anything, just have a good breakfast and the emergency gels
    Unless I’m likely to be out over 4 hrs, I don’t bother

_tom_
    Free Member

I remember seeing a chav cycling along eating a doner kebab whilst riding no handed. That’s proper bike handling skills.

nick1962
    Free Member

Live a little

CFH’s bike?

DT78
    Free Member

My regular 58 mile after work loop takes just over 3 hours, so 2 small bottles of water and a fruit bar are normally sufficient. Emergency gel in the pocket just in case

labsey
    Free Member

Bananas and jelly babies. Not at the same time though.

Kryton57

Lifer – they sell them in Sainsbury’s – Lunchbox size of both standard and banana versions. Good idea to open a couple before the ride though if you don’t want to stop, they are not designed to be opened with gloves/whilst moving 🙂

I would add that my energy gel isn’t a standard for my 100k+ rides, but an emergency option.

zangolin
    Free Member

4 x fig rolls per hour after 1st hour.
    2 x 750ml bottles of whatever your fav energy drink/mix
    That will do me on a summer 3 hour road ride.

RustySpanner

60 miles?

Large bowl of porridge beforehand.
    Two water bottles (Vimto, of course 🙂 ).
    Couple of flapjacks, just in case.
    Packet of Jelly Babies.
    Caff stop half way for a nice cup of tea and a cake the size of your head.

Kryton57

I can’t stop at a cafe, it affects my average speeds :-/ 😉

Kryton57

Oh and a good tip about Jelly Babies (which I also use), if you can’t stand the sweetness of the originals, co-ops own brand are of similar sugar / carbo content but for some reason taste far less sweet.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Eating on the bike’ is closed to new replies.