Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Eating in Edinburgh
  • jruk
    Free Member

I’m off to Edinburgh next weekend and looking for somewhere for a few of us to eat on Saturday night. We want proper Scottish food (no, not deep fried pizza pies), not a chain and where it’s OK to be a bit noisy. Cheap will also be a bonus.

Any suggestions?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is no such thing as scottish cuisine really. seafood, oats, mutton and root veg is about it plus dairy 🙂

How many folk and how cheap?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Kushi’s curry place, just opened up at the top end of Leith Walk / Elm Row area. Proper Scottish food (curry), and not your usual spicy stew you get everywhere else, proper curry.

jruk
    Free Member

OK, some blood and guts (for the boys) plus what you said. £20 – £30 a head plus booze money? 9 of us in total.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kings Wark in leith? No booking tables in the bar tho so get there very early to get tables for nine. restaurant bit can be booked.

http://www.list.co.uk/place/100485-the-kings-wark/

Game and fish mainly.

Guilianos – pizza and pasta with a bit of meat and fish – two places top of leith walk or leith shore.

jruk
    Free Member

Thanks TJ. Will have a hunt around. Someone’s suggest ‘A Room In’. Know anything about it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I know where it is thats all. Has a good rep for food

teh shore bar and fishers are a couple more nice eateries down this way

http://www.fishersbistros.co.uk/the-shore-bar-and-restaurant.php

http://www.fishersbistros.co.uk/fishers-in-leith.php

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve never rated a room in.

I’m a big fan of any Dogs restuarant, not expensive and great value. Very central.

Illegal Jacks for canteen style mexican food and good value.

ojom
    Free Member

Will back up Al on the Dog’s stuff

Also, try Hanedans up in the Southside. Next to Cask n Barrell Southside too so ace beer and drams also.

fannybaws
    Free Member

This might fit your bill for Scottish…Scotch

Dogs above is good as well though..

ChrisL

Traditional Scottish food appears to be leftovers so just take whatever’s in your fridge and bung it in a microwave when you get here. 🙂

jimmy

I’m a big fan of any Dogs restuarant, not expensive and great value. Very central.

+1 for The Dogs (original) if it’s Scottish nosebag you’re after.

There’s the Underdogs bar below as well, which I haven’t been to but is supposed to be good in cosy quirky way.

kennyp
    Free Member

Agreed re Dogs, but not Illegal Jacks. Don’t like the place at all. If you want a great curry I’d suggest Ignite on Morrison St.

If you want “proper Scottish” then get a fish supper, or even better a pie supper. With salt and vinegar (in Edinburgh they try and force salt and sauce on you, but resist), a pickled onion and a can of Irn Bru.

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh, and A Room in the West End, and A Room in the Town both do good Scottish bistro-style grub.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Eating in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.