Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Eat, Fast and Live Long – Horizon last night…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If all the conflicting nutrition information wasn’t enough to put your head in a spin now we’ve got to not eat to control are IGF1 levels.

What I want to know though is does calorie restriction have to be as extreme as just 600 calories a day if you’re burning a couple of thousand through exercise??

IanMunro
    Free Member

I missed the programme, but I remember seeing another one on calorie restriction to increase life-span. Seemed a pretty miserable form of existence though. IIRC they’d isolated the magic chemical which does it, but I imagine like most of these magic chemicals, life will conspire to outwit them.

rkk01
    Free Member

Didn’t watch this, but based on a colleague’s description I will be viewing via iPlayer…

Again, from my colleague’s report, sounds like a resounding endorsement of the…

PALAEO DIET

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philconsequence
    Free Member

just live on protein supplements and the endorphins from getting too close when stalking, you’ll be alright

rkk01
    Free Member

To continue the above theme,

6 years ago we had a 100th birthday party for a relative. He was in fine form, and in an after dinner speech put his longevity down to his time in Italy during the war. A time where he witnessed the poverty and diet of the Italian peasants. Since then he has eaten very little meat and drank very, very little alcohol.

His son, with whom he has a “sparring” relationship, retorted that if he was going to have to give up on meat and booze, then he’d forego his 100th…!

Anyway, this year was birthday No. 106, and he is still of agile body and mind. Your typical small, wiry, bright eyed type of person.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Wasn’t this the same guy who did a programme earlier in the year about how just 3 seconds of HIT every 6 months was equivalent to spending 5 hours every day riding a bike.*
    He should be awesome by now.

*figures supplied from the daily mail absolute fact generator.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The OP’s summary is inaccurate. Needs more work for more attention.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ian – that’s what I thought it would be… miserable. In reality following a 5 normal, 2 fast weekly pattern didn’t look so bad.

Even the calorie restricting guy (who seemed a bit of a freak) was eating 1900 calories a day. 51 and BF of 11%!

The thing the program suggested was that eating a lot of protein increased you IGF1 production so increased the aging process.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The OP’s summary is inaccurate. Needs more work for more attention.

If it works on mice…

philconsequence
    Free Member

so eating during the week, fasting on weekends? could you not get those 48 hours of fasting through sleep and gaps between meals?!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think it’s a bit more than just fasting between meals Philly. I’ve been doing that all my life.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mice are complicated though.
    If I buy a sugared mouse it tastes great!
    But if I sugar a mouse the cat’s found it doesn’t taste half as good. Yet the latter is free-range so should be more yummy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It also reduced his blood glucose level from borderline diabetic and well as decreasing his bodyfat level. (though, that measurement was done using magic bathroom scales).

philconsequence
    Free Member

oh. i snack between meals and have a mini-fast between snacks, i’ve decided that Mars ‘refuel’ milkshakes are a perfectly decent drink to consume between meals and snacks.

ianpinder
    Free Member

😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DD – I thought he looked a lot better as a result of fasting. Ian, it was the 5 sec exercise guy.. that was too much for him apparently so he’s going for this instead… sounded like he would stick at it too.

Drac

@DrMichaelMosley: @DrMichaelMosley do you exercise on fast day? Is 600 intake NET of calories burned through exercise?” I walk, cycle and resumed HIT

IanMunro
    Free Member

It also reduced his blood glucose level from borderline diabetic and well as decreasing his bodyfat level.

Yeah he was claiming his 3 seconds on an exercise bike was doing the same, so how come he’s still bordeline diabetic and fat?
    Unless of course he made both programmes in parallel, which would kinda invalidate any conclusions he draws.

/Edit Ah just saw your other post. He claimed that he was going to stick to that too. I give him 2 summer months of will-power 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Didn’t know this was on so will have to catch up on it. But 600 calories a day?! What was he eating to make up the calories?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

is there a quick summary? That exercise program had about 5 minutes worth of information spread out over an hour! I can’t be bothered with that in these days of wikipedia synposises.

Is it basically, fast for one day and you’ll live longer?

I guess it’d save quite a bit of time too. I wonder if i could get all my eating done on monday, all my sleeping done on tuesday and a bit of wednesday, then have the rest of the week free?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What was he eating to make up the calories?

Highly nutritious low calorie stuff.. fruit and veg.

HoratioHufnagel – there are lots of ways you can fast and get benefits. The most practical being eat normally for 5 days and then eat just 600 (per day) calories for 2 days. That just about covers it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno, with all the cynicism surrounding Horizon these days, anyone would feel a fool for taking it as presented. Essentially, research indicates that periods of fasting (or reduced calorie intake) reduce bodyfat percentage, levels of hormone IGF1, blood glucose level and overall weight. He tried a 5-2 approach. It reduced his bodyfat percentage, he lost a stone and his blood glucose levels dropped to a point where he didn’t have to take tablets to control it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

does the 2 days restricted calories have to be consecutive?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not as foolish as the cynics will feel lying in their death beds whilst you do a little jig and then head out for another marathon…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Anyone tempted to try the fast for 2 days thing? Didn’t he lose almost a stone in a five week period after doing it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why don’t you tweet him and ask?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

No. He didn’t do it that way anyway.

philconsequence
    Free Member

cos my tweets are protected and he’d have to follow me to read the question.

was 2 days the maximum fastage allowed or could you do a 5-600 calorie day on alternate days?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Not as foolish as the cynics will feel lying in their death beds whilst you do a little jig and then head out for another marathon…

Providing the marathon’s no longer than 30 seconds 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The aim was supposed to be 2 consecutive days but he didn’t manage that apparently.

Jamie
    Free Member

My name is Martin Berkhan, and I have been banging on about this sort of stuff for ages.

http://www.leangains.com

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Initially he fasted for three and half days. Then it was suggested he try a one on, one off ratio but he didn’t think he could commit to it. So he opted for 5 – 2 instead.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

cos my tweets are protected and he’d have to follow me to read the question.

Not if you tweet him.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What I want to know though is does calorie restriction have to be as extreme as just 600 calories a day if you’re burning a couple of thousand through exercise??

Maybe an iDave style ‘eat whatever you like within 30min of excercise’ would give most of the bneifit.

I’ve not seen the program but……….

Isn’t IGF triggered by ceasin in the diet. i.e. milk? That’s why babies grow quickly and it’s such a good recovery drink and bodybuilders folow routines like GOMAD?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i think i could do a one-on-one-off pattern. i’m going to maybe possibly commit to giving it a try.

calorie limit on ‘off’ days?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No limit on the non fasting day. Trials showed that people tended to 110% of a ‘normal’ intake.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

So just fruit and veg? No fish?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

i think i could do a one-on-one-off pattern. i’m going to maybe possibly commit to giving it a try.

Could you do that for the rest of your life though?

I’m certainly tempted by trying the easier 5-2 ratio as not eating for a couple of days during the week whilst at work wouldn’t be too difficult.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d do it too, but I’ve run out of different coloured pencils for my training calendar.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Reading his tweets he says he eats fish on his fast days.

Low calories + highly nutritious.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Eat, Fast and Live Long – Horizon last night…’ is closed to new replies.