Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Easyjet – do they ever weigh bike bags?
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

I have underlined it and its in bold in my post above

specializedneeds

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
    An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment as set out in the table below:
    Currency Per flight (when pre-paid) Per flight (paid at the airport)
    GBP 18.50 26.00
    EUR 25.00 35.00
    CHF 39.00 54.00
    DKK 190.00 255.00
    CSK 690.00 970.00
    HUF 6,600.00 9,200.00
    PLN 100.00 140.00
    SKK 935.00 1,265.00
    MAD 275.00 380.00

OK so 50kg, with 32kg max weight for a single piece of baggage (ie the bike). Seems fairly straight forward, until you read the very next paragraph:

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
    Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee.

So now the max weight, including additional you paid for is 32kg, eh??

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Its really simple.

Standard hold allowance = 20kg
    Sports equipment charge (£16.50 each way)= +12kg included. Anything over charged per kg.
    Unless you've got a bike (£16.50 each way) = +30kg included

No single bag can weigh over 32kg for H+S reasons

specializedneeds

Ah, hang on… so you pay the fee to be able to take 50kg max, but you still have to pay excess baggage fees per kilo over 32kg. Except that bikes are exempt from excess baggage. 🙄

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The sporting equipment increases the amount of weight you can carry before having to pay any excess weight charges.

So you'd have to 4x the kg rate if you had a normal suitcase and some skis totalling 36kg, but nothing for a case and bike as long as its under 50kg in total (and they can tell you to bin any wieght over that!)

specializedneeds

yes sorry, your post is quite clear and so are the regulations really. Shame thay don't explain as well as you though! Your post came through while I was typing.

rkk01
    Free Member

Anyone got an email for these muppets – all contact details have been removed from their site 👿

Trying to clarify their somewhat contradictory (or missing) advice on baggage allowances

Stu_N

Update – flew Glasgow to Malaga on Sat 27th – they weighed hold bags (14-15kg) and bikes (about 25kg). Didn't look in bike bags. No problems.

Malaga to Glasgow today – weighed hold bags (same again), didn't weigh bike bags. X-rayed bike bags which looks well cool.

No XS baggage and no queries either way. Both flights were almost full and had loads of golf sticks on them as well as mine and 'er bikes. A good outcome.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

From 7 years of travelling around the World with bikes you will discover that ALL airports and check in are different. When we flew from Gatwick they couldn't physically weigh the bike bags as they have created these nice metal bars over the conveyor belts of which bike bags won't go under! check woman said if she could pick it up it was fine!!! No matter what they seem to always wap a "heavy" sticker onto bike bags too.

As previously mentioned this has been done to death! But when you pay the excess for your bike, your bike bag can weigh UP TO 32k, then you have your normal hold luggage as a seperate weight allowance. It also appears that airlines are now trying to tag a long and line up so to speak, however be careful, American Airlines excess baggage only allows you 23k and for a bike FFS!!!! I did ask on here before about a bike going over the 32k max and everyone took the pi$$ out of me!!!!!!

maybe they could have a section on STW about the different air lines and their bike flying policies, it would save a lot of man hours and repetitiveness of threads (not a dig at OP as easily missed and rubbish search engine).

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Newcastle an East Midlands certainlly use their scales..

My guide would be as follows

Bike padded out in a securely taped up box with any riding gear, spd shoes, lube, tools, gaffer tape and your wash bag. make sure that it's no more than about 30kg. (airport kg are smaller than real kg)

Everything else in your hand luggage (dakine cabin roller is the biggest you can get on to all airlines no hassle). If you bike is pushing the 30kg, you can put pedals, innertubes and shock springs (where applicable) in your hand luggage. I've had mine up to 18kg before now.

Helmet in your hand. It's too important to go though as checked baggage.

Alternatively frame+forks and a few bits and bobs in 1 box or bag (20 airport kg.) This box is your "bike" Wheels and further gubbins in another package(12kg). This is your "case", on top of which you still have your hand luggage. This is easier to manage if you're not into hulking all 32 kg in 1 go.

Boxes are much lighter than bags and offer more protection IMHO.

No arguments with check in staff required, easy, as Easyjet ought to be.

Any more than that and you're taking too much.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Easyjet – do they ever weigh bike bags?’ is closed to new replies.