• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Easy Yorkshire Dales rides
  • pb2

Tomorrow I’m heading off to Richmond & North Allerton with my non riding girl friend, I’ve borrowed a girls specialized for her to give it a whirl, any ideas on where we could get an easyish 10 or so miles in, thanks in advance.

stravaiger
    Free Member

Apedale and Harkerside Moor is not too bad – start on the road above Castle Bolton ref SE 041 940 steady climb up the valley then take a sufaced bridleway back along the top of Swaledale – cut south on BW to mieworkings and easy ride back to road – or over Greets Hill to regain car. Easy riding tho a bit of climbing

Or if really a non biker – go to Grinton – and follow the green lane along the valley opposite Low Row and either come back by the road or retrace your route – short and pretty

Or go to Middleham and just ride around the Moor and watch the horses training !

smogmonster

If your GF doesnt ride, id suggest that anything around Grinton or Castle Bolton will just about kill her. I live in Richmond…there isnt much easy stuff due to the hills. Northallerton is flat as a fart, and its all farming country, so the BW’s are basically muddy fields, avoid at all costs.
    Id suggest your best bet would be a road ride from Richmond to Reeth, enjoy the gorgeous scenery of Swaledale, 11 miles and slightly uphill mst of the way, but the scenery makes it easier, then stop for cakes at one of the tearooms…then ride back again.
    An alternative would be to turn right afetr about 4 miles towards Marske, turn left at 093032, for a short steep climb, R at 084016, then R again down by Telfit Farm, then enjoy the downhill through Clints wood, back to Marske, then the B road past Beacon Plantation back to Richmond. ALternatively turn R at 114019 for the BW back to Richmond – though this can be hard to navigate thanks to the farmers up here who hav out stiles all over, even though its a BW. Grrrrrrr.
    Have fun.

pb2

many thanks – weather report looks ok, fingers crossed everything works out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Easy Yorkshire Dales rides’ is closed to new replies.