Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Easy Jet Bike Carrier Restriction
  • peppeo76
    Free Member

Hi guys, hope you can help. I’m travelling to Italy this summer to visit family and friend and I’m planing on taking my beloved MTB so that I can ride both Punta Ala and Finale Ligure. Having researched the Easy Jet bike carrier policy, I have discovered that while you get 32kg allowance for you bike and no box size restriction, you are not allowed to put anything else in that box apart from the bike. This would mean that to get all other equipment (helmet, rack sack etc.) into another hold luggage will also cost me an extra £50. I guess what I’m asking is if any of you have ever travelled with Easy Jet and have ever transported anything else in the bike box or if you have ever been asked to open the bike box at the check in to ensure it was not full of other stuff.
    Thanks guys!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Been with easyjet a few times to Geneva from Liverpool to do the PPDS. Taken the bike in a box and thrown in helmet, tools and hydration pack too. Never been an issue.

footflaps

My bike box:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/hhx6P3]Road Bike Packed[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/hhy56a]MTB Packed[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

julzm
    Free Member

Yep same here. Took the bikes a few times in easy jet and packed up the bag with all the extra kit. I’m sure the girl at checkout even said you can put in what you want as long as it’s not over 32kg.

dovebiker

Flown with a bike a few times to Italy with Sleazy Jet – no one ever looked inside, simply on the scales to check the weight. Wrapped a bottle of wine in bubble-wrap and strapped it to the frame and it came back intact too!

Eddiethegent

Nope, they don’t check.

Remember that in most cases the only member of Easyjet staff to ever touch your case will be the check-in girl when she attaches the sticky label. Once you’ve taken your case to oversize baggage everyone from security to the aircraft loaders will either work for the airport or a third party. They won’t care what’s in your bike box as long as it doesn’t tick!

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – fill it up.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Make sure everything is well padded/protected. Wrap tools/loose objects. Get some bubble wrap/pipe inulation for the frame and forks. Cardboard in the disc calipers. I have witnessed the state of some of the bike boxes when they are unloaded by easyjets baggage manglers.

peppeo76
    Free Member

Thank you all guys for the replays and for taking the time to also upload photos. As I have booked the flights it’s reassuring to know that I’ll not be asked to pay even more on top.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Easy Jet Bike Carrier Restriction’ is closed to new replies.