Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Easy, flat cycling in Scotland?
  • Kunstler

Through my work (autism support) I’ve been asked to find a suitable place to support someone to do several days relatively easy cycling. It will be based in one place so I’m looking for day routes. In the past we have gone to Aviemore and ridden the logging trail to Loch Morlich and though we have gone round to Loch an Eilein, the last time it was “too bumpy” so we just rode back down to Aviemore. On another day we went along the Speyside way to Loch Garten and back on minor roads. This went rather well.

I’m looking for alternatives. I have a trip in mind for the summer from Fort William getting the ferry across Loch Linnhe and riding to Glenfinnan one day and down to Corran and back another. That’s the kind of thing. Good scenery and flat riding for about 15 miles. We’d want to based somewhere where there are good facilities for evening activities and wet weather options. Aviemore has been perfect but a change would be good.

Any ideas?

scotroutes

Mark and I had a similar “challenge” a few years back trying to find a suitable route for a young lady with a disability. We thought we had it sussed but found that her inability to safely ride on the road scuppered most ideas. Like you, we started to consider flattish off-road routes (Rothiemurchus was one of them).

Some other places you might consider depending on route length:

Caledonian Canal – towpath all the way from FW to Gairlochy
    NCN7 from Callander to Killin (or at least to the top of Glen Ogle)
    Loch Katrine (some hills but it’s all tarmac and you can get the ferry back)
    Tentsmuir Forest
    Culbin Forest
    Glen Strathfarrar
    Strathconon

I wouldn’t count the road to Glenfinnan as “quiet”.

duir
    Free Member
    towzer

Crinan Canal – (imho best bimble) esp the Crinan end

Also – see Gigha island – ferry across, tarmac road/cars a rarity/mainly flatish – a mellow, mellow place, nice wee disused harbour at end for a picnic and a pub and cafe in the middle

? Clyde islands – Millport is flat and round

Loch Glasan (NE of Crinan) – don’t know what route like

tomd
    Free Member

East Lothian (don’t laugh) is worth considering if you’re looking for multiple days in one area.

Plenty of flat and flat-ish tracks and old railway lines. Beautiful rolling countryside and sea views with great places to stop for teas and icecream.

Spokes do cycle route maps for the whole area and I’m sure you could do multiple days. There’s a a good rail service too so it’s possible to do one way trips.

Spokes Maps

Edit: I’m local if you want more specific route ideas give me a shout

GavinB

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest similar to duir, as there is tons of pretty flat riding around Ballater, both on and off-road. Ballater is a probably quite a good base, with a decent range of cafes, shops incl plenty bike hire options too.

Kunstler

Some very useful suggestion, thanks folks. A couple of things that I probably should have mentioned: we will be relying on public transport to get to wherever we will be staying and hiring bikes (as much as I’d like to take my own). This will be in the next month.
    It would be good to have a swimming pool somewhere nearby for days not cycling.

Road safety is good on quiet roads (the road I meant Colin was the one from Camusnagaul ferry on the south side of Loch Eil – been quiet ever time I’ve been on it in the past).

I know the routes from Callander very well and in cycling terms they would be ideal.

I’ll look into the other suggestions. Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Easy, flat cycling in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.