• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Easy family riding mid Wales?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m off on holiday to mid Wales, sort of halfway between llanwrtyd wells and Aberystwyth.

Are there any good areas for “family” cycling? My kids can get around the man made stuff in Bristol fine, but they are only little, so wouldn’t cope with loads of massive hills, or 3 hour rides. Fire road stuff or first paths are fine. They don’t crave ‘proper’ MTB. Any suggestions?

jekkyl

I don’t know the area but the sustrans map would be my first call. There’s the resovoir path at Talybont but that’s a bit of your way. The res forms part of ‘The Gap’ route, which follows the high track, there is a lower much easier track with a very gentle incline.

mrbotticelli

Looks like you just over an hour from CyB which has the Minotaur trail which is a good family blue. Did that with my family when the youngest was 7.

Coed y Brenin

There is also a little skills area which is a green lap with optionally blue, red, black and free ride sections which is good fun.

velocipede
    Free Member

Mawdach trail near Barmouth/Dolgellau – perfect for kids 😀

Nice places to eat at both ends (and in the middle) – did it with mine when they were 7/8 and again last year when they turned 18 – enjoyed it both times!!

Nipper99
    Free Member

A bit to the South of you but the track around the Usk reservoir is very popular with families. I am sure there would be similar in the Elan Valley.

geologist
    Free Member

The Elan valley trail. I regularly go there with my 8 year old, it was his first proper outing when he learnt to ride at age 4 ish . It’s about 8 miles each way , and very enjoyable for a family ride. It’s flat with one easily manageable uphill section.There’s a great cafe and play park at the visitor centre too.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cycle round lake vyrnwy.. Nice flat 12 mile ride around the lake.. Stop for picnic and lakeside stone skimming.

Then onto revolution bike park to send them off Dan Atherton’s table tops…

mt
    Free Member

Elan Valley would be great for families and more. Nearest town/village is Rhayader that has a great campsite and several pubs and cafe’s. Bike shop is Elan Valley Cyclery/Clive Powell Mountain Bike, 01597 811343.

Speak to Clive or Neil, there’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

Stoner
    Free Member

Trallwm is good for little ones

http://www.mbwales.com/agents/coed-trallwm/

greyspoke
    Free Member

I think you can do some relatively easy routes round Nant yr Arian if you stay high and use the fire-roads as well as the singletrack, but I am not sure if such routes are marked and this is from memory of several years ago. The advantage is the great scenery and red kites.

Leon
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks everyone. That’s settled it for me then, as I was trying to decide if it’s worth taking the bikes. I’d say definitely yes!

IHN

There’s the resovoir path at Talybont but that’s a bit of your way

and/or out and back on the canal from Brecon to Talybont

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Easy family riding mid Wales?’ is closed to new replies.