Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Easy (but proper) MTB ride in the Dark Peak
  • flyingmonkeycorps

What would you do for the above? Say circa 10 miles, nothing too technical but with a Peak riding feel to it.

Bit of background. My dad is getting into riding fair late in life (he’s 68) and loves pottering round Dalby red. At the back end of summer, to introduce him to some more natural stuff we went up and down Ana Cross in the Moors which he loved even more – he likes going fast. I ride the Peak loads and he fancies having a crack at that, but having walked it a fair bit he’s not keen on the more techy elements.

To give an idea – I reckon Lockerbrook descent would be on the limit of what he’d be up for, and he would probably walk some of the rockier bits at the bottom (that’s what he says, I reckon he’d ride it fine).

If it was summer I’d take him over Cut Gate, I reckon that’d be ideal, but I’ve written that off for the winter now. Any ideas for something to get him started, ideally around Ladybower area?

Bunnyhop

There’s some good stuff around Hayfield.
    Chinley Churn over towards 20 trees, Middle Moor, Rowarth. Back towards New Mills. Then a nice spin back via Sett Valley trail.

flyingmonkeycorps

That’s not a bad shout, I’ve not ridden over that way for a while. I’ll have a look on a map. I was thinking Stanage might be a possibility too.

thepodge
    Free Member

Ladybower Inn, Cut Throat, WLT, Derwent Edge, Down The Slabs

Cut Throat to WLT will likely be a bit boggy though

Stanage is busy and dull other than one bit that it sounds like your dad would walk

twang
    Free Member

How about Hayfield area?
    Over middle moor and Lantern pike and up on to Chinley churn from south, descending into Birch vale?

EDIT; beaten by Bunnyhop 🙂

or what Podge says but in reverse

BadlyWiredDog

Or if you want less technical again, a loop over from Taxal above Whaley Bridge, up the Goyt to Yorkshire Bridge then over Buxton Old Road and back over the top is is nice riding, but not vicious in the least. That said, if he’s happy with Cut Gate, he could ride pretty much anything no? Royce/Jacob’s loop maybe?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Ladybower Inn, Cut Throat, WLT, Derwent Edge, Down The Slabs
    Cut Throat to WLT will likely be a bit boggy though

This, but I’d start near Fairholmes for a warn up and pie and peas after. Set off down the East bank, can see the descent from there.

A bit of walking up from the inn but one of the best views in the area should help at the top!

mildbore

Hope brink Jaggers Edale to Hollins cross then down Backtor fm and back the way you came? Not too tech but some fun bits

muzzle
    Free Member

There’s some good stuff on the Sheffield side that might suit – have a blast over Houndkirk Rd (best to head from SW to NE particularly if the wind’s also going that way, which it usually is). You could also do the new Lady Canning’s Trail and one of the Blacka Moor descents in the same ride.

Garry_Lager

The Hayfield four leaf clover-type thing is excellent, but it’s a hard 10 miles for a beginner. Both the churn and middle moor stretch the legs a bit.
    Good thing is, though, that you’re never too far from Hayfield, so v easy to cut things short or take a detour if it’s a bit much.

crazy-legs

There’s some good stuff around Hayfield.
    Chinley Churn over towards 20 trees, Middle Moor, Rowarth. Back towards New Mills. Then a nice spin back via Sett Valley trail.

They rebuilt the double broken down wall on Chinley a while ago and since then the track through the middle of it is a total quagmire of mud and cow shit with a load of old stones from the wall hiding under it all. It’s vile.
    This is the problematic bit from the crossroads. The trail on the other side down the ridge (Foxholes Clough) or over to Hills Farm is still OK.

Esme
    Free Member

Eastern Moors Tour is easy but interesting, with spectacular views from the Edges.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers all, some great looking options there. Definitely some I wouldn’t have thought of (or haven’t tried).

When I say Cut Gate we’d probably just go up to the cairn and back, not dropping down to Slippery Stones – Jacobs would definitely be a tech too far and I reckon most Ladybower loops would too. A bit of climbing is fine though!

That Eastern Moors loop looks good, and the Hope Brink / Jaggers / Back Tor route sounds sweet. Guess they should be as weatherproof as anything around there too.

Not so sure about WLT / down the flagstones, I’ve always done it the other way round – the flags seem like a pretty crappy descent though the bits before that would be fun. More one for summer though I reckon.

**edit** Hayfield too, though it’s a bugger to get to from our way.

jimslade
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned the trail on Big Moor yet? You could start and finish in the Longshore carpark. It’s been resurfaced in (boggy) places and has a slightly technical side and a flat bridleway side, it comes in around ten miles I think, but I normally do it as part of a longer ride so not too sure of the distance.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Start from Hope – up Pindale (this would be a push), Dirtlow Rake, across to the top of Winnats, Mam Nick, along to Hollins Cross, then hang a sharp left and down into Edale (Cold Side?). Jaggers Clough, Roman Road back to Hope.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Easy (but proper) MTB ride in the Dark Peak’ is closed to new replies.