Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Easy but long(ish) offroad routes in Central Scotland/Edinburgh/Fife
  • dmorts

I’m looking for recommendations for rides (up to 25km) offroad routes in Central Scotland. These are something I can take my wife on, who’s not a fan of hills!

We’ve done the trail centre green routes at Glentress, but these are quite short. The Blue is longer but I think this is too much of a step up currently.

We’ve also done Peebles->Innerleithen->Peebles along the river trail. This is the sort of thing I’m looking for.

I think suitable routes are likely to ones that run along rivers, follow old railway lines or are long the coast, i.e. generally flat and minimal riding on the road.

Would appreciate any recommendations

fifeandy
    Free Member

Loch Leven Heritage trail sounds like roughly what you are after:
    http://www.lochlevenheritagetrail.co.uk/LLHT_map.pdf

13thfloormonk

Just off the top of my head, there is a lot of nice stuff between Granton (Edinburgh) along coastal cycle paths, through Dalmeny Estate (a mix of tarmac, gravel road, dirt track and even some really nice singletrack) and into South Queensferry.

From South Queensferry you can cycle across the Forth Road Bridge and pick up the Fife Coastal Path. Most of this is rideable on an MTB as far as Burntisland at least (I’ve not gone further).

This is all relatively flat, coastal, great views, lots of facilities, and you could make it an end-to-end with clever use of trains etc.

There’s even some really nice hidden singletrack along the way if you keep your eyes open 😉

scotroutes

Is Callander too far? NCN 7 from there to Killin (or as far as you want to go really).

There’s also tons of stuff south of Loch Ard near Aberfoyle.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Union and Forth & Clyde canals obviously, with points of interest along the way Falkirk Wheel, Kelpies, Muiravonside country park, Linlithgow Palace, Antonine wall, Roman forts, etc.

stigofthedump1
    Free Member

There’s a route from the main car park (by the river) in Callander, follows the sustrans route out past loch Venachar. some road to start then becomes pathway/track some small mounds along the way not too long but very scenic.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Edinburgh: The cycle up the Water of Leith from where it crosses the union canal and up to Balerno is nice.
    A very slight steady incline (1 or 2%) and a nice freewheel home

zigzag69
    Free Member

Also the old railway line now bike-path from Dunfermline to Alloa – NCR 764.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Water of leith as mentioned you can also skurtsome of the reservoirs.

With a bitof hike a bike alotof fife coastal path is good.

I kniw you saidno hills but…

There arealit of tracks out of peobles that head up along valleys glen sax being an example. Tarmac then gravel then grass but not steep.

See also glentress roads.

donald
    Free Member

A subset of the East Lothian Rough Stuff route perhaps?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-969/

dmorts

These are all great so far, cheers! 🙂

kcr
    Free Member

If you have a look at Sustans and CycleStreets, or similar websites, you can see interactive maps of a lot of these routes, and perhaps identify a few more:
    https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map
    https://www.cyclestreets.net

househusband

Train to Leuchars and then a lap of Tentsmuir..? Combine with a tour and tasting at Eden Mill distillery and brewery.

Can suggest somewhere to park other than the FC car park in Tentsmuir itself if you want to get further off the beaten track; PM me or email me – in profile.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@tentsmuir.
    Not been myself recently, but i hear they’ve made a botched job of resurfacing the main track and it’s not nice for cycling at the moment.
    FC are aware its no good and intending to bring in finer grade gravel to rectify, but not sure when that work is due to take place.

mr_stru

Last time I was round Tentsmuir it was a bit like hard work due to the resurfacing. That was a a few months back though.

househusband

@fifeandy @mr_stru There’s so much more to the Leuchars and Tentsmuir area than parking at the main FC car park and riding along the forest roads – I seldom touch them when I ride through!!!

redmex
    Free Member

Going around Loch Leven you can’t chat midges or beasties everywhere although a nice circle wee bit boring, Tentsmuir too much sand for me but that was many years ago but near a mainline train station Ladybank woods are much better so many tracks but may need a guide to link them all then there’s Falkland estate nearby pretty scenic. If you want to know more just ask

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Easy but long(ish) offroad routes in Central Scotland/Edinburgh/Fife’ is closed to new replies.