Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Easton hub bearings – a few questions
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I have some Easton EC70 mtb wheels. The front hub developed play remarkably quickly. However you can tighten the axles up in a similar way to Shimano hubs which is a nice feature. Unfortunately they have developed play again and this time they are feeling a bit notchy too.

So looks like its time to swap them out – I have looked up the type and its 6803 MOUNTAIN HYBRID AM

Firstly does anyone know what “MOUNTAIN HYBRID AM” means? Silverfish have 3 types of 6803 and are out of stock on “MOUNTAIN HYBRID AM” and only have “6803 MOUNTAIN HYBRID” so what is the AM bit for. I was expecting angular bearings as they can be adjusted for play but these just look like normal cartridge bearings…?

Secondly if they are just normal cartridge bearings do I really need to pay £8.99 per bearing or can I just get some standard 6803 for a third of the price.

I hate it when companies make up silly names for things that don’t give any clue as to what the physical properties are of the thing you are going to buy – does it mean ceramic? does it mean angular? or does it mean “bend over you are about to get shafted” ?

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Can’t help with the Easton rebranding rubbish but I would think the best thing to do is get the old bearings out and see what they say on them (usually stamped into the seal). Or measure them and match the type, seal type, material etc. and as you’ve suggested; order for a lot less from a bearing supplier.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Easton hub bearings – a few questions’ is closed to new replies.