Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Easton Heist wheels – any opinions?
  • olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

As title really, weight looks good, wide rims, just concerned about hub reliability. Reviews seem pretty positive.
    For a 120mm fs trail bike, for reference, I’m around 75kg and have been running 26″ crests on Pro2’s on a hardtail and fs without issue for the last couple of years, apart from a couple of very minor rim dings.

honourablegeorge

Rims very good by all accounts, but going on past performance I wouldn’t want an Easton hub

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’s what worries me, was also looking at the DT M1700 spline two wheelset which is similar and might be a more reliable choice.

ade9933
    Free Member

Considered Chinese carbon?

I’ve heard good things.

benpinnick

Heist wheels use a hub made by another manufacturer, and its a derivative of the very reliable RF one, so no worries on that front. That said, personally I think the rims are more trail friendly than gnar. However, if you’ve gotten away with Crests then Heist rims will be no issues for you.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have the ARC rims on Pro 4’s which I think are the same rims on the Heists and they seem pretty good so far; easy to set up tubeless and give the tyre a nice profile.

My experience of Easton hubs isn’t that bad. I ran a pair of Havoc’s on various bikes for three years without issue. I had to change the rear hub bearings once and the front had just died when I had my bikes knicked. The rims were champs too; despite lads of dings tubeless tyres always seated and held pressure.

Also had the DT M1700’s which were good wheels; stiff, reasonably light, easy to service and set up tubeless. I picked them up for a good price firm Rose but costs seem to have risen. I was going to get the same again when I replaced my stolen bikes but it was cheaper to get Pro 4’s built up on Easton ARC30’s.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Thanks people, they will be for trail use only Ben, good to know that the hubs have some history. Ideally I’d like to have some rims built on Pro4’s as my Pro2s have been faultless for 3 years, will have a look around and see what price I can get a custom build for.

I did a fair bit of reading up on these and the general consensus seems to be that the hub’s are sorted, the wheels are strong, but the rims are soft and ding easily

mindmap3
    Free Member

Thanks people, they will be for trail use only Ben, good to know that the hubs have some history. Ideally I’d like to have some rims built on Pro4’s as my Pro2s have been faultless for 3 years, will have a look around and see what price I can get a custom build for.

I managed to get ARC 30’s built up on Pro 4’s with DT Swiss DB spokes for £400, which was about £20-30 cheaper than I could source the DT M1700’s for at the time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Easton Heist wheels – any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.