Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Easton Havoc Carbon bar vs. NukeProof Warhead carbon bar
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

My current bar is just not working for me, after switching from a cheap set of SS bars to a Crank Brothers’ carbon bar with some width, my hands are full on cramping on descents.

I’ve played with tilt, stem spacing, brake spacing, lever thrown, and paying attention to dropping my wrists. No dice.

So… I’m going to buy something a bit more comfy – has anyone got a view on how comfy the Havoc or Warhead bars are? In terms of arm pump, or cramp on long descents…

Cheers

Ricks

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve looked at your old ones to see what shape worked for you before looking at new ones?

That would be my first idea.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

I find that I prefer a handlebar with slightly more back sweep (or rotated inwards a bit). I was having wrist pain after long days at Whistler using a Answer ProTaper bar. Overnight I swapped to Nukeproof handlebars and it was so much better. My mate who was recovering from a broken scaphoid was having some pain, so he rotated his bars towards the saddle just a bit and it massively improved the situation. This is obviously personal preference but something to consider

Perhaps also consider your grips. I find the Odi Ruffians too narrow, the Rogues too wide, but the Odi TLDs just right (I sound a bit like Goldilocks!).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

I’ve just looked at these bars, they have very similar angles, suggesting that they will feel similar. What are the angles for your current bars?

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers chaps,

8 back and 5 up worked well for me before, I’m on 9 and 5 now. Would one degree backsweep make that much difference, between comfort and cramp?

I’ve never really thought about bars before, but these are just painful on longer rocky descents.

I use ESI grips, have done for a about 2/3 years now – again not had problems before the new bars.

The new bar has a 30mm rise, compared to the 20mm rise before – and are 740, compared to 725.

Slogo
    Free Member

I had this problem it stopped when I bought a pair or ergo grips.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Slogo, I’ve had ergo style grips. You can’t drop your wrists with them, so they’re not for me.

I’m convinced it’s the bar, as the problem happened after the change.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but why don’t you go back your old ones or look for a carbon pair with the same angles, if you want to upgrade.

Also consider that if you are changing the width the bars then that affects the angle that your wrists meet the bar at. The wider the bar the more naturally turned out your wrists are.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Monkey,

I much prefer the extra width on the new bar for leverage, I’m thinking its not angles but construction that’s the issue.

I’ve had a stupid amount of bars in the past, and never had an issue with comfort. The angles look similar on paper, would 7.5mm and 1 degree make enough of a difference to give me cramp?

The previous bar was 725mm, and is being gifted to a mate, I could buy another SS bar, they’re cheap and work I suppose. Just a bit annoying going from a bling looking carbon bar back to a SS one! I know know no one gives a damn, but I like a good looking cockpit.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Totally understand wanting to have a nicer set of bars, I’m probably going to “upgrade” from the nukeproof alu to carbon bars!

I’m unfortunately out of ideas. You’ve tried rotating the bars – changes how much of the upsweep contributes to backsweep? Can you tell looking at the dirt marks on your old bars how these were rotated?

Has anything else changed with your setup or riding?

Good luck in getting this sorted.

Northwind

Surprised if such a small change in angles could make such a difference but I suppose if you’re right on the edge of what works for you it could… As far as comfort goes personally I can’t tell any difference between any 2 carbon bars, but Brant mentioned the new On Ones will come in a soft version which might add comfort for you?

captainsideburns
    Free Member

I just went from 600mm to 720mm CB flatbars. Was horrible for first 2 rides. Moved brakes and shifters in further than I thought necessary, discovered I had the bars under rotated too much and now they’re totally fine. Maybe more adjustment?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I much prefer the extra width on the new bar for leverage, I’m thinking its not angles but construction that’s the issue.

Just to make sure swap back to the old ones for a few rides and see if it gets better. (apart from your giving them away)

Take a look at everything that is on there – locations, angles etc.

What in the construction is getting to you? Too stiff? Flexi? Hands not quite right?

hora
    Free Member

Why carbon?

…..Dh carbon bars are stiff.

Superficial
    Free Member

Why carbon?

Yeah, I was going to say this. I’ve got Havocs and I like the angles but I’m not convinced they’re flexy enough to make them more comfortable than an alu DH bar. Whereas a lighter carbon XC/AM bar might be more forgiving.

Having said that, your problem sounds weird. Are your forks working ok?

suburban
    Free Member

if it helps, here is a summary of my recent experiences;
    i have just gone from 711mm havoc carbons to 780mm answer pro taper carbons. But i am 6ft3 and i just found the havoc a bit narrow.

bar/angle/control setup i have faffed with a lot and gave quiet different characteristics.

Mechanically there is a valid argument that a longer bar has a longer lever arm, we understand the reasons for this on stability but what it will also produce is greater vibration over a longer a length, the wider you go the more the vibrations. As pointed out above, carbon is inherently stiff, granted a 15mm difference shouldn’t make a dramatic increase, however that assumes the construction is identical. To rule out the width argument try running the controls the same as the old bar position.

I did have narrow grips with my bike last year, which i quickly changed out to my old tried and tested favourite, and that made a big difference. Terrian i ride is 50% rocky as hell.

Certainly sounds an odd one

windydave13
    Free Member

Is this your excuse for not riding the bridge on Saturday?? 😆

honourablegeorge

Superficial – Member

Yeah, I was going to say this. I’ve got Havocs and I like the angles but I’m not convinced they’re flexy enough to make them more comfortable than an alu DH bar. Whereas a lighter carbon XC/AM bar might be more forgiving.

I found my 750 carbon havoc much more forgiving than the 745 sunlines they replaced – nothing I could notice in a car park or on just one day’s riding, but after 3/4 days of uplifts, I was less tired, less hand pain, fewer blisters, just generally less beaten up in the forearms and hands. Convinced there’s some little benefits there, but nothing you can feel or detect without riding them lots.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why carbon?

But they do damp the vibrations much better, I never get arm pump and I’m no Adonis.

OP – Have you got shit brakes though? Just a thought because I only ever get arm pump when I borrow someone else’s bike with barely working Juicys or something like that.

Oh, and I’ve got the Havoc Carbon and it’s tough as old boots and dead comfy. Nukeproof would have to be quite a lot cheaper.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers everyone for the responses.

I’m pretty baffled, as most of you are. I’m certain it’s the bar construction, as I’ve never experienced it before – other than on the Gap descent right near the end – but this is only a few minutes into a ride.

I spent most of the ride at the weekend faffing with pressures, rebound, compression – nothing sorted it. Although I spent more time faffing than bloody riding!

The Nukeproof bars are £90, the Havocs are £110 – it’s still £20, which is a good few ales. Or a few bags of good beans.

rickon
    Free Member

Brakes are not a problem, I’m running Avid Elixir 9 Trails with 180 front and rear.

I was under the impression a good carbon bar would be more comfy than a good alu bar. Whereas rubbish carbon would be worse than good alu.

windydave13
    Free Member

I spent most of the ride at the weekend faffing with pressures, rebound, compression – nothing sorted it. Although I spent more time faffing than bloody riding!

I don’t remember any mention of the bars??? I feel harsh now, for restricting your fettling time. 😈

rickon
    Free Member

It was all about the bars. Bloody things are murderous.

Maybe I’ll give them to Lynton 😉

The only time I’ve had similar has been when doing a winter gully and my axes had been pounding into my hands.

windydave13
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll give them to Lynton

We’ve already had that discussion this afternoon.
    You sure you’re not just gripping too tight? I had that when my forks were knackered. Not had any problems since riding the 456 or with the new 55’s

honourablegeorge

rickon – Member

The Nukeproof bars are £90, the Havocs are £110 – it’s still £20, which is a good few ales. Or a few bags of good beans.

HAvocs often cheap at Merlin, or Bikewagon on EBay

Superficial
    Free Member

What I was saying was that carbon DH bars will be less comfy than carbon XC bars.

rickon
    Free Member

What’s an example of a carbon XC bar, which is over 740mm? I’d be after 740 – 760mm max.

rickon
    Free Member

Njee probably knows a bit about these:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=263

MTZoom risers? I’m assuming they’re tough enough for trail riding.

Superficial
    Free Member

What’s an example of a carbon XC bar, which is over 740mm? I’d be after 740 – 760mm max.

I don’t really know, I’m not up to speed in 2014. But I would imagine that RF Sixc/Fatbar light/Answer Pro Taper (all ?740mm) are all 30-40 grams lighter and therefore I would guess they’re a bit more forgiving than the Havocs which are designed to be a full-on DH bar. Just a hunch, I don’t have any evidence or experience to back that up.

Northwind

Crank Bros do a ridiculous 780mm XC bar, with a lot of room to cut down. Is it an Iodine? Can’t remember their XC name.

Personally I can’t feel any difference between my Havocs and my Havens.

chakaping
    Free Member

RF Sixc/Fatbar light/Answer Pro Taper (all ?740mm) are all 30-40 grams lighter and therefore I would guess they’re a bit more forgiving than the Havocs

No real difference in comfort from Sixc to Havocs in my experience of owning both.

Both are great.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Easton Havoc Carbon bar vs. NukeProof Warhead carbon bar’ is closed to new replies.