Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Easton Haven Wheels
  • kevin1911

These Easton Haven wheels seem to come in two flavours of rear hub: QR or 135×12/142×12.

Can anyone confirm (or deny!) that a 135×12/142×12 hub can’t be converted to be 135QR?

boltonjon

Personally, i’d steer well clear Kev – utter nightmare to get spares for

There is a good reason why they’re always massively discounted by Chain Reaction each year

Work lovely and look nice – until the freewheel goes and you wait 3 months to get spares 🙁

kevin1911

Oh, er, right. Thanks for the heads up. Time for Plan B F

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    llatsni
    Free Member

Avoid.

I recently tried to buy a replacement hub direct (could not find in any online store) as I wanted to go from the original – bad lockring – version of the QR hub to one that was 10mm and XD compatible. They beat around the bush for weeks then gave me a flat out “no”: if I wanted to replace the hub for *any* reason the whole wheel would need to be returned to the USA at my expense + payment for work & parts needed. That was the end of my relationship with Easton. I insist on doing all my own work.

dans160
    Free Member

Hope bearings and spokes fit so they are easy to get hold of and they are a doddle to work on. Mine are still going strong after a year and I used them all through the crappy winter. Tires are easy enough to get on and off and seal well also. No issues with the freehub either.

Having said all that no I do not think that that size will convert to qr.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My 29er Havens are still going strong after 18 months. No probs with the freehub, although I regularly pop the end caps off to clean and re-grease the insides so regular maintenance seems to be the key. One of the front bearings started getting a bit rumbly after 12 months, so I replaced both with a set of bearings from a local bearing supplier, and my LBS was able to supply a spare rear bearing kit without any major issues. My rear wheel is 135×12 and I’m running a QR conversion axle from Sun Ringle so that it fits my Ragley Big Wig.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sun-ringle-rear-conversion-axle-2013/rp-prod65450

ticsmon

I’m in the process of converting mine the other way round. So it can be done. You need two end caps and an axle. Got mine from Germany but sjs cycles my have what you need. Had mine for over a year now with no problems with regular maintenance.

MSP

I also use one of the sun ringle converters above, to be honest I quite like it and think it is more secure than qr.

I had a shit load of problems getting a conversion kit to change the front from qr to 15mm, really made me regret buying the wheels. I had the kit on order from hibike in Germany and cambria bike in the US. Neither had stock. After emailing easton, and then posting on their facebook page, easton said they would send me the conversion axle, another month later just an end cap turned up in a huge box. Thankfully by then cambria bike had got stock and sent it out, thank **** I hadn’t cancelled the order when easton said they would send one.

Easton’s aftersale service is frankly absolutely shocking, I wouldn’t touch anything with moving parts from them again. If you have a look around the internet, this unavailability of spare parts is a common theme that has been going on for years. I can understand something like that happening when a product takes off, but a company the size of easton should be able to get on top of it, and ensure the supply line is there after a while. Basically it comes down to, once they have sold you a product and have your money they don’t give a ****.

I have bought some spare spokes and the special nipples, just in case, because I don’t want to be chasing round trying to find them if/when one breaks, and I might do the same for the freewheel.

One thing other thing with them is that they go up tubeless very easy, but they also go down very easy, for some strange reason if you burp them rather than just losing a bit of air and needing topping up, they just completely lose everything. So I have ended up running higher pressures than I used to with stans flows.

ticsmon

Never had a single burp from mine running as low as 20-25 psi. Schwalbe tyres. Did snap one of the valves though trying to blow it up.
    Aren’t Raceface buying Easton ? Hopefully the service will improve.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Easton Haven Wheels’ is closed to new replies.