Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Easton haven or havoc wheels…?
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Can get a good deal on either at crc at the min.
    (Has to be from there as I have vouchers to spend)…

There’s 100g difference, and 2mm internal rim width difference…

Which to go for?

I ride a coil spring el-guapo 155mm rear , 160 front. Use it for mainly trail centre blasts with uplift days thrown in, don’t hang about, but I’m not exactly dropping 10ft to flat every 5 mins either… With 13.5 stone….

Thinking the havoks as there’s little weight penalty….

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

No nay-saying on bearing life…. It seems it’s been fixed by a free upgrade earlier this year….

jimjam
    Free Member

The bearing upgrade is only applicable to wheels produced after a certain date with a certain serial numbers, which if memory serves end in 15 (someone remind me). So the ones being sold on CRC may or may not be upgradeable.

Even with that there are still some sealing issues that could be improved. For the riding you describe Havens would be more than adequate though. Great wheels when I’ve used them on demo bikes but I’m glad I don’t own a pair.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The bearing upgrade is for any rear hub with a vide test ends in 1 (it’s anodised on the hub body).

CRC had a load f the upgrade kits which they were sending out although it was just the bearings and new end cap but not the fitting tools.

I have the Havocs and have been really happy with them so far. I bought them in March / April and they’ve been fine with regards to bearings (although I gave just fitted the upgrade kit due to he bearings getting a bit rough). The hub bearings have lasted longer than my Hope headset bearings which have just been stripped and regressed due to grinding.

I went with the Havocs because they didn’t weigh much more than the Havens and were 20mm compatible. I also liked the idea of the wider rim because I run biggish tyres. My only disappointment is that the freehub pick isn’t as quick as I’d like. My a SLX cassette has also chewed up the freehub, so I’ll be getting an XT one next time.

I think they’re good wheels, but I’d never pay full price for them (but I’m a bit tight).

si66
    Free Member

I’ve owned a pair of Havens for 18 months now.to start with the front axle arrangement seized solid within a week,the bearings were all replaced by week two and they’ve had another set since. After that the rims have remained almost perfectly true and once you get used to checking them before every ride, to see if they’ve loosened off, they have been excellent!!if they’re cheap they’re not a bad wheel set. Just a bit of a faff.I’ve used mine for lots if racing ,riding jumping and DH days .i run 2.35″ tyres and the rim is plenty wide enough

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Gone with the havocs, 100g is close enough to nothing! They will still be lighter than my superstar flows…. Should be plenty strong, and the cheap ones come standard with the 20mm front and 10mm rear I need….

With havocs, its coils and slack set, the el guapo is going all mini-dh bike on me! Love it!

philstone

I’ve been running Havocs for about a year, I have the bearing kit to fit but don’t need to yet..
    Easton US are very good with questions, so far I’ve changed mine from 9×135 to maxle rear (for my new frame) and now I’m just waiting on the parts to convert 20mm to 15mm (yes you can convert them) so that I can run Pikes.

Very happy with them!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Easton haven or havoc wheels…?’ is closed to new replies.