Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Easton ea70 xct
  • the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

So these wheels seem to be going for decent price.
    I was just wondering how strong they are?
    Im not expecting downhill wheels but do they flex or dent super easy?
    Are they any good?
    Cheers
    Paul

damascus
    Free Member

A friend had a set on his Whyte 146. 24 spoke, tubeless, lightweight etc. They were very good and took stood up well to snowdon and antor stiniog etc

The only downside was the seals. The bearings went in the freehub and spares were difficult to get. When we stripped it the pawls had ripped off and made a real mess. New freehub was eventually tracked down and cost 50 quid.

If you buy them keep upto maintenance on the freehub and you should be OK.

damascus
    Free Member

Are these the ones you spotted at £135? If not I hope it saves you money.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201008477031

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

googling “Easton” and “hub” would be put off. Havens are infamous for having hubs fail (massive threads on MTBR), but I ride with a couple who both have pimp easton wheels on their road bikes (EA70 and EA90 variants). He is constantly having to re-adjust the rear bearing tension (ie. mid-ride), She is an 8-stone girly, the wheels are on her “Sunday best” Cervelo and shes had hub bearings collapse. Twice.

mccraque

My ea90 hub went back to easton for a rebuild under warranty after less than a year. As per above post it kept loosening off mid ride- been fine since, touch wood

Nobby

Mine are only a few rides old (got em for mud/snow rides so they’d just set up with XR Muds). Been fine so far – no issues with bearings etc

If you’re looking for a QR rear & get told the 12 mm can’t be converted it’s not true – the ringle axle kit from CRC does the job.

jimmon2008
    Free Member

I’ve had a set on my zesty and rode it hard for well over a year every weekend in all weathers and have only had 1 issue with the free hub ghosting, but it was -10 and my lbs advised that the working bits may well have been frozen.

Also have a set on an xflow again about a year old and not one issue

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

It was the ebay ones i was looking at cheers

So basically as long as i keep an eye on the bearings should be ok!

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

*nobby that also sounds like what i need, cheers

northend1881
    Free Member

I got the Ea90’s from the same seller. Came with the bearing update kit from Easton in the box which was easy to fit and eliminates the freehub issues. Had for 4months with no issues. 135 x 12 adaptors from zyro and sun ringle 12mm to qr from CRC. Nice & light and seem strong enough to date on my mondraker.

Kuco

Easton do a free upgrade kit for the rear. Got one for my AM wheels and have been running fine.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Well, ive gone for it so fingers crossed they will be ok!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Easton ea70 xct’ is closed to new replies.