Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • easten haven 29 er wheelset carbon
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Apparently EH have very bad reputation,historically, for hubs packing in, especially in the UK.

Anyone know if this issue has been sorted anyone running em at the moment

Or has anyone any other ideas for mega strong carbon wheelset 29er that are light (sub 1500-1600 gr) not normally a weight weeny but I’m building a super light bike at the mo

Cheers P

br
    Free Member

Or has anyone any other ideas for mega strong carbon wheelset 29er that are light (sub 1500-1600 gr) not normally a weight weeny but I’m building a super light bike at the mo

With that wish-list I guess you’ve an un-limited budget?

angeldust
    Free Member

The Easton Haven wheelset from a couple of years ago, that CRC are still knocking out for less than half price, have a reputation for being badly sealed and premature failure.

Latest ones are supposed to have sorted out the issue.

the_lecht_rocks

SRAM roam 60 carbon have dt hubs…

boxfish
    Free Member

Light-bicycle rims from China
    DTSwiss 240s hubs from Germany
    Lightweight spokes/nips of your choice

This got me a strong, 1500g, carbon-rimmed wheel set for just over £550 (self-built).

EDIT: mine are 26″, so I guess 29ers will be a bit heavier

MadCowKev
    Free Member

The Easton Haven wheelset from a couple of years ago, that CRC are still knocking out for less than half price, have a reputation for being badly sealed and premature failure.

Latest ones are supposed to have sorted out the issue.

Just buy a set and when the hub fails just have them replaced with the new model on warranty 😉

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve seen some nice rims from flyxii (Chinese imports) they look good. The best ‘cheap’ carbon rims I’ve seen. Excellent finish. Not sure on weights though. They are 330 dollars posted.

pipiom
    Free Member

Ok I guess it’s a no for EH…..so possibly the Roams or has anyone experienced Reynolds????? On this one occasion I have a reasonably good budget….. Just want it light strong and light

Sam

I’ve got a set of these and really very impressed with them so far.

toons
    Free Member

i’ve just gone for one of these (on the front wheel).

http://www.derbyrims.com/buy-now.html

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you’re in that budget range then why not consider Enve AMs or XCs? I will always champion the virtues of hand built versus factory built wheels based on the ease of repair, wherever you are, of hand builts.

I’ve no experience of the cheap Chinese carbon rims that are appearing now but I’ve had a set of the Easton Haven Carbons and now run Enve AMs (these are both 26″ but it makes no odds to relative performance).

I had problems with the hubs on the Havens, four times IIRC, so yes the issues are real. Each time they were fixed but it was a faff being without the wheels.

The real bug bear was breaking spokes every six to eight months. On a trip to the Alps the rear lasted three hours of the first day riding before more giving up – I broke one spoke and then after that it’s game over as there are so few left to take the strain. On the third time I broke a spoke, I’d owned them for about 15 months and that’s when they went back and I got a full refund.

The Enves have been totally reliable in terms of build and strength and in my view at least, perform better than the Havens, being quite a bit stiffer. To get the weight you’re looking for I think you’d have to go with the XCs rather than the AMs though, and build them with Sapim CX Ray Spokes, all of which will be pricey.

Have a chat to Jonathan at Strada Wheels – they build a lot with Enve rims and also bring in their own 29″ carbon rim that they brand themselves.

pipiom
    Free Member

Many thanks fellas………I wimped at the final hurdle after being heavily advised by my LBS Bikestyle IOM (superb by the way)…..went for Mavic SLR’s in aluminium and weighing 1620g………. Free hub replacement easy and cheap and look pretty bling anyways…….after my first IOM e2e on Sunday on the Giant Trance X29er 0 (with alloy wheels) that got everything thrown at it I dreaded to think how plastic wheels would fair up or more important how I would feel with them under me……so it’s SC Tallboy LT….2014 carbon black…..Fox 34 Kashima both ends….Rockshox reverb….. Full XTR..+ the Mavs….. I’ll post a pic when i get it …………..I’ll be the guy behind it, living in a squat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘easten haven 29 er wheelset carbon’ is closed to new replies.